Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
marianne

OFF topic ... need computer help real bad ...

HEEEEEEELP ,

Over the past few days , my coputer has crashed so many times that I have been calling my internet service provider / tech support staff so many times now are now asking me for dates ... and we hardly met . On one of them , my main one , i am running WIN-DOZE XP PRO. and it will crash somewtimes when it get statrted up for the first time and other times , i can be having a great conversation on my YM or surfing and CRASH . GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR .

I use my anti virus thingie all the time to see if my crap-uter is sick an dit keeps telling me that it is just fine ... sort of like most Dr.s these days . I have even gone onthe WIN-DOZE web site to download all the latest patches and upgrades but my rust bucket won't even accept them anymore . I was going to take it outside and kick it to death but if i did that , i would fall down so , if anyone out there has any other ideas , i would not only be gratefull but , also happy to not have to be cut off all the time .

I supose that i could use my older computer for my YM stuff but it would have to be all set up and i .... well ... I sort of forgot hwo it did all that on my other one . ( wil also accept personal brain memory lessons :P :P :P )So save me from those IPS tech support people always asking for dates , ( just not all of thier type :P :P :P ) save me from going MORE insane , give me the answers to the problem and let me sleep in peace . :D :D :D

Well , that's it for now i guess so , sorry for this off topic stuff .

"...dazed and confused for so long it's not true ..."

( Jimmy Page ...Led Zeplin )

Hi Marianne, it sounds like your pc could be infected with a new worm called the 'Sasser' virus. It does not need e-mails to spread, it just uses a windows vulnerability. If you follow these links you should be able to find help to check if your pc is infected and how to get rid:

This one for the Sasser virus:

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32sassera.html

And if that doesn't work follow this one to check through the list of other new viruses to get help to check for them and eliminate them:

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/aup/viruslist.html

Hope this helps....

Hi Marianne

It sounds like the sasser bug. Do what Cazzy1 say's. If this doesn't work, go to 'restore' and choose a date prior to the 'crashes' you're experiencing. Then 'restore' to that date. You may lose a few 'prog's' but it may help. When you've done this, either do what Cazzy1 has said and/or go to MSN and follow the links for the windows patches. On MSN's site they can check your system for Sasser and other bugs.

Just a mute point, do you have Symantec/Norton anti-virus programs? And a fire wall? installed.

If push comes to shove, you may only need a new hard drive replaced.

Good luck

Steve

(Who at the mention of bugs, starts itching :D )

MJ,

One other thing have you run defrag?

To all of you who have replyed so far , thanks a huge bunch but i have still only one thing to say : GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR . I have tried all the stuff suggestted so far but Lili gurl , i am told that crazy gurlz like me are not allowed to play with things that go bang so , i will have to find some other way of following your idea . GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Hi Marianne,

I've got a PC Repair and Maintenance Workshop at the Training Centre where I work - They work on this kind of stuff all the time.

I will ask tomorrow and post here tomorrow evening for you.

Sue - Cardiff - UK :rolleyes:

I think I just read somewhere back, that jberna-(judy) was having a problem with her's crashing also, perhaps she can help, that is, if she has crashed. :(

Sheila LBK

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

I have to admitt , i am starting to like Lili's idea more and more . :P :P :P Hmmmm , i wonder , can all this hair dye have finally caused my to either lose it or at the very least have these ideas that things that go bang are good ? :P :P :P

Lili gurl , surely you MUST have another name cooked for me by now . :D :D :D

This Lili gurl knows something she'z not saying . How else can she explain HOW she knows who my shrink lady is . It;s not like i wouldn't WANT to be a Dr, or something like that but , brain cellshave other ideas . If it's any sort of like consolation , i SEE one ... does this help at all ? :P :P :P

Yeah...I am back...after getting that Sasser bug too....did the same thing to me...would *allow* me different times on the computer...sometimes five minutes, sometimes ten, but then out of the blue would give me a notice that in 60 seconds it would be automatically shutting down, so start saving your data! SO frustrating! Then it would count down 60 seconds and sure enough, turn my computer totally off....not fun! My husband warned me that we probably had the sasser bug so I could NOT send anything out until we got it fixed...BUMMER!

I ended up calling my internet company, went to their website, where they had a link to clean out the sasser bug....took about 15 minutes, went thru every file, ended up deleting 13, but nothing important that I can tell. Then I went in and downloaded all the security features windows said I didnt have and needed...and since then I have had my *old* computer back...NO problems...HOOORAY! I really MISSED my computer time with my amp. friends!

SO now is my chance to catch up and we went in today to get my three year olds cough checked out and turns out he has pneumonia! So looks like my computer time will once again be limited the next few days...have some rocking chair time calling my name....pretty precious to me, dont want to waste it! Three year olds dont commonly slow down long enough to be rocked...gotta take advantage when I can!

Hope my little sasser story helped .....I am really computer stupid, but did this all myself, SO proud of myself!

Hope yours is fixed by now...three days worth and I was about to shoot the darn thing!

Judy

Utah

LBK

OK, as we are on the subject of poorly pc`s, i need some help. My pc just won`t let me print anything from the internet, it won`t even let me save anything. Big problem for my 14 yr old son as he uses the pc for homework quite a lot. :(

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening.

Please help, i`m not very pc savvy and i don`t want to do harm by fiddling around with things i know nothing about. :rolleyes:

Hi Lesley,

has the printer ever printed from the internet? If it has, it may be that you need to re-install the printer software.

I mostly 'copy' items from the internet then paste them on a blank page on Microsoft Works. That way I don't get the 'frames', just the script. The only exception is emails.

Best regards

Steve

Hi Lesley

Your description of your problem is a little general. Is it possible to provide details?

(i.e error messages, can you print from normal applications, how are you trying to print? What are your PC specs...hard disk size, memory...how much is free?)

It may be that you need to update your printer drivers as Steve says, and it could be that your system is running low on memory. Its difficult to say though without any specifics.

Please excuse the 'pc support person speak' - I am in the IT industry and its really frustrating when a customer says 'my pc doesn't work' and you're expected to work miracles from this tiny and very vague piece of information! :P

Please feel free to e-mail me if you would like more help.

Best Wishes

Mandy

Thanks Mandy, i will make a note of exactly what happens etc. and i will email you. I am not great on the finer points of computers, my son can usually work it out but this one has stumped us. I tried posting on a windows site but didn`t get anywhere, so thanks for the offer.

Thanks also doggie, it seems my son has been pasting his stuff through to word and it seems to be fine for him that way, he says better than nothing anyway.

Thanks both of you for your help :)

Hi all,

Checked with our I.T. Dept in work - They say it sounds like the sasser virus and apparently there is a downloadable 'cure' on the Microsoft site.

Good Luck.....

Sue - Cardiff - UK :rolleyes: