Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jberna

I walked a MILE!

I know it wont sound like much compared to brendas marathons...but I *accidentally* walked over a mile on saturday. I was in the prosthetists office on friday for adjustments and my new renegade foot happened to come in the mail while I was there....so they put it on. I really love it. I also just had a new, more snug socket that I got last week, so the combo was great.

My husband had signed himself and our four kids up for the Koman Breast Cancer walk on saturday. I had planned to go and take pictures this year, then walk or run it next year.

I easily walked from the parking garage to the starting area...was busy taking pictures....then the race started, I sent my two boys off to run it (ages 7 and 11)...then realized I had sent them off on the THREE mile race, NOT the one mile race as planned....I knew my older son woud be okay, but my seven year old had never run that far before, so my husband ended up running to catch up with them and ran the three miles with them....so that left ME to walk the one mile walk with my 12 year old daughter and 3 year old son....the crowd started moving forward so I thought I would give it a try!

I do the bike at the gym, ride my bike at home on the street with my kids, but I still dont have a fluid gait and have not ever walked a long distance yet. I took it slow and found that I was EXHAUSTED at the end, but had NO pain.....my body was tired, those muscles not used to being worked so hard, but my stump/leg still felt great!

Afterward we walked around the finish line area, trying to locate my husband/boys....so I probably reallly walked two miles that day....I just couldnt believe it!

On the way home we came across a pretty intense bike race, so stopped and watched them....very inspiring!

Came home and laid on my bed, watched a fun movie with my husband, then got up and had an active afternoon on that leg...can honestly say I had NO pain all day, even when I was the most tired.

To clarify...I dont walk well still...have a bad limp, esp when I am tired or not paying attention. But I know that will come with time, and with a lot more work at the gym. It was just exciting to be out there, getting a small taste of this new life. I have big plans to either walk the 3 mile next year, or run it....dont know who much I will like running....waiting to see this fall.....

(it was also really refreshing to be there surrounded by walkers/runners who had badges on, naming their loved one who was fighing breast cancer, or had died from it. We walked for my husbands aunt and a friend at church. But to realize that I had my life, just missing one limb, but I get to live a healthy life every day, with no chemo and no hair loss....puts my amputation in perspective. )

Baby steps...right, brenda?

Judy

Utah

LBK

Judy,

WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I'm so proud of you and what you accomplished.. You're getting there and those BABY STEPS are paying off for you..

((((((((((((((((((((Big Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))) to you

Hey Judy, you are certainly getting the out and about stuff happening! Get you, walking miles! Excellent that your new setup didn't aggravate anything and you were able to enjoy it all. Good stuff :)

Hey Judy,

Well done you! B) Must be feeling ecstatic. I'm really happy for you. It's onwards and upwards from here-on in! :D

That's 'Great' Judy and for such a good cause as well. You've really done remarkable in such a short time. :rolleyes: With that determination and possitive attitude, it won't matter rather you walk, run, or ride a bike, you're all ready a winner!!! ;)

Sheila LBK

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Judy,

Congrats! That is simply wonderful and gives me hope!

Way to go girl!

Judy,

VERY well done! That is so exciting. I'm not trying to belittle what you did, simly tell you what's possible. I know I can do a 20 mile hike in the moutains over hills and on uneven ground so I can tell you there is no limit to what you can eventually do. Just keep in mind I have about 30 years more experence at being an amputee than you do.

I once read that an SBK amputee uses 4 times the energy to walk that a person with two legs uses to walk.

All I can say is

FANTASTIC

:D

Brilliant Judy, that is really good progress and a great achievement for you. I bet your family are really proud of you. :)

It is my turn next, i haven`t had chance to get out for anything that could be called a distance as yet. I have taken short walks to the shop etc. My husband has this weekend off so i hope to get out and see what i can do.

Way to go Judy! That's brilliant news!

Its great you've found a good prosthetic fit that doesn't give you any pain. You feel like there are no limits when that happens.

Keep on keeping on.

Mandy

Thanks for the kudos, guys! Eric, you dont discourage me, you motivate me. I struggled to get thru that one mile, of flat road. But not because my leg hurt, because my body has to get strong again, work up to this...I keep telling myself I am just three months out on my new leg, so to *only* walk a slow mile is pretty good. THIS TIME NEXT YEAR I will be able to HIKE a mile, or more....and definately walk that three mile course, if not run it.

I keep plugging away at the gym....which is actually fun now that I can DO things and make progress. I realized a few days ago that I used to hate the gym/working out before because it really got me nowhere. I could lose weight, but my overall mobility didnt change because of hard work at the gym. I could stretch out/work out that old tired deformed foot all I wanted and it would never get better...NOW I do weights, ride the stationary bike and FEEL progress...only up from here! It is much more motivating and exciting.

Which, in turn, helps me to make better food choices...such a cycle. I know if I put better food in my body, it will only help me to reach these mobility goals...and in the long run I will probably get back to my ideal weight....just from being active, eating right, and caring about my health again.

Keep the stories of adventures coming....it really inspires me, reminds me of what I am reaching for!

judy

lbk

utah (americas outdoor playground!)

Judy,

You're a true winner in my book which makes me really glad that I sent you that medal you deserve it so much. Keep up the good work but remember those BABY STEPS for a little longer anyway. Before you know it you'll be doing more then you could ever dream.

Judy and Eric thanks for the inspirations!! Right now it is hard to believe that I can be walking on uneven surfaces and distances as if I had two good legs. I cannot wait!! I am close to relinquishing my cane but not quite. I'm afraid I've become too dependent on it. At home I almost never use it, but once I go outside it comes with me. I'm going to try to journey down the hall at school this week on my own. I know being on my own will make a world of difference. Thanks guys!!

Caroln

Caroln,

The next time you're at the grocery store push a cart even if you are only getting a few items this can really help you to rid the cane. I had gotten dependant on the crutches and cane after my revision and this was suggested to me and it really helped. Not to long after that and with some more therapy my gait was perfect and if I'm wearing jeans you can't even tell unless I'm really tired.

Caroln,

I am in the same situation as you are at the moment, round the house i am fine but as soon as i get outside and onto uneven ground i seem to tense up so i tend to use my stick or if i am going a distance i take my elbow crutches. This really knocked my confidence when i went out a couple of weeks ago so i thought i would take a few steps back, so to speak, and i now in this position. I thought it would all come with time.

Brenda, what you say about the shopping trolley is a good idea i am going to try that next time. Thanks. :)

The cane is gone!!! All of a sudden today I felt comfortable enough to be without the cane. I couldn't believe it! I walked all over school and even went out to eat and to my daughters softball game. It is fantastic!!! It's amazing how it just seemed to happen all of a sudden!! Thanks for all the encouragement Brenda. I feel like a new person!!

I wish I had jeans like yours Brenda. Mine do not fit quite so well, but I'm now looking forward to that day too!

Caroln