Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jukka

Sailing

Hi there,

Is there any amp who does sailing? I have just been thinking that could the peg leg be better for that purpose. On a small sailing boat of 30 foot length the decks tend to be curved and normal full foot leg is a bit difficult to manoeuvre. Has anyone tried a peg leg on a sailing boat?

My friend left me a saing boat, Jong 88, to look after. It means that I must go sailing quite often, otherwise the boat will deteriorate in tropical climate. I used to sail with him, but did not move much on the boat whilst we were on the move, just handled the boat from the cockpit. Now I found another friend who is keen on sailing. If I would like to go to fore part of the boat for any reason, I feel the normal leg very clumsy. I am a LBKA, so I do not have much mobility problem otherwise.

This is a racing boat, very fun to sail, and fast. A little more than 30 foot in length.

Would there be anyone to provide me with a comment?

Thanks,

Jukka

Kind regards,

Jukka

Hi Jukka,

well, i windsurf....not exactly the same as being on a sailing boat but still ....Manoevering on a small board is pretty much the same as moving around on deck. Same material and actually more tricky..... due to the compactness.

I have slipped many times on this slippery surface. I wear a swim foot that doesn't really grip the board too well. But i just put on those rubbery slipper shoe thingies that most 'sailors' wear. It has made a big difference and helped me loads.

Try them out. They work!

Happy sailing..... :D :D

Thanks Karen,

Windsurfing sure is more tricky. However, I believe it is a little different. I am not that much concerned of slippery surface, but the moving around the boat. When you face inboard on the deck your feet are like in up-hill position and we all know how artificial feet bend. They bend OK for walking on even surface, but walking on an uphill slope is not as convenient. The decks of the boat are uphill - downhill everywhere except the cockpit and the cabin. That is why I thought about the pegleg, it does not require bending; you can also stick it to any narrow places.

My prosthetist made my leg waterproof, so I can also think of being barefooted on the boat, which I actually often do. The foot itself is rubbery enough to give the grip. But the un-evenness of the decks is the real problem.

Thanks very much Karen for your comment. By the way, what do you think of pegleg idea?

Kind regards,

Jukka

Jukka,

Go to this forum and post that question and Joe A will give you advice he is an advid sailor.

http://www.amputee-center.com

Hope you get your answers.

Tried a peg leg on a sailing craft? That be a fine question, Jim me lad, arrr. Ye could say it be OK for many purposes--"C-leg" has an entirely different meanin' on board the Hispaniola, if ye get me drift, Jim boy.

Sorry, could not resist. Arrrr.

Hi Jukka,

the more i think about it, the more practical the pegleg idea aboard a boat becomes..... :)

Maybe sticking some mini suction pads underneath would stop the slipping and sliding about....hmmm!

This definately is a case for Inspector Gadget..... :D

cheers

My dad used to own a 30 ft San Jaun and I crewed it not only racing but going out on pleasure sails in SF bay. I didn't have many problems but I'm BK

Eric

Hi sailors,

My prosthetist took today a cast of my stump for the socket of the sailing peg leg. So I will be able to start testing it say after two weeks. Will provide the results.

It will have the same type of pylon as any other leg and crutsh tip will be used for the bottom end to provide good grip.

Jukka

Jukka:

The pegleg sounds intriguing. What you use for a tip will be critical, as you know. Will be following your sail;ing adventures with interest.

I am a DBKA in my 60's. Before I lost my sea-legs (literally) 3 years ago, I sailed small boats - under 20 feet - since I was a kid. (Snipe, Lightning, Herreschoff, Harpoon, etc.). I gotta get a lot more steady on my feet before sailing those little guys again. But looking forward to a sail on my brother-in-law's 30-footer out of Salem Harbor, MA.

Hi partner,

I think you would be better of with normal legs on a boat. But I think nothing stops you from sailing again. I consider myself very lucky being only single side BKA, it does not hinder anything really, almost like two-legged. That pegleg idea is because of practicality for my case. I can test it in very near future. The leg maybe ready by next weekend, the rest depends if I can get someone to go and sail with. Hopefully soon.

Kind regards,

Jukka

But I think nothing stops you from sailing again

Apart from no wind ;)

Sorry couldn't resist that. Good luck in your quest for a sailing partner.