Wheelchair/cruthches/prosthesis?

What do you use?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use?

• Prosthesis
    • Cruthches
    • Wheelchair
    • Any combination of these

hi i will be brka in a few weeks and have been told that i cannot use crutches to hop round the only thong is my parents house will not take a wheelchair so my mum is woried ow i will get to see her

Hi naylor

When I had my amputation I was only allowed in a wheelchair with a stump board, I think it's due to swelling and the risk of blood clots..

When I first became a high left AK, I wore a prosthesis at least 80% of my waking hours. The prosthesis (actually several) were never comfortable, and the energy to use them correctly was high. I gradually shifted to crutches more and more. Today I use crutches only over 80% of the time and a prosthesis less than 20%.

Hi guys,

I have been an amputee for 16 years now (hip-disarticulation, right leg).

I started off with using one crutch with my prosthesis.

The unreliable knee of my second prosthesis forced me to revert to walking with two

crutches + prosthesis.

At home or in hospital I use a wheelchair.

At work I like to use my office chair like a wheelchair by propelling me backwards with my

sound left leg.

My arms and shoulders are strong due to my style of Nordic Walking with crutches.

There is, however, a certain numbness and reduced gripping power in my left hand.

Take care!

Mike RHD

hi guys,

I guess I'm a lucky one,

I've been LBK for 18 months now and I put my prosthetic leg on in the morning and leave it on all day!

If I'm shopping for a long time I use a wheelchair but hate the way people talk to me in it, so try not to. I know that's just vanity. I use a stick when walking my dogs in the fields too. :)

Heay,

I use either my wheelchair or crutches about the house depending on which room I'm going to and if there's enough room for my wheelchair in there. I've got the hang of moving my wheelchair about using just my one leg so am left with two hands spare.

At work I'll normally use my prosthesis with a stick four out of five days and crutches the other day. It can be a bit of a nuisance when I want to carry files around the office and I'm on my crutches but I've got the hang of carrying a carrier bag on my crutch and files in that!

If I'm going on a night out I nearly always wear my prosthesis with a crutch to support me.

I very rarely take out my wheelchair these days, partly 'cause I've only just got the hang of getting my wheelchair over the thresholds and out of the house without help and also 'cause I can't get the chair into the car without help.

I find I'm either quicker on my chair or crutches but am determined to keep trying and get better on my prosthesis.

Kev

I use my limb and limb only I used to use a wheelchair, but got upset by the way people looked at me, again vanity I guess.

I dont have any problems tho thank god.

Guest bearlover

I wear my leg all the time. Only use the crutches when I take it off at nite. Or I'm a knee walker! Yep sounds odd but i walk on my knees when the leg comes off :o :blink:

That sounds very painful to me. But then I'm a 46 year old with some sore joints!

Has anybody tried the ED Walker? (www.theedwalker.com) I saw it in the InMotion magazine. I'm debating about getting one. I called the insurance company and they will cover it, or most of it. I have a wheelchair that I used to use at night when my leg was off but I can't find an apartment that has doors wide enough for it. So, this walker looks like it would work.

Carol

Guest bearlover

I use Knee pads! But I also am thinking about the Ed walker! :)

I put my leg on when I get up in the morning, and take it off when I go to bed at night. (I definitely do not wear a shrinker at night.) If I have to get up during the night, (every night), I just slip my leg on like a pair of slippers, and walk around in my bare feet.

In the evening, after my shower, I leave my shoes off and walk in my stocking or bare feet, or occasionally put my slippers on if I go outdoors - or not.

I really don't do things too much different than I did before, except for slipping in and out of my leg as needed.

I don't own a wheelchair, and I haven't used my crutches in years - but I do have both pairs, (underarm and forearm). I just gave my walker to my 85 year old mother-in-law yesterday, because she needs it more than I.

Guest bearlover

I never had a walker in my house. Never wanted one. They pushed one on me, when I came home. I actualy had to say "What part of NO THANK YOU don't you get?" But for some people it is ok.

at the moment i still use my wheelchair

i hope to get fitting for prosthetics within two months when the last skingrafts are done.

i don't know if i can use crutches, because of my "hands"

are there people who also have amputations of fingers or hands, who can tell me if there is a way to use crutches or is it not necessary at all?

