Wheelchair/cruthches/prosthesis?

What do you use?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use?

• Prosthesis
    • Cruthches
    • Wheelchair
    • Any combination of these

I'm surprised,Sue, that you weren't given crutches. Although my therapist frowned on the use of crutches in the long term...

Although had to use crutches a fair bit in the beginning due to stump problems. I do have a pair of crutches in the house but thankfully haven't had cause to use them for a long time...

As I posted before, the use of crutches seems to be considered by a lot of PT's, hence by a lot of amputees, as a failure in rehabilitation. Why?

I mean, I get that for a lot of people prosthetics are a better option than crutches, but for a lot of others, crutches are by far the better choice. Why not give everyone the rehab that best fits the situation instead of instilling this idea that it's prosthetics or bust and if you can't use 'em right, you're 'stuck' or have to 'put up' with crutches? That just means that a lot of people are going to wind up with a false sense of frustration that keeps them from making the best of what they've got.

...my $0.02. $0.01 for your thoughts? (Hmm... someone's making a penny!)

I have my prosthesis now so I can update my earlier comments.

After receiving my prosthesis my PT gave me two sticks to aid me. I think the reason for this is that after using crutches for a while it becomes easy to rely on them to take most of the weight and would slow or even halt any progress with using the prosthesis. Since then I have had the courage to reduce my sticks to one and then for increasing periods none. I'm not sure if I could have done this so easily if I had still used crutches. I must also add that I may not have done this so easily if I hadn't seen the many examples of progress on this forum.

Having said all that I still have my walker, crutches and chair for the times when I am unable to use my prosthesis and still consider them essential items of my "kit".

I think the PT's job is to get you mobile to the best of your ability and usually but not always this is through using a prosthesis.

I am currently in a wheelchair, but I have a KAFO and crutches at home, that I am begining to use. I am also in the process of getting a prosthetic and if all goes well, I will use it all the time.

Hi All,

When I was a BKA I eventually managed to walk without anything. I am now an AKA and am having difficulty wear my new leg. I have wheelchair, crutches and sticks and I must be honest and say I spend more time on my crutches then anything else.

I am hoping that one day I might get a leg that feels comfortable. The one I have just now digs into the groin and apparently this is the way they are supposed to be made. :(

If any of you have a solution for my problem it would be much appreciated.

Carol AKA

Hi Carol

The digging into the groin can be a real pain. The CP's will tell you that is the way it has to be but keep on at them to either take a little off or roll the top of the socket. If it hurts its not fitting correctly and don't let them tell you otherwise, they have no idea what it feels like themselves!

Good Luck

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for your information. Have phoned to get appointment so will let you know how it goes.

Shame that the Prosethetis's think they know best but like you said they don't have to wear them.

Carol

As someone who has a dodgy right leg, and an amputated left leg, I tend to walk about the house and garden with a stick and prothesis as I do for any short distance outside. However for any length of space it has to be the wheelchair...

Hi All:

Myself, as a rarity, I use everything possible except crutches. Tried them once but failed so I evolved elsewhere. As ap erson without at least one real knee, I have to break my day and existence into "modes". Butt mode for alot of things / "scouch board for garage stuff / chair mode for speed and exercise and leg mode just to get myself around.

I use canes (one, two or none) in legs. Only wish I could stop without using a wall or master carrying something while I am in legs - some day - soon!

ED

I play football (Soccer to the Americans) on crutches, use a prothstesis all day long(At work ,I'm a surveyor), use cruches at night around the home, do the gym on crutches, scuba dive using crutches on boats & at the shore/poolside.

I think a combination of the two is healthy & essential for stength & stamina

Regards

1 leg rockin' :D

A/K 4years :lol:

Demand the right to be unique!

Paul, you say you use your crutches at the poolside, do you find it very slippy where it is wet? I fell in my drive at home, where the concrete was a bit wet, so I just wondered how you manage around a pool?

Hi Everyone:

I use my prosthesis all the time. If I have to get up during the night I use my pros.

For me it is just automatic to put on my prosthesis.

Lynne

I just wondered how you manage around a pool?

With care Pam :D I wear a diving boot on my remaining foot, there very grippable. If you go slow you build up confidence, 1 have'nt fell yet in 5 years! :D

PJ

Hi,

I wear my prosthesis (Bilateral AK) for most of the day. I use a wheelchair at bed time after I take my legs off, if I need the bathroom, to see to the kids etc, and first thing in the morning before I put my legs on again after a shower. I also use a wheelchair for "big" places on holiday e.g. Disney.

