Wheelchair/cruthches/prosthesis?

What do you use?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use?

• Prosthesis
    • Cruthches
    • Wheelchair
    • Any combination of these

I realise that now <--------------hangs head.....

:(

Very wise words :huh: , combine all aids for a heathy life, my problem is keeping my weight down!!

I love a glass or two and peanuts etc

I swam every day on holiday such an easy way for amps to exercise

PJ :D

Hi friends,

I am a left above elbow and left below knee amputee.First thing in the morning after getting up is to put on my leg prosthesis ( I don't use my arm prosthesis;only at special occasions like wedding etc...).I use my leg all the day and at night I take my shower and afterwards I use the wheelchair within my home or I am hopping around until going to bed.During the night,if I have to get up to the bathroom,I use the wheelchair which remains all the night alongside my bed.Due to the amputation of my arm I can't use crutches what I would prefer very much.

Joachim

LAE + LBK

Brazil

Hi All

We have just found this topic (Doh). Anyway, our soldier friend from Iraq is undergoing rehab and he is a double below knee amputation - albeit one limb is only missing little more than a foot. Anyway, he has just started his rehab and has been provided with 2 sticks. Crutches were never given to him. His therapist tells him that in future he should be able to survive with the sticks although to keep the wheelchair in case anything should go wrong. If he needs up at night he crawls on his knees. Only used the wheelchair outside prior to getting his limbs. Midn you, he has spent 6 months in it due to other leg injuries.

There is a guy in rehab with him who is a single amputee below knee and the therapist goes ape if he hops. Says it puts strain on the other residual limb.

Not sure if this poll is still going but our friend wanted his thoughts posted.

Suzy

help

newby hopper

i am being constantly beening told dont hop by my physio team.

they do try. and i try

i have no crutches must not have them yet to early.

i have become a night crawler on all fours

to make the bathroom

im 53 bk 28 sept 05

i am looking to progress?

most use full thing i have found is a soft removeable stump cast that i bandage on

has any one else used one?normally used to surport sprained joints

very handed for us night crawlers bumps in the night no longer hurt

:)

Hi all

Hopping. I have always been told it is bad. And I have always done it. And felt guilty.

But today while I was at my prosthetist, he put a video on for me to watch. It was the paralympic revival (or something) from 1997 I think. I was watching single amputees doing the high jump. And let me tell you, THEY HOP!!!! Properly. And high. And with great gusto!

Surely if it was so bad, they wouldn't be doing it?? Tell me this is so!

Ally <--- secret hopping fiend

I noticed most of the postings on this topic took place a while ago, nevertheless, I see a few people still responding so I'll put in my two cents about getting around.

I'm a RAK, R-HDHP so wearing a prosthesis isn't my favorite thing to do. I can go days, if not weeks without wearing my prosthesis and I notice when I do put it on, I'm much slower and not nearly as nimble without it.

My primary mode of getting around is a light weight manual wheelchair - the sporty kind with a rigid frame. I haven't had a folder in years and will never forget trying to be cool as I was speeding through a common area at a university and decided to do a quick 180 degree turn and suddenly found my folder collapsing and myself on the floor. After that I decided that rigid frame wheelchairs were better for me and they also make better sportschairs if you're into recreation or more serious competition.

When I use crutches, they are the forearm variety although as I'm closing the gap on 50, (I'm 46 now,) I'm beginning to re-evaluate using longstrand crutches which allow you to make better use of your hands.

Since my nickname implies I'm into hopping, "pogoboy," I'll own up to the fact that I hop far more than I should and I have met a few amputees over the years who cautioned me to take better care of my one remaining lower limb and avoid hopping as much as possible.

Personally, I don't think much about what I look like, being in a chair, or on crutches or wearing a prosthesis and the most important factor is how much effort is it going to take and/or how long will I be out and about and what am I going to feel like afterward?

I think we all manage as best as we can with what we got - just like everybody else and occassionally when that able-bodied person holds the door open for me, I say, "thank you," and hobble through.

Hell, I even hold the door open for other people sometimes myself. I've made some pretty dumb mistakes over the years and you would think anyone who has suffered the loss of a limb or more would learn to take better care of their bodies, but we do tend to get caught up in the moment and press the envelope.

So long as we understand the consequences and not take it out on others when we exceed our physical limits. Life is about choices right, so choose wisely or choose capriciously. You can always make another choice.

Hi :rolleyes:

It's a year since I had to have lbka and in feb it will b a year since i had to have laka. I have gained 1 - 2 stone since then.

I mainly use my wheelchair, partly because wasn't sure about my prosthesis, number of problems with it, i am being fitted for a beltless prosthesis to see if that is better :unsure:

Is it only me that finds a prosthesis such hard work?

Not at all...walking with a prosthesis is hard work! It's harder at first and if you've had a series of surgeries within a short space of time. Your age, weight & your general health also affects your walking. No matter how good the prosthesis is, it's not the same as walking without a prosthesis - using a prosthesis to walk uses up loads more energy!

If you are able to, try to exercise without your prosthesis (e.g. swimming or upper body exercise) it'll help you when you're able to use your prosthesis more regularly.

Lizzie :)

PS Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks Lizzie :),

I did start to go swimming but OT could no longer go with me and although I managed to get in and out of the pool I needed someone with me to make sure i didn't slip and that's not possible anymore. But I haven't given up trying. :) Thanks for the welcome :)

TIn Soldier Here - Have just finished my rehab at a military hospital in England. I am a double amputee - below the knee - probably 7" below both knees. Anyway, until I started at rehab I was a "crawler" (night time one). HOWEVER, at rehab I was forbidden to crawl. As a result, I had to, if I wanted to get up in the night, use my wheelchair. I was told that by crawling I risked damaging either my residual limbs or my knees and if I did that then I would be chair bound. As my injuries included spinal as well as my loss of legs and I had already spent 6 months in a wheelchair - I decided that I did not want to become dependant on it again so gave up the crawling.

The OT told me that if there was a fire in the night was I going to crawl along on my knees or whizz out the house in my chair - I chose whizzing?

While I was in hospital, a couple of days after my amp, a fire alarm went off at 3am. I never knew I could move so fast... after the initial, 'what the hell is going on' I grabbed my dressing gown and was in my wheelchair before you could say 'where's my leg'. I was patting myself on the back for getting out of bed in record time, until I realised we were on the second floor and not able to use the lift if there was a fire.

Fortunatey the fire was extinguished and we didn't have to be evacuated. The cause of the fire........a very stupid man, having a crafty smoke in his bed, you should have seen his mattress they carried out, a huge hole burnt all the way through.

hi all :)

I must admit fire is one of my biggest fears, but living on the ground floor. I don't think I worry so much about it.

Pat I think most hospitals have a fire evacuation policy, which takes into account evacuating people who can't manage stairs for whatever reason. I know my local hospital know patients can be evacuated to another wing.

Julie :wub:

IM A 99% CRUTCH USER AND 1% WHEELCHAIR USER. I AM A THROUGH HIP AMUPTEE SO WEARING PRESTITIC LIMB IS HARD AND RESTRICS MY ABILITIES. I AM PART OWNER OF CAR SALES YARD WHERE I SPEND ALOT OF TIME AND PART OWNER OF A PC SHOP. OH AND 5 MINS AGO I FOUND OUT I GOING TO BE A DAD FOR FIRST TIME :D (NOT PLANNED BUT :D ALL THE SAME) ( SCARY BEING A 1 LEGGED DAD BUT HEY EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO MANAGE SO WHY CAN'T I

MERRY XMAS EVERYONE

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you. Finding out that your going to be a father, was to me one of my greatests moments. I remember my wife looking slowly at me as she told me, "the rabbit died", (just an old expression). That was 1958 and it still sticks with me.

I have always been so proud of my wife, but never as much as the moment I looked into her face when they wheeled her out of the delivery room and she said, "You've got your son". (Later, with 3 daughters, I was just as equally proud.)

If I remember right, having or not having a leg had nothing to do with it. :P

If you can handle that car lot and the PC shop, I'll more than bet that you can handle being a Dad. Noooo problem.

And a very Merry Christmas to you too.

OH AND 5 MINS AGO I FOUND OUT I GOING TO BE A DAD FOR FIRST TIME

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D What wonderful news! :)

Lizzie :)

Hey Hopalongwilks

Fantastic news. Just the best - you are in for the ride of your life. Congratulations.

And welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Ally

:)

I'll add in my congrats! I can't imagine life without my kids, even though now as adults they can be a bit of a pain in the backside, I love them dearly. Seems just yesterday that they were in diapers!

Carol

Most time I spend on crutches because I’m not very familiar with my prosthetic – I use it only when I’m going out – I work at home and I feel more comfortable without prosthetic. In percents – 80% crutch user and 20% prosthetic – maybe It’s pity because I have knee and well shaped stump but I don’t mind – it’s my choice although I’m maybe too lazy …

in normal live i use my prosthesis, at home i am more the lazy type...use a wheelchair, for sports i use a wheelchair, because wheelchairbasketball doesn´t work without a wheelchair. :lol:

when the skin is sore, i sometimes use the chair also for shopping ans so on.

ciao thomas