150 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use?

• Prosthesis
    • Cruthches
    • Wheelchair
    • Any combination of these

Hi Folks

another wondering moment :D

I use a combination of the above. This depends on what I'm going to do. For example, I have started to landscape my garden and am constructing a path. To cut this out, I sat in my wheelchair and used a wide head pickaxe. A bit like a manual, mechanical digger (JCB). I use my wheelchair downstairs and crutches upstairs. When I go out dependant upon where I go and how long I'll be out, I may wear my prosthesis and take crutches. Other times I use my wheelchair.

So please vote in the poll.

Thanks

Steve

Worn a prosthesis from day one and don't use anything else.

I do get myself tied in knots when I do some gardening though. Would probably be more 'manouvreable' if I didn't wear the leg while gardening but I'm up and down all the time so its not really practical.

Good question, i expect we all have different views on this one, but it is good for the forthcoming amps to find out how we all manage. It may give them some ideas as to what will be best for them.

I have only had my prosthesis for a few weeks and i am still in what i call my transitional stage. I wear my limb for as long as i can during the day,inside i don`t use any support, if i go for a walk outside anywhere i use either crutches or sticks, i feel i still need some support if i am going a distance, if i know for a fact that i will be going a long distance i will take my wheelchair just incase as i am not too sure of how far i can get before i will get tired or even sore.

Round the house i used crutches to begin with, before i got my limb, as my home is too small to use a wheelchair, i hopped upstairs.When i did house work i went down on my knees.

I only use my prosthesis and cant imagine using anything else. I waited for two years to be able to walk again - I'm don't intend giving up my leg anytime soon! I started off using a mixture but that was as I got used to using my leg, the wheelchair and crutches went as soon as possible!

It would be interesting to see what other people use in different situations,

Liz x

Don't discount the advantages of crutches vs. a prosthesis when you're an AKA with a very, very short stump. I have a great prosthesis. Couldn't ask for better, actually, but it's still slow and tiring. I find I get around much easier, much faster and wind up a lot less tired with my crutches than I do with my prosthesis. The only real inconveniences are that my arms are tied up while I'm walking (that's a biggie) and that my appearance is that of a woman with one leg which, of course, I am, so I've pretty much gotten used to all the stares and stresses that brings with it... almost.

I can understand why a BKA would choose to wear a leg 100% of the time, but it's not quite that clear-cut for AKA's.

I think laura is right....I am a BK and use my leg 99% of the time. In the beginning I know a lot of amps use a cane, and I understand why. You are somewhat shaky, bad balance at first. But I bought one and never used it. I just walked slower, made my legs work hard to get from one place to the other. I probably wove around when I walked more than I like to admit, but think that is pretty much gone now. (three months on the new leg now). I started the gym this week, doing leg machines, and have noticed a difference already. Feel much more stable, secure in my steps, and little things like moving around at home. Look forward to more stability as the weeks click by at the gym.

BUT, to answer the question.....I put my leg on now, first thing in the morning. I wear it while I get the kids off to school, get my little guy to preschool, then when I work out at the gym. Get home and take it off to shower, use the crutches to get to/from the shower. Then get dressed and put my leg on, go thru the whole day in it....make sure I have kissed everyone goodnight before I sit on the edge of the bed and take it off at night. I rarely need to "go" in the night, but would use crutches then.

I do have a pair of crutches in my car, in case my leg fails some day when I am "out"....or if I have a bad leg day, and it is sore. That has not happened in awhile but I know it could at any point...have to be ready.

I had a big bulky AFO brace, on a leg that didnt work, for so many years, that this springy new foot is a blessing...I never want to take it off. It took a lot of adjustments at the prosthetists...but we just about have the fit right...a good feeling.

Judy

Utah

LBK

about 99.99% of the time I use a prostetic. Once in a while I'll go with the crutches

I use my prosthesis, we've become a team and made a deal, I can't go anywhere without it and it can't go anywhere without me!!! :lol: I do use my crutches at night to go potty and that's it, the only hopping I can do is into bed. I use a cane, depending on where I am, like in the Mall etc, because the good leg isn't so strong anymore, if I intend to go any distance.

