Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
grainger

Charity uk to help fund new limbs

Hiya im chris and i'm 20 i live in stoke-on-trent. i have a NHS artificial left leg, and it causes me realy bad back pain, and i was wondering if anyone knows of a charity in UK or midlands area that would help me with buying a new leg that is more suitable for me and doesnt cause me so much pain and discomort :o .

thanks alot.

chris B)

The NHS should help you. You really won't get anything more from a charity (if one exists). You have to make a nuisence of yourself, but you really should be sorted out by them. If you centre is nop good, ask for a transfer to another.

Hi,

I live in Cardiff and have 3 NHS legs - well 1 is sill being made!!

All are great and comfortable as well. One good one, 1 spare and 1 water activity leg.

Ask your prosthetist to have a look at it and make it comfortable and if you don't get anywhere - get a new team. If you don't ask - you don't get.

The limb should never be uncomfortable to wear and shouldn't be causing aches and pains.

Good Luck,

Sue - Cardiff - UK

Hi Chris and welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately you do have to make yourself heard at some NHS limb fitting centers. If the limb hurts you then the fit is not right and you need to keep on at them to get it right. The process of getting a limb to fit can take a while and you may go through a lot of trial and error.

If you find you get no joy from your limb center then you could try for a transfer. A useful organisation to belong to is the Limbless Association. They have a helpline and will be able to advise you how to get better service from your limb center.

Best of luck

Mandy

Chris,

Welcome to our forum family. You could be experiencing the back pain because your limb is either to long or to short. I would go back to the limb center and have them check on that. Also the squeaky wheel gets the grease so keep squeaking....

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

Have you spoke to your prosthetist about going private for a new limb. I am pretty sure that the NHS do provide some help towards the cost of private limbs, i`m not sure how much they would provide but it may be worth enquiring.

Keep on at your prosthetist about the problems you are having, they can and should be willing to keep trying until you get a good fitting. Sometimes you do feel as if you have moaned enough but the point is it is you that has to wear the limb and only you can say when it is feeling good. If your prosthetist is not listening to you and you are not happy then ask to see a different one. Lets face it this is what we pay contributons for, asking to be comfortable is not like asking for the world.

Don`t give up until you are happy. :)

Good luck

PS, My husband, son and i often get to Stoke to watch the speedway racing, we used to have a track at Ellesmere Port near Chester where i live but it closed down years ago.