Up until a couple of years ago I never used a wheelchair at all, I "walked" on my stumps around the house at night time. Age, pregnancies and a damaged stump after a fall have all taken their toll a bit. Having said that, most days I wear my legs for approx 12 - 14 hours a day, so I don't think I'm doing too bad for an old gal ;)

Karen

You must have had some tough stumps. I don't think I could do it. I had an uncle who was lbk and at night, after he had his bath, etc., he'd walk around on his knees. Ouch, that doesn't sound good to me either!

We all have our own way of doing things, don't we.

I saw a program on TV a while back. It was about a group of amps in NewZealand. One of them was into cross country events. He was a double amp and had one short stump and one very long skinny one. One shot that made me wince was of him, at a competitive event, jumping out of his canoe and scrambling up some very steep rocks with just his bare stumps. He actually admitted that what he did with his stumps would have most amps cringeing at the thought of it

dear all, as im new to this , i couldnt wait to get my prosthesis after waiting from october to december for my stump to settle down, once they gave me my new leg i couldnt wait to get out of the wheelchair throw away my cruthches and get mobile again . the sheer joy of being able to move from a to b made any discomfort well worth the price i know that this is just a starter leg but the freedom it gives me is well just great. cruthches i found were ok but as soon as you need to do anything they get in the way, you put them down or lean them up against somthing only to find they fall down they clank rattle . i found them to be a pain in the arse (sorry am i allowed to say that ?) however in my quest to get back to normal (im lak) i do a lot of hill walking as you all know the problems we have going up hill so i purched a couple of light weight hiking (walking ) sticks which are telocopic (spelling) so they fold down real small and fit in my back pack for ready use , as for the wheel chair i found it was great in the hospital but not very usefull once you get out and try to use it round the house well thats enought of me i guss what im trying to say is that is my hope to use the prosthesis 24/7 thanks all mick

I use an old prosthesis with a pelite liner if I need to get up during the night, since it is faster and easier than donning the iceross liner and newer leg. I also tend to wear it first thing in the morning - I just have an old sock on it, no slippers / shoe. It has an old "carbon copy 2" foot, a bit of a museum piece by now. I own crutches, and there have been times when I've used them a lot, but they're at the back of the cupboard now. If I'm travelling, I manage without the old leg - wear the iceross all day. All day usually means 16+ hours, particularly if travelling.

I used to hop a lot as a child, but my good knee is not so great as a result, so I don't recommend it.

I stand on one leg in the shower, usually pressing the end of my stump lightly against the wall or the edge of the bath (if the shower is over the bath) . Although I'm not weight-bearing on it, it definitely helps balance / propioception - but this may be harder for recent amputees. I step in, remove prosthesis and place outside, shower, dry off, replace prosthesis and step out.

The only time I used a wheelchair was when I broke my ankle falling down stairs when my eldest was 14 months old. I would "bum" it up and down the stairs and use crutches while upstairs. One of the reasons we decided a 2 storey house was a bad idea... But that's another storey... :angry:

-K

I use an old prosthesis with a pelite liner if I need to get up during the night, since it is faster and easier than donning the iceross liner and newer leg

Not as fast as peeing in the bed then blaming your partner :lol:

No Mel, all my clothes are in there :lol: :lol: besides I'd have to get out of bed. Far too much effort :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a RAK amp and only wear my leg when I need to go out (which is quite often), or be need to do upright stuff with my hands. I work from home, and sit most of the day, so I don't really need the pros much during the daytime.

I have done a lot of hopping over the last 10 years (crutches really get in the way) and after a fall about a month ago, I have a lovely crunching sound coming out of my only real knee. Nice one.

So as a result, I use crutches (most of the time instead of hopping - I'm trying to be good about that) and my pros.

I have done a lot of hopping over the last 10 years (crutches really get in the way) and after a fall about a month ago, I have a lovely crunching sound coming out of my only real knee. Nice one.

Not that I follow this advice myself, but DON'T HOP!

I've managed to get away with it for years and I can't say I'm feeling the effects of it, but I've been trying to behave more and more as time goes by because I know it'll eventually catch up to me. :blink:

Hello again,

I am not sure how to say this to all of you, becaseu I care about you but IF YOU ARE HOPPING you are not THINKING about your Knee of you HIP.

I have been an AKA for 23 years and I didn't think much about it when I was 20 or 30 but now at age 43, I am facing KNEE SURGERY, something that most uf us (IF WE have a knee) will face.IT IS SCARY

I wish I had never HOPPED, jumped or carried heavy things, but I did

In reality we all weigh DOUBLE what we actually do weigh and then HOPPED on it.It doesn't just damage your knee it damages your hip and you lower back.

Please don't hop, crtutches are cheap, use them to get into the ocean, bath tub or wahtever.

We are all going to live a long time, we need that knee to keep it an active long life.Having knee surgery is much more difficlut when you only have one knee.

with love, think don't hop

UNIQUE