Sheila LBK

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It's a little less than a year since I became a RBK amputee. I'm about to be promoted into my second (final) prosthesis. Since my first one was made up, I've put on about 15 of the 30lbs I loss due to a chronic illness and surgery. Though we're told not to put on or lose too much weight, I'm not sorry I did. Now, at least healthwise, I feel better. I use my prosthesis as much as I can (not too comfortable right now), crutches for night time potty runs (hey, I'm a 57 yo woman) and during rest periods from prosthesis, and a wheelchair around my kitchen because the rushing and small steps wear me out. I'm looking forward to my second prosthesis because it's the Ossur suction one. The one I have a present is the one with the pin (one reason I don't use it during the night). Right now I'm using 18 socks which really makes things a bummer. I'm hoping when I get my next prosthesis to find it more comfortable and be able to get back to things like camping and hiking. My house is on a very steep hill, so not sure if I'll ever be able to walk up and down it, also, the terrain is really rough. I'm hoping one day to negotiate our flatter backyard. But, all three serve their purpose in my life at present.

Carole

I use the prosthetic - but also use the wheelchair - only ever in the evening if I'm at home and have bathed and taken the leg off. My centre didn't give me crutches and I've never had a need for them before now - so I don't know what they would be like for me!!

I'm 35 and have a RBK

Sue - Cardiff - UK

Well , i guess i fall ( pardon the punn ) :P into the catagory of a full time crutch user . No chair for me anywhere but , at least for now , i don't have to worry about mis-matching socks and trying to find my other shoe .

( sheesh , give me a creative outlet and i turn into this sort of nutty brained green haird chik ... note to self ... ease off on the coke drinks ) :P :P :P

I see a bunch of people use crutches to go "potty" at night. I just hop to the bathroom, or crawl if I'm at home now due to the fact I live in a two story and I don't want to wake up Zander.

ET

Yep - I hop too or sometimes walk on my knees - depending on how sleepy I am!!

My limb team don't give crutches to patients - they say that they are hard to use - but I've needed any before (not broken anything) so I don't really know how they would feel.

Sue - Cardiff - UK :rolleyes:

I hate being without my Prosthetic.... Which is really funny.... in the begining I did every thing I could to get out of wearing it......(example) putting dog food and beer in it. (Dobermans love that mixture) "Tara get it from the dog.... it's not a $ 10 grand chew toy"

But now when it hurts I tend to use my crutches. Midnight potty runs..... walk on my knees.

When I was still on chemo... my little brother took pitty on me... crawling to the bathroom.... he made a little indoor blanket sled.... and he would pull me to the bathroom..... Now that he is older and a smart mouth..... his comments are always "you have to 2 feet and a heart beat get it yourself" :rolleyes:

I use both. I use the prosthesis for business/everyday use. But I also use crutches for sports, recreation, & some unusual "off" days.

Hi everyone :D

I use my prosthesis all the time, even to go to the loo. I have had a prosthesis since I was very small only two years old. I use to have a great time with crutches and often moved about on my knees. I was also a very good hopper :D

Keep smiling everyone ;)

Larry , hopping BAAAAAAAAAD . ask me how i know .

My limb team don't give crutches to patients - they say that they are hard to use.

I don't get that. I fear this is another of the effects of the 'You're not rehabilitated if you're not wearing a prosthesis' syndrome the PT's suffer from that, in my opinion, is very misguided.

I get that for some or even most people, myself included for a number of years, using a prosthesis is the best option, but every leg amputee should know how to use a pair of crutches properly. It's not like prosthetics components are guaranteed not to fail and it's not like something can't go wrong with your stump that would keep you from wearing your leg for a day or two. Heck, a pair of crutches is a lot better than hopping as far as stress on your knee is concerned, so they should encourage them until someone invents a 24/7 prosthesis.