Guest bearlover

Sarah! Do what ever you have to do to make your self comfortable! Your doing great from the sound of it! :)

I think Bear's last comment pretty much covers it: DO WHAT WORKS, whatever that may be, to let you live your life to the fullest! I have the "full array" of adaptive mobility aids: wheelchair, walker, crutches, cane, "reachers," assorted specialized footwear and orthotics, etc., etc....... Do I use all of it every day? Heck NO! Have I had occasion to use all of it at one time or another? ABSOLUTELY! Am I going to keep it all stuck away in a closet, "just in case?" YOU BETCHA!

I intend to LIVE, thank you, "unaided" or with whatever aids I need to do it. Yes, it's irritating that I'm back on my walker for a week or two while my latest foot surgery is healing... but because of that walker, I'm able to do what I need to without unduly stressing my foot, so I'll use it gladly. Indoors or out. And if someone "looks" at me... well, that's their problem.

Guest bearlover

Yes Cheryl, It is their problem indeed. People love to look at my leg. But Ih should be use to that, They have since I was a child when I wore the big heavy metal brace. Now it's the prosthetic. LOL! Every one has their own style of comfort which ever works, No matter what it is, A walker, crutches, caine, wheelchair. or hoping! We all have our own comfort zone, :) :D

I never had a walker in my house. Never wanted one. They pushed one on me, when I came home. I actualy had to say "What part of NO THANK YOU don't you get?" But for some people it is ok.

The only time that I used my walker was in the shower. I would take it with me when I travelled so that I had something to hang onto, and could stand in the shower. I no longer need it for this purpose, so just gave it to my mother-in-law who has bad knees.

Walkers! Yikes... I had one right after the first surgery to try and save my leg; didn't use it then. I thought the contraption was a joke.

However, after I got my prosthesis, I got sliders and wheels for that walker and used it to the max in training with the leg. In fact, I still use it when I go from inside my house out onto my back patio. When hubby and I designed the patio, we didn't realize that the steps were way too high (it didn't matter then). I need that support when coming out of the house. Interestingly, I feel much safer going up into the house.

And, I laughingly pointed out to hubby the other day, "Look at the bottom of these sliders". He did. They are worn completely gone!

Hi, Marilyn...

I've found a number of folks (myself included) who say that "down" is harder than "up!" It makes sense to me on ramps and slopes: since the foot and ankle can't "sense" the tilt in the ground, and can't adjust to keep the foot fully in contact, I think you get much, much more of that slightly-out-of-control "stiltwalker" feeling, which can be a little unnerving.

I can't quite figure out what it is about the "mechanics" going downstairs that make it so off-putting for me. I DO it regularly, and some staircases are OK, but many of them give me pause. I can go UP, no problem... but DOWN is slow and cautious still, especially if there's no hand rail. On a completely open staircase, descending sideways often works better for me.

I recently had a more flexible ankle "demo'ed" for me... mine is currently articulated but with an extremely limited range of motion. My CPO says he thinks I'll eventually be a good candidate for a more mobile ankle, and that it should help with some of the activities I still find challenging. We'll see what develops!

Congrats on wearing through your walker-glides! I don't know HOW many sets I went through before I finally gave up and bought a pair of third-party wheels, which I stuck on the back legs. Wouldn't recommend four wheels/no brakes to anyone out there, but it worked for me when all I needed was occasional slight "steadying" and "moral support!"

take care... cherylm

Guest bearlover

I quess we young amputees! consinser walkers assoicated with "old age" I did any way. But for some of us younger amps they are good. By younger I maen under 50! :huh:

By younger I maen under 50! :huh:

Oh Boy!! I guess I know where that puts me!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest bearlover

AWWWWWWWWWW Only kidding Jim Iam sorry if I affended you or any one else :(

I recently had a more flexible ankle "demo'ed" for me... mine is currently articulated but with an extremely limited range of motion. My CPO says he thinks I'll eventually be a good candidate for a more mobile ankle, and that it should help with some of the activities I still find challenging. We'll see what develops!

take care... cherylm

'Lo Cherylm

Do you know what kind of foot/ankle you saw demonstrated? I'm pretty happy with my college park venture. I had a bit of a problem with it at first (I felt like it was throwing me forward) and my prosthetist made an adjustment that really helped. He said I was "fighting the bumper"... whatever that means! Basically I suspect his adjustments in the beginning made my foot more rigid (for while I was learning).

I wish I had personal knowlege of "feet" and how they all feel, the differences and etc. I know I'm making friends with my foot and learning (finally) that I can trust it on uneven terrain. But of course, I'm not zipping over that terrain! :huh:

Guest bearlover

I also had the same problem with the college park foot. I switched, and Iam doing well> Can't remeber the name of the obe I have now tho :huh: