Wheelchair/cruthches/prosthesis?

What do you use?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use?

• Prosthesis
    • Cruthches
    • Wheelchair
    • Any combination of these

I quess we young amputees! consinser walkers assoicated with "old age" I did any way. But for some of us younger amps they are good. By younger I maen under 50! :huh:

Bear, I know exactly how you feel... I was 50 when I had my amputation and the idea of using a walker really (REALLY!) bothered me. In fact, it was only seven weeks ago that I wrote a friend and said I would NEVER use a walker in public. Well, he gently wrote me back and told me the error of my thinking. It was after that I decided that I was not going to let my pride stop me from getting out into the world... Well, I used that walker and went everywhere -- the movies, the mall, a festival. Did I get looks? Yes. Did I care? Nope, not a bit (after I got my priorities straight).

Guest bearlover

:o I Know! I was 40! 43 now and they said "any one over 40 is incouraged to uae a walke :wacko: " Oh, but i declinned. I learned to use crutches at age 2! So it was no big deal. And after the amputaion the day after they came in my room with the crutches. and said you have to learn to use crutches :P Oh I learned 38 years ago I said! Show us they said OK I hoped out of bed took the crutches and they yelld SLOW DOWN They yelled at me :huh: I quess you do know how to use crutches they said! well DUH!

Marilyn, I'm not sure....! I've never gotten in the habit of asking about brands/manufacturers/models, etc... My CPO's not "big" on discussing items in those terms either. He'll go on at length about the technology behind the component, though... once spent probably half an hour sitting around and giving me the history of the development of different types of feet! On top of that, he sometimes designs and fabricates his own "bits" (I gather he holds a couple of patents), so sometimes I don't know if I'm seeing a "product" or a "prototype." It does make life interesting!

Way back in the beginning, he mentioned a College Park foot for me, as something "standard" my insurance would cover, and I think that may be what I ended up with: it's a pretty "basic" stored-energy-release design, and it's set so I have quite a lot of "action" to it... I definitely FEEL the action in my heelstrike, and there's a real "spring" in my stride. Took some getting used to, and a lot of adjustments to get it to a point where my weight was properly aligned with it, so I didn't feel like it was going to "buck me off," but I love it now!

The ankle I saw didn't LOOK much different than mine. My tech was wearing it; he said it was very similar to what I have now, with the exception of the MUCH greater range of motion. Basically, they described it as "looser" than mine: I have an articulated ankle, but the range of motion is slight and it's "stiff" -- it takes quite a lot of weight/pressure to get that small amount of "flex." This ankle had a much, much wider range of flexibility -- the degree looked "nearly normal" to me! -- and it would react with far less pressure being applied. No "sideways" motion, but for straightforward movements like forward lunges (or the ever-popular getting-up-from-the-ground), it responded much more like a "live" ankle. I was impressed! Figured I'd ask some more about it, next time I'm in there.

Bear, I wish I had your ability with crutches! As much time in my life as I've spent laid up with foot and ankle problems, I've NEVER managed to become even halfway decent on crutches... to this day, if I have to get up in the middle of the night, I either put my leg on or take the wheelchair. (I can also "hop" on my walker like nobody's business, but my ophthalmologist has given me strict orders NOT to do that... not good for my eyes / too much strain on the upper body. sigh..................)

Guest bearlover

Well Cherylm, I alos hop! Things I learned again as a child. I use to race with my crutches as a kid. But my prosthetist said that the hoping is not good for my knee on the leg hop on. I also "moon walk" :huh: With my good leg, or twist my self from side to side with my real leg :o It is amazing what we can learn to do with a missing limb :)

Marilyn, I'm not sure....! I've never gotten in the habit of asking about brands/manufacturers/models, etc... My CPO's not "big" on discussing items in those terms either. He'll go on at length about the technology behind the component, though... once spent probably half an hour sitting around and giving me the history of the development of different types of feet! On top of that, he sometimes designs and fabricates his own "bits" (I gather he holds a couple of patents), so sometimes I don't know if I'm seeing a "product" or a "prototype." It does make life interesting!

Bear, I wish I had your ability with crutches! As much time in my life as I've spent laid up with foot and ankle problems, I've NEVER managed to become even halfway decent on crutches... to this day, if I have to get up in the middle of the night, I either put my leg on or take the wheelchair. (I can also "hop" on my walker like nobody's business, but my ophthalmologist has given me strict orders NOT to do that... not good for my eyes / too much strain on the upper body. sigh..................)

Cherylm, Keep me apprised as to the kind of foot/ankle combo you get and how you like it in comparison. It does sound like you have a similar type foot as mine. I'll be interested in your evaluation as to the differences and the pros/cons.

Hopping! Yikes, did it, really messed up my good knee and then fell (really, really hard on my amp knee!) while hopping once, which cured me instantaneously! No more hopping for me! When I take my leg off at night, I use my wheelchair for late night runs. I completely suck at crutches. Although, I will say this: When I had both of my legs, and one was only crippled, I used crutches exclusively. With no problems. I think for me stinking at crutches is a psycho thing... I can do it, but I don't wanna!

AWWWWWWWWWW Only kidding Jim Iam sorry if I affended you or any one else :(

Of course not. :lol: :lol: I was just kidding right back to you. I rarely get offended anyway - certainly not about my age. I have an awful lot invested in these years of mine and am very proud of them. A grandson once asked me how old I wanted to be - if I could be any age. 18? 21? 35? I told him that I wanted to be 70. When he asked me why, I simply told him that I've already been 18, 21 and 35........ I've never been 70.

(This November - the Good Lord willing.) :huh::wacko:

Guest bearlover

Hey Jim, Happy Memorial Day, in the event your a vet! even :) if your not have a good day!

Hey Jim, Happy Memorial Day, in the event your a vet! even :) if your not have a good day!

Thank you very much. As a matter of fact, I was in the United States Army Field Artillery, 8 inch Howitzer Batttalion, FDC NCO (Fire Direction Control, Non Commisioned Officer), 1955 to 1963, with active duty, 1955 to 1958.

Check out my website: www.redscarfclub.com

The Red Scarf Club, was the name of our enlisted man's club in Darmstadt Germany, 1956 to 1958. The RED SCARF denoting the color of the parade scarfs worn by the artillery branch. (Infantry is blue, Engineers - green, and so on.

If I sound proud of it - no apologizes. I am.

AND, a happy and safe Memorial Day to you and yours and God Bless those that you have to remember on this day.

Guest bearlover

Thanks so much Jim! That is great! So be sure to have a good Memorial day! and thanks for my Freedom! :)

I wish there were more people who thought like you. There are a lot of brave men and women out there who deserve it - and not all are/were in uniform.

Thank you!!

I use crutches from waking to bathroom, then prosthesis for work, crutches for locker room to pool, prosthesis until bedtime, and then crutches until waking.

Freddy

Dont you find the crutches a bit cold in the bed! Most of us use a teddy for that sort of comfort.

Only joking, I do the same as you. Well apart from the fact that if i am asleep I dont go to bed with my crutches!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel

I use my prosthetic as much as possible.....I use a wheelchair around the house late at night and early morning before I shower...I just am not all about hopping around the house you know it's not good on that GOOD knee...LOL....anyway I love being here and thanks for all the PM's ... keep em coming B)

Have been amputee for 23 years (since I was 12). I left hospital on crutches and for about 2 years I used my crutches to get around mainly, I didnt really take to the false leg at first, it was much quicker ( to keep up with the other kids at school) for me to use crutches. Another amputee introduced me to Wheelchair basketball so for P.E. (Physical education) I used to go and play basketball in the gym, the wheelchair was great for "running" around in at that age, it was a good fun. During the last year at school ( when I was 15 ) , rightly or wrongly I remember receiving a little "talking to" from my parents regarding my false leg which was sitting in the cupboard a little too regularly. I made a real effort to get going on my false leg and with some perseverance I conquered it. I still use my crutches when I dont have my leg on or hop around (in the house).

As has been said in previous posts, do whatever makes you comfortable, but stepping out of your comfort zone (as I did after my "talking to" can lead to better things. Be as active as you can safely and healthily be.

All the best

Duncan

Guest bearlover

I wear my prosthetic about 12-16 hours a day. When it comes off I knee walk or crutch it :blush:

Well, after a lot of input and today's discussion with my CP, I expect to be wearing my new leg as long as possible every day. I can't use forearm crutches (burn scars on left arm). My CP was a bit skeptical about my decision to have a College Park TruStep as my first foot. He wanted me on a SACH.

I expect to continue using a wheel chair/walker/crutches/new leg as the situation requires and my proficiency increases.

Tests he ran me through were: hopping on parallel bars (I hopped backwards, which surprised him) Then I demonstrated the increased mobility in my left arm (completely scarred) last week I could get within 6 inches of my face, this week I can reach my right ear. I think I impressed him, but time will tell.

I hop as little as possible for all of the reasons others have stated.

