Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sheila

What's your opinion???

There was an article quite a while back, in regards to a man having someone elses arm attached to him, tho I can't recall where. However, if the possibility was ever there, would any one here consider having such a procedure done to them and if not why?

Personally, I think it would be to emotional for me to handle, plus the infections, etc, that could show up in the short term, or long term of it all.

Sheila LBK

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

I heard about this too. I think he's Australian.

This procedure might be an option for arm amputees but i don't think it's much of a benefit for leg amps.

I read that he had to take alot of antibiotics to stop the body from rejecting this 'foreign body' and that the arm was really not much use to him.

As for the cosmetic aspects, yes it's probably an option but whats the point if you can't really use the limb to full effect.

To answer your question: NO, for me this wouldn't come into question. Also, i'm not sure i could deal with having a part of someone elses body on me....Then again, if it's a question of survival (e.g. heart, liver) then YES

However, if the possibility was ever there, would any one here consider having such a procedure done to them and if not why? Personally, I think it would be to emotional for me to handle, plus the infections, etc, that could show up in the short term, or long term of it all.

I don't know that it would be worth the side effects in terms of immune system supression to wind up with someone else's leg, specially if the function would be quite limited. It would have to allow me better mobility than, say, the best prosthesis available and by a wide margin for me to even consider it.

As far as the appearance, I don't know if it would actually be worse. I can imagine a wierd leg stuck to me with seventeen billion scars, and that doesn't look any better than a stump, really.

I guess there comes a point that, without you even realizing it, you've at least gotten used to the functional limitations and you've learned to accept the appearance part of an amputation, so getting such a radical procedure done with so little apparent benefit wouldn't be acceptable.

Now, if they figure out a way for people to grow limbs back... ;)

I agree with you Kaz, organ transplant is one thing but i don`t think i could go with limb transplant, thats not to say its wrong if anybody feels they could go with it. It just seems a bit Frankinstein to me.

Just my two pennorth worth, the person who had it transplanted also had it removed as he didnt want to continue to take the large daily quantities of anti-rejection drugs needed to keep it.

He was Australian who lost hhis hand in an accident whilst in Prison.

I have heard of this too but , i wonder , how would one feel if they had this done only to at some point have to lose it again because of infection or rejection . I think at least for me , this would be too much to deal with emotionaly . However as KAZ did say , if it was something that was LIFESAVING like a heart of lungs or something like that , yes .

My two cents. No I wouldn't do it as it has been said by a few I wouldn't want to go through all the pain of having the limb attached then have my body reject it and taking all those meds I'm not a big med taker. Another thing to consider how would they make sure the leg was the same length and size of the sound leg. And as you all know I'm a big runner and I couldn't imagine myself not being able to run again.

Yes MJ I agree, the thought of having to go through losing the limb again would be just another emotional rollercoaster you'd be on, NO thanks. But as Kaz stated a heart, liver, etc, in order to survive, that would surely be worth any risk involved.

Laura, that would really be awesome, sort of like a lobster, if they lose a claw they grow one back, ummm perhaps they ought to do more research there, so long as they don't throw us into the ocean!!! :lol:

Nope, no bonus breasts Lili, unless chicken breast will do???? :lol:

Sheila LBK

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Nope - me neither,

Wouldn't fancy all connected with someone else's leg...transplants are one thing - but a leg.....anyway, I'm only 5ft tall and I don't think they would find a Hobbitt willing to give up her leg... :P

Sue - Cardiff = UK :rolleyes:

At the rate that I'm going these days, I would consider a brain transplant I think! I'm probably not the best and most grounded person to comment on the subject, I'm afraid.

Phoenix , did you say BRAIN TRANSPLANT . ? I'm in for sure on that deal . Where can i sighn up for it ? :P :P :P Oh , wait , that wouyld mean that some poor person may end up with my brain .

I know how you feel mj! I have but one functioning brain cell lately, and I borrowed it from my dog! :lol: Trust me, if you ever met my dog he truly needs it!

I have to agree with everyone else, couldn't do a limb transplant, but life saving transplant...that would be okay with me...

Janet :rolleyes:

P.S. So mj and Lili...Like my rocking hamster? He kinda looks like Dee Dee Ramone, kinda cute and fuzzy...LOL

Hmm Janet , one functioning brain cell borrowed fromm your dog ? OK , i think we work something out here , you use the cell Monday -Wednesday , i can use it Thrursday and Friday and the dog can have it back for Sat. and Sun. . :P :P :P

You know, some postings are serious, and some just make me laugh out loud...this one is the latter. You guys are just plain funny, and a nice little break during my day.

I do have to say I would not have a limb transplant...I think most people that are NOT amputees might answer differently, esp for a hand/arm...they just dont "get" that a prosthetic is a better option. I remember seeing the story about the guy with the arm transplant and thinking that was neat....long before I was an amputee...now that I have done the research on prosthetics I would not think it was so great after all.

My mom was an organ donor, she helped ten other people get back to normal life by her donations. I believe a LOT in organ donation...just dont think limb donation is the answer.

Give me my titanium leg anyday!

judy

lbk

utah

Lili, I LOVE the new picture! The flying fairy is cute!

judy

lbk

utah

I was too, until I found out how much they cost!!! :lol: :lol:

Judy , with a titanium leg , you can become a movie star . :P I have some roles for you in case you want to hire an agent :

ROBO-GURL ... we NEED more butt kicking gurls in lead roles

The CHICK-nator ... why should Arnold have all the fun . We gurls can be just as much fun , smarter and way better looking too . :P :P :P ( also can be called TERMI-chick )

Judge Judy 11 ... the sentencing queen ... you can sentence bad guys AND kick thier butts at the same time . ( hmmm , i know one or two who could use you new found powers )

STAR TREK ... you can be a borg gurl and we can all say , " we KNOW her " .. yaaaaaaaaahhhhh .

Let me know if my services as agnet are needed . :P :P :P

GURLS RULE :D :D :D

I like the Angelina Jolie idea! She needs a new brain anyways, look who she married! Anyone willing to perform the transplant for me? How about you Lili? I'd hire The Crazy Clown Girl, but I'd be afraid that she might dye my hair while I was under anesthesia!

Phoenix said : ".... I'd hire The Crazy Clown Girl, but I'd be afraid that she might dye my hair while I was under anesthesia! ...."

I say : hehehehehehehehehehe........You can pick any color you like ... the more colors the better , and i will then do it my way anyway . hehehehehehehe.. :P :P :P Hmmm , i think for you , fire orange , some red , yellow , and a touch or purple . :P :P :P

Lilli, I think you've the answer to all our problems, WING transplants, that would be cool. :rolleyes:

Pam