Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ampskier

locomotion at home

When at home without your pors. how do you get around the house?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. When at home without your pors. how do you get around the house?

• Hoppity hoppity hoppity
    • Crutches
    • wheelchair
    • crawl
    • walk on knees
    • slide around on butt (bum)
    • Don't worry about it. I'm an arm amputee.

I teld to eather hop or crawl (usually I hop). Once when I was a kid Bonnie, my loving adroible sister left a jack on the floor. I hopped right on the thing and barried it into my foot. That really really hurt!

Eric

Hello,

I hop, shuffle, walk on my knees, use the chair, or my prosthetic - depends on how I feel, am I tired etc.

I was once hopping and got my good foot caught in the rug - that was fun!! :P

Sometimes I hop / swing down the stairs using the hand rail and the other hand on the adjacent wall - it depends on how I feel usually. Oh and I also shuffle on my bum (its well padded!!) :D now and again.

Sue - Cardiff - UK. :rolleyes:

I tend to hop mostly but i have been known to crawl on my knees when doing housework and in the night if i have to go to toilet.

When i first got home from hospital i used crutches quite a bit, now that i have my prost it seems like hard work to use crutches if i don`t have it on, much easier to hop.

Thats me tho, lazy as they come. :rolleyes:

I always wear my prosthesis but on the rare occasion that I am not wearing it I use crutches. I never hop as you could fall and hurt the stump or worse and plus I only have one side and need to keep it in good condition.. If you do hop please reconsider as you could be doing damage..

I use my wheelchair downstairs, my bum on the stairs and crutches upstairs.

I agree with Brenda, hopping can cause harm. I've only once 'fell' on my stump and that was pure pain for over a week. Fortunately there wasn't any damage that time! The other thing to be wary of is putting hand's/arms out to 'cushion' the fall, you can easily break your wrist's.

So, lets be careful out there!

best as ever

Steve

(Who has just had a Hill Street Blues moment :rolleyes: )

I'm one of the bunch who voted 'hoppity, hoppity, hop', even though I know I shouldn't. I'm pretty much strictly a crutches person, and I try to use them while I'm at home, too, but I find myself doing the following much, mucg more often than I care to admit.

1 - Crutch to the living room.

2 - Remember I left something in, say, the study.

3 - Hop to the study, which is really close by.

4 - Phone rings, and that's in, say, my bedroom.

5 - Hop to my bedroom, 'cause I'm in a hurry to answer the phone.

6 - Talk a while long enough to need the bathroom.

7 - Hop to the bathroom, which is just across the bedroom.

8 - All of a sudden I realize I left the crutches in the living room.

9 - Hop to the living room to pick them up.

10 - Right in the middle of the way the doorbell rings.

11 - Hoping it's someone I know and trust, I hop to the door and open.

12 - They see me without my crutches and either wonder if this isn't a little wierd, or if they should offer to go to wherever they are and fetch them for me.

13 - Hop back to the living room. Pick up my crutches from the couch I propped them against and use them to get to the study to visit with whomever was at the door.

14 - Repeat several times throughout the day, varying the specifics.

Oh, this happens as much at home as it does at the office, but at least at the office I can ask any of the people around to be nice and fetch my crutches for me. They've seen enough of my hopping around it doesn't even strike them as odd by now, though.

I guess I should really try to behave a little better, shouldn't I? :lol: :lol:

I do have a wheelchair at home, which I outright hate, but it's useful for carrying stuff from the kitchen and back. I've never quite figured out how to get a hot cup of coffee to the study without spilling half and I'm not patient enough to heel-toe it all the way. ;)

I guess i would be the gurl who is on crutches all the time but , i hav eedone the hipity hop thing many times .... hmm , seeems to be a direct , can't think of the word to me tripping and falling too . Hmmmm, now i know why i always dye my hair ... to hide all those head bruises from falling . :P :P :P

Hi! Been a while since I've posted anything. Waiting on getting some 'stubbies'. ( short prosts. w/o knees) which will almost eliminate most use of the wheelchair. They will help me walk more and help with my balance. I'm up to 300 ft. now with the forearm canes before resting. Doing a lot of work on stairs and different ways to go up and down. Also working on walking up and down slight inclines. The progress is there but it sure seems so slow to me. Anyhow that is how I will be getting around the house soon, on the stubbies.