I am now basically a full-time crutcher and, even though I wore a limb daily for a number of years, I don't consider myself to be any less or any more disabled or rehabilitated now that I don't use one regularly.

Sue, Linda is right, you should have a pair of crutches, they help me a lot. I have two prosthetics and somedays I have trouble using one or the other for a long period of time, so if I don't have to clean, cook, do yard work or receive anyone in my house, I sure will be without the prosthetics and using my crutches. I like them so much that I have 2 pairs..I hate wheel chairs though, they take too much room inside the house, so I never had one.

Love you all

Dea

I'm a BK and use my prosthesis all the day. There is a pair of crutches in the cellar, but the last one who used them was my dad when he had an inflammation in his knee :lol: . My prothesis fits very well and I'm afraid of falling on my stump and not wearing a prothesis to protect it :wacko: . The other thing is that my boyfriend awakes when I turn on the light in the night, what I had to do if using crutches - so it's easier for both of us when I turn on my prothesis (what I still can do if there's no light at all) for going to the loo at night.

For having a shower, I've put a stool in my shower and when I go there, I pull out the limb in front of the shower, kneel on the stool with the amputated side and bring my other leg in. Having finished I towel my little one being still in the shower, turn my prothesis on and off I go. :D

Daniela

Well, I use "all of the above". I'm a DBKAA and wear both prostheses during the day - all day. I walk with fore-arm crutches normally, but use wheelchair for long hauls, and at night when the legs are off.

I am older (66), overweight, and have poor vision, and a lousy sense of balance, so am unable to walk without the sticks. So my vote was "any combination".

Hi,

I use prosthesis from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed in the evening and have done so since I got my first prosthesis leg.

I used wheelchair only indoors at home during the time I was waiting for my first leg. When I went out I used crutches.

Before my amputation I was on crutches, arm crutch, a cane over five years depending on the severity of my walking difficulty. Meaning that I am an experienced user of crutches.

When I started with my first prosthesis leg I used an arm crutch for one week for support, but found that it was only a hindrance.

I am now over three years amp and do not want to look back for using anything else than a prosthetic leg. It is almost the same as a real flesh and blood one, it gets you around anywhere you like to go and if you do not think that it is man-made you would not notice the difference. Almost only moment you know the difference is when you don it. After that, there is no need of thinking that I am walking on a leg that is made of metal, plastic etc.

Off course, I am fortunate of being only a below knee amp.

Kind regards,

Jukka

Other than a period of about ten days, due to a skin breakdown that wouldn’t heal, I’ve worn my prosthesis every single day for over seventeen years. I put it on first thing in the morning and take it off last thing at night. Even the days when it feels hideous :rolleyes: :D and I don't have to go out, I still wear it.

I have a walking stick at home, and one in my car, just for those days when it helps to take a little weight off my prosthesis.

I used a stick all the time for a few years before my amputation and was determined not to use one ever again. But the older I get the less, uh, stubborn (if that’s the right word) I am and will use one when necessary.

I can't comment on a prosthesis, as I've yet be be measured up for one, but I use a combination of wheelchair, crutches and Zimmer frame (all of which were provided by my hospital).

I'm surprised,Sue, that you weren't given crutches. Although my therapist frowned on the use of crutches in the long term, they were considered essential for getting up stairs, or through narrow doorways when out (especially my local pub :D ). As for night time potty visits, I was provided with a "bottle". I think they were worried about me stumbling out of bed in the middle of the night and forgetting that one leg was shorter than the other.

The crutches haven't been foolproof for getting up steps as I had my first encounter with the floor the other day. I trod on the draft strip on the door at the top step went forward and automatically put my stump down. Don't want to repeat that in a hurry!!

I wear my prosthesis all day every day. Although had to use crutches a fair bit in the beginning due to stump problems. I do have a pair of crutches in the house but thankfully haven't had cause to use them for a long time. Usually just hop/crawl (depending on soberness level) too loo at night, or just chuck the leg back on.

Mike

RBK

Scotland