Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sueflayy

rash

hey all

each summer since being an amputee (2 yrs), as soon as the weather heats up, the skin under my liner develops a rash. red, itchy, bumps. i have seen a few doctors and one seems to have found a cream (prescription) that helps but not cures it.

this rash is a huge problem,, uncomfortable, and i worry my skin is being harmed

have any of you had such a problem?

thank you

sue B)

Sue...was just coming on to post the same question! I have started working out this week (translated, sweating more) and all week this rash has been threatening under my liner...last night I took the liner off and it was full blown, over my whole stump. Red itchy bumps....I let it air out in the evening, put some calamine on it, then had to wear the shrinker to bed so I couldnt air it out overnight...this morning is better, but will flare up again, I suspect, when I sweat again today...HELP!

Judy

Utah

LBK

I had a similar problem which has now died down a bit gradually since it first flared up. I was told the whole sweating problem would sort itself out which in a way it has. I still get a few spots but I ignore them and they go away eventually.

Saying that, when the problem first happened I was prescribed some cream that is used for fungal infections. I used it every night for about 2 weeks and this cleared up the spots completely. I wish I could remember the name of it, if I do find it I will let you know! I got given this by the doctor in the limb department so it may be worth talking to them about it (if you haven't already!)

Hope I might have helped

Liz x

:D

Hi Judy and Sue. I may have some suggestions for your problem.

I am a LBK, (april 9th 1997) when my leg gets sweaty and itchy causing the little rash/ red bumps I wash my stump and my liner with Neutrogena deep clean facial cleanser. I know sounds weird but it really works for me... I found this stuff to be very simular to the cleaner that is given to you before an operation.

Now when I end up with some rash big welts on my stump my mom suggested to try Penaten diaper rash cream...... it feels sooooo good, it cools the itch and make the welts go away.... my mom is a genius!!!

No when my leg gets kind of dry and is a bit itchy another great thing to try Gold Bond Body Lotion (medicated) extra strenght its a triple action relief(moisturizing/ itch relief/ soothing) hehehe sound like the commercal. Now only apply when you have washed your stump other wise you are locking the sweat and dirt ect in to the pores. This cream gives a really nice tingling sensation to your stump and then gets warm then goes cold. Feels really nice. Now make sure you wash the cream off your stump before putting your liner on again.

Another thing that I have just found is PROSTHETIC ANTI- PERSPIRANT SPRAY.

My Prosthetic tech gave it to me.... he said you could also use a stick of speed stick pit stick... it'll do the same thing. This stops alot of the sweating... no more linner sliding down and wrapping around my knee... and I have found my liner isn't as wet as it is when I don't use the spray.

Hopefully you will give some of these a try.... they have been great for me.

I strongly suggest the Penaten if you are going to try anything..... it's a life saver.

Have a great day ladies. :P

Hi,

I wash the liner with an antibacterial handwash (like a liquid soap in a pump) - bought it at Tesco. Works really well and seems to stop the rash. I scrub the liner every night with it. The antifungal cream could be Daktarin - used it for my kids before now and its really good.

I also scrub my limb every night with a soft bath brush and some of the anti bac soap.

Sue - Cardiff - UK :rolleyes:

Canistan is also an anti-fungal cream, but i have been using Sudafed cream, i first used this on sunburn, we were on holiday when my son was still in nappies, my husband managed to get his ankles sunburnt and the only cream i had was Sudafed nappy rash cream. My husband tried it cos he was really hurting and within minutes the burn had calmed down 100%. I use it all the time now for any kind of rash.

Hi Sue try odoban you get it from a chemist and if you follow instructions properly it works with the sweats Chris :lol:

Hi Sue - the same thing happens to my leg - my prosthetist gave me a product put out by OAAO BOCK - (the new generation) - There are three creams - Prevent, Clean and Repair. The repair is good when the welts appear but the prevent really works - If I ever run out I'll try the other suggestions but for now this does the trick for me. Hope this will be of some help. Take Care! :) Wendy