Vince

I'm one of the bunch who voted 'hoppity, hoppity, hop', even though I know I shouldn't. I'm pretty much strictly a crutches person, and I try to use them while I'm at home, too, but I find myself doing the following much, mucg more often than I care to admit.

1 - Crutch to the living room.

2 - Remember I left something in, say, the study.

3 - Hop to the study, which is really close by.

4 - Phone rings, and that's in, say, my bedroom.

5 - Hop to my bedroom, 'cause I'm in a hurry to answer the phone.

6 - Talk a while long enough to need the bathroom.

7 - Hop to the bathroom, which is just across the bedroom.

8 - All of a sudden I realize I left the crutches in the living room.

9 - Hop to the living room to pick them up.

10 - Right in the middle of the way the doorbell rings.

11 - Hoping it's someone I know and trust, I hop to the door and open.

12 - They see me without my crutches and either wonder if this isn't a little wierd, or if they should offer to go to wherever they are and fetch them for me.

13 - Hop back to the living room. Pick up my crutches from the couch I propped them against and use them to get to the study to visit with whomever was at the door.

14 - Repeat several times throughout the day, varying the specifics.

Oh, this happens as much at home as it does at the office, but at least at the office I can ask any of the people around to be nice and fetch my crutches for me. They've seen enough of my hopping around it doesn't even strike them as odd by now, though.

I guess I should really try to behave a little better, shouldn't I? :lol: :lol:

I do have a wheelchair at home, which I outright hate, but it's useful for carrying stuff from the kitchen and back. I've never quite figured out how to get a hot cup of coffee to the study without spilling half and I'm not patient enough to heel-toe it all the way. ;)

know what you mean. I was living in a two story appartment once. Drove the people down stairs nuts. They could not figure out why I was jumpping around my appartment so much.

It takes practice but I can hop with a nearly full glass of liquid and not spill any. The trick is to move your hand an arm in such a way as your body goes up and down while your hand stays level. Practice with cool water rather than hot coffy. Water won't stain or burn your fingers.

Eric

Hoppity Hop reminds me of a painful incident that happened to me when I was in hospital once. I was only 20 at the time and had been admitted for some skin grafts, (my bones had still not knitted together after 2 years) anyway I was out in the hospital garden talking to some lads (like you do) when I decided to go in to get a drink, hopping away down the path, going through the doorway and stubbed my good big toe on the door jamb, put my bad leg out to save me and bam another compound fracture, it it any wonder it will be finally going shortly!!!! :unsure:

So I reckon hopping will not be an option for me, I use crutches most of the time at the moment (have still got my leg, but is too painful to walk on), I weeded the garden at the weekend shuffling around on my behind.

Pam

Hi,

Being a BBK, I'm on my knees. In the begining I tried the wheelchair, but found it slowed me down. Grab the knee pads & hit the floor!

If I had a "leg to stand on" I'd chose to do the hop. Dangerous, but practical. I was on an airplane. At the time I was wearing super condular, meaning it squeezes above the sides of your knees. However, when you sit, it starts squeezing on the bone on the sides of your knees. So, I decide to pull out of the socket a bit in an attempt to sit more comfortably. Then it happened......the B**** next to me needed to use the bathroom. I forgot I pulled out. Stood up, 1 leg fell out behind me, went down like a ton of bricks & landed right on the bottom of my stump! :unsure: The complimentary peanuts that were in my left hand landed mostly on the people behind me. The people in front of me were doused with my drink. :huh: I reached behind in an effort to retrive my leg & attempt to shove it back under my pants. As soon as the "B" came back I hobbled toward the bathroom to unlump my socks & get my leg back on. The passengers sat there looking straight ahead. :angry: Acting as though nothing happened. The only tell tale sign was those damn peanuts adorning their heads! :lol: When I got off the plane, I couldn't bear weight on that leg. Since the other is fake to, I was SOL! Had to lean on a friend until I got a chair. Yep, ruined my trip for a few days. Been 15yrs & since I have this bone spur that sticks out of the bottom of my leg & can be really bothersome at times. Guess I broke something. Not gonna have a revision. Prosthetists just try to relieve that area.

About the B****? Never said a word to me! That's why she's a B****!!!! :D

Linda

My house is a Ranch style, single story and long, so wheelchair it is!

During all the rehab time I have had with this foot of mine prior to my RBK, I was in a non weight bearing status, so I found the wheelchair faster than a walker.

I have gotten really good at getting my coffee and while using my good foot to help push me as well as my R hand, don't spill a drop!

Janet :rolleyes:

I use my prosthesis about 99.99% of the time. I don't own crutches or a wheelchair so if I am caught without the pros I tend to crawl.

I'd like to warn all those who hop around: As well as the dangers of falling you are putting added strain on your good leg. I've done irrepairable damage to my good knee from hopping as a child!

Please don't hop - you'll regret it when your good leg cannot help you as much as it used to. :(

I have to go along with Brenda on not doing the hippity hoppity thing. One night I got up in the middle of the night for the usual thing. I always do it in the dark cause there's some light that gets in, also, the bathroom is three hops on my crutches. Well, I got these new socks from Walmart and I was wearing the one. Got into the bathroom, but gave up my crutches too soon. These socks had more nylon in them and zap, I started slipping and had nothing to stop the inevitable. I managed to protect my nubby, as I call it, but whacked the living daylights out of my good knee. It took over a month for it to stop throbbing completely. Thank goodness I didn't break my kneecap or I'd really have been up a creek without a paddle--literally. What truly amazed me was how fast the thought of protecting my nubby at cost came to me. I guess, as with those who are blind, instinct takes over. I quickly turned my good leg inward towards my other leg and when I landed, my nubby was on the thigh of the other leg. This also happened on a real solid tile floor. I was soooo grateful that I didn't hit the nubby on the floor because it may have shattered what bone is left.

The point of my rattling on is that should one fall hopping around, heaven help you if you damage the nubby that remains.

Carole

Hey Carole,

I like your term Nubby. :D I hate the word stump :angry: I ususally just refer to what's left of mine as my legs. For some odd reason my mother says my foot. :unsure: My kids refer to them as Dino. Ever see the Flintstones cartoon? If I'm in bed & raise my legs up to make a shadow on the wall, they look like Dino from the cartoon. :rolleyes: Makes my guys :lol: ! Ok, so we're easily amused.

Anyone else use a different term to define their limb????

Linda

A stump is a stump is a stump. Agressive-sounding little word, that... but it's a stump. I figure calling it anything 'cuter' just doesn't fit because one thing it isn't is 'cute'.

From time to time, though, I'll be unable to utter the word (bad day, or something) and the stump becomes my 'it'.

As for the hopping... I was a bit amazed by the poll, seeing as how we all got the standard 'thou shalt not hop' speech at some point and the 'hoppity, hoppity, hoppity' option is leading with over 33% right now. It was even close to 40% when I looked last week. The truth of the matter is we all sometimes turn to whatever's more convenient at the time and, if you've left your crutches somewhere else, hopping IS what's more convenient.

Of course, if you hop, you will feel it at some point, either because you've done some damage to your knee, taken a bit of a fall or even landed on your stump... but hey, I guess it comes with the territory. ;)

Same as Mandy I use my prosthesis 99.9% of the time. I usually put it on at 7.30am and take it off may be 10.30pm if its an early night or if its a night in town take it off at 2am then off to school so back on at 7.30am.

I crawl from my bedroom to the toilet n kinda use the bath and toilet seat to haul my self on to the toilet... Its kinda natural now.

The only times i do crawl is to the toilet in the night/ shower in hte morning.