Hi Jess, like you, I'm a BAK and wear my prosthesis from the time I dress in the morning till I retire at night... likely 15 hours. At night I 'walk' on my stumps if by walking, you mean propelling yourself on your bottom with your hands. I use 'push up' handles to get a little clearance and hop across the floor. Unfortunately our bathroom door is too small for a wheelchair, so I'm forced to bounce on my bum! I lift myself onto the toilet, bathtup and bed buy using a low step stool on which I place one hand with the other on the toilet counter, bathtub or bed to lift myself up. I've been doing this for 35 years and have gotten quite use to it. When I travel and stay in hotels I'm able to use the wheelchair to transfer, and likely one day when I'm older, will move to a house or condo with wider doors. :) In the meanwhile, at night you can just call me 'stumpie'. :laugh:

Well I have had my prosthesis for 3 weeks now but for the first 2 weeks I had horrible trouble with my socket so although I was trying to use it it was NOT comfortable at all--so for the past week it has been fixed and so now I am officially trying to use it more--the catch for me is I am not comfortable wearing it yet so I tend to take it off a lot when I am home alone and need to care for my baby. So when I am caring for the baby I use the wheelchair so I can care for him--if I am going to the bathroom or something where I am not carrying the baby or something I use crutches. Plus I keep the wheelchair close at night in case baby wakes up and I need to get him. The bad part is I even notice that I prefer to use the wheelchair even when someone is home to help because I can get things done quicker. I got to get that out of my mind and start putting it on when I get up so I get used to it and not so scared of it. :)

Cari

RAK

I think you are doing whats best for you at the moment Cari, and thats ok. Really it is whatever works at the moment. You will probably find when you get more used to wearing your prosthesis and it gets more comfortable you will automatically want to wear it more, it will probably just happen.

I am used to wearing a prosthesis but at the end of last year had a revision amp., and I have probably been doing similar to you, I was finding quite a lot of the household chores quicker and easier in the wheelchair, but probably the last month or so have gone back to putting the prosthesis on as soon as I get up in the morning, now when I do use the wheelchair to do things I am once again finding it a bit awkward, so can see I am now getting used to doing things walking. So much depends on how comfortable you are and probably what you know you have to do that day, you have a baby so .... you obviously have your work cut out there, adjusting to a baby and a new leg, sounds like you are doing brilliant.

Ann

I think you are doing whats best for you at the moment Cari, and thats ok. Really it is whatever works at the moment. You will probably find when you get more used to wearing your prosthesis and it gets more comfortable you will automatically want to wear it more, it will probably just happen.

I am used to wearing a prosthesis but at the end of last year had a revision amp., and I have probably been doing similar to you, I was finding quite a lot of the household chores quicker and easier in the wheelchair, but probably the last month or so have gone back to putting the prosthesis on as soon as I get up in the morning, now when I do use the wheelchair to do things I am once again finding it a bit awkward, so can see I am now getting used to doing things walking. So much depends on how comfortable you are and probably what you know you have to do that day, you have a baby so .... you obviously have your work cut out there, adjusting to a baby and a new leg, sounds like you are doing brilliant.

Ann

THANKS ANN!! :)

Hi all,

I use it all day (RAK) when out, and when i am at home doing things. I used to wear it all day until bedtime, but I prefer now to have it off when i am sitting comfortably evenings. Its heavy moving it when I sit, its all the way up...so off is better!

I never had a wheelchair , I use crutches at home because hopping is bad for the (real) knee.

Ellen.

Hi all,

I use it all day (RAK) when out, and when i am at home doing things. I used to wear it all day until bedtime, but I prefer now to have it off when i am sitting comfortably evenings. Its heavy moving it when I sit, its all the way up...so off is better!

I never had a wheelchair , I use crutches at home because hopping is bad for the (real) knee.

Ellen.

I use my prosthetic when I'm going out anywhere but I use my weelchair when i'm at uni (30 min walk plus countless stairs and room changes in a 9-5 day.)When I'm at home I generally use my crutches. Only been an amputee for around 6 months so working on using my prosthetic more often :)

I am a chopart amputee and when I am out I wear my prosthetic and when I am at home I am always without my prosthetic due to pain. I use to be able to wear my prosthetic day till night....not the case anymore.

I am a chopart amputee and when I am out I wear my prosthetic and when I am at home I am always without my prosthetic due to pain. I use to be able to wear my prosthetic day till night....not the case anymore.

Mary, why? Is your prosthesis that uncomfortable.... :smile:

No, my prosthesis is fully cushioned. I think at this point I just can't weight bear on my heel anymore. I have been a chopart amp for 19 years, going on 20 next month. It just can't take the pressure. Plus when I walk the skin moves where my stump and scar tissue is and it's causing some swelling/redness. After I have been on my foot for a while, when I sit down it feels like such a relief. My prosthetist has tried everything.

Mary