Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jdd

Sorry I haven't been posting lately

Well it's been 11 days since the amputation, and frankly, things are setting in.

I am exhausted after doing even simple things so I have been taking it pretty easy.

Phantom Pains have been daily, and pretty wicked too, but seem to be slowing down from a few times a day to just at night now.

My calf has felt like it has a perpetual "Charlie Horse" going, and 2 days ago my stump was pretty bruised looking.

I had my first fall 5 days after surgery (No fun there, really felt quite helpless as I was outdoors) but didn't pull any stitches, now I have 2 rather stubborn little areas that are bleeding just ever so slightly, just enough to require a bandage change daily.

I've been trying to rub my scar area gently, to help desensatize it.

I was not given any excersies to preform at home, so I have just been doing gentle stretches, and bending of my knee.

Still very swollen, but I expected that would be for some time. I make sure to ice and elevate my stump thru out the day. I'm only taking meds for pain as needed, maybe 2 times a day, usually when I wake up and right before going to bed.

This whole experience is just so physically, and mentally draining....does it sound like I am right on track here?

I don't mean to vent, I'm just a little depressed about my lack of mobility and how difficult I have found it to do certain things (like watching my Grandson, he's only 5 months old!)

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks Gang! :wub:

Janet

Hi Janet,

I taking you at your word about "any feedback" being welcome :)

I hope you are feeling better soon. Are the things you need close at hand so you don't have to be trying to get stuff all the time? Just temporarily till your body adjusts and you get your energy back :) Are you pampering yourself? Painting your fingernails? Indulging in some lovely smelling lotions? Any body there willing to give your shoulders a nice massage? All of you needs attention in order to get better mentally as well as physically.

peg-feel-better.gif

rehabilitation and healing

Hi Janet

good to hear from you.

Well I'm an ak, but I think you're right on track. It will take time for the stump to settle. Also for you to build your stamina up and then you will find doing everyday 'stuff' easier. At this 'stage' you are going through a transititional period, learning how to do things you use to do with two legs, now finding ways to do the same thing with one leg. Finding the 'normal' in your new life will take time. But be patient, I'm the worst at being patient and being a patient :D

Please take care, one fall can put you back for months. You will go through these stages quite quickly, focus on the future. And don't forget rest, you've earnt it. However, when you get your new leg you will be busy with physio etc :D

best regards

Steve

Hi Jdd,

keep up the good work, you really are doing fine and are right on track.Keep taking things easy, you will feel tired for a while as it takes a long time for the anaesthetic to leave your system, so tiredness is to be expected. ( zzzzz)

Sorry to hear about the fall, my surgeon told me that 90% of amps have a fall within a few days of surgery so you aren`t the first and you won`t be the last. I have been pretty lucky in that i haven`t had a fall as yet but i think that is because i am just out to be the one that goes against the rule, although my son did accidently tip me from my wheelchair :o . I will not forget that one, busy main road, queue of traffic watching, pound of sausages on my knee went rolling down the road :wub: , i was in fits of giggles :lol: and my poor son was absolutly horrified :o at first but i managed to get him to see the funny side. I always say " if you don`t laugh then be prepared to cry ", doing both is a great medicine.

Don`t apologise for venting either, get it out of you system if you ned to, it is part of the process and its why we are here, to listen to both good and bad stuff, if it helps then go for it.

Here in the UK, the nurses that come out to check the wound don`t believe in keeping it dressed, they say to let the air in to help it heal quickly, i massage my scar with a non scented moisturiser that has vitamin e, this helps the scar to heal and really helps to fade the scar as well.

Keep smiling :) & -_- -_- ( resting)

Hi Janet,

Ok, you say it's been 11 days!!!!! Slow down. I admire your strength of both body & mind. My father & I are alot like you. I guess we like to keep busy. Afraid that if we sit still things won't get done. He's 80 & sometimes I think he's afraid if he sits too long he won't get up. ;) I know your gut reaction is to not let this change you, but really...take it easy. You do have to give your body a chance to heal. I'm not saying you should lay in bed all day, but a little pampering never hurts. :D

Congratulations on your grandson. I'm sure you can't get enough of him, but it is totally understandable if you feel a bit overwhelmed in being able to care for him right now. Remember you have to learn to walk before you can run. Like Brenda always says......baby steps. :)

All my best,

Linda

Janet,

You're on track with the healing process be patient and things will fall into place for you. Take care and be careful as falling can lead to set backs longer then what you would want to happen so be careful. BABY STEPS..

Check out pilates those are stretches you can do without your prosthesis on and it will strengthen your muscles in your leg. You might also want to get some 3 lb weights and so some upper body exercises as it will help when you are using your crutches, walker and wheelchair.

Keep us posted and if you want to vent come and vent we are here to listen to you.

Hi Janet! You're so right it is both phycially and emotionally drainging - that's why you need things to go easy for awhile. I agree with Lark's ideas - except any pampering you can get - it will make you feel so much better. Please vent any time - you know when others read your story they understand that what you feel as a new amputee is normal - I wish I had found this site when I had lost my leg - God I had no idea if all I was going through was normal or if I was the only one that felt this way.

My Aunt lost her leg a couple of months ago(she's 82) and I asked her if she could still move her toes. She whispered yes so nobody (medical staff) would hear her - she thought they would think she was crazy and put her in a home. I cried for her because there was so much she didn't know and she was so grateful to have someone to talk to. So moral of the story, this is a great place to vent - lot's of wonderful people here :) . Hope all is well today! Wendy

Hi Janet, good to hear from you and as everyone has said, you are right on track, but PLEASE take it easy. If you try to hurry and do to much you'll only find yourself getting more frustrated and overwhelmed with the situation. Your body and mind have been through a lot right now and needs plenty of rest, to help it adjust to this new way of life. It takes a great deal of patience, but it'll all fall into place in time, you'll see. ;) Yes, it is very physically and mentally draining, which I think is to be expected, after what you're body has been through, but once you start gaining some strength back you won't feel quite so tired all the time. Also, PLEASE don't feel like you have to apologize for venting, that is a HUGH part of the healing process, so let it out when you feel the need. We've all been there done that and we're all here for you as well. :D

I'm sorry to hear you took a fall, OUCH :o but certainly glad to hear you're all right and that not much damage was done to the residual. I also took a fall, the very first night I came home, did just what they told me not to do, (of course :P ) and grabbed my walker the wrong way and down I went. Then into the hospital to have a couple butterfly stitches, drove a couple staples up inside, but they got them all out when time came, so everything was fine and I learned one big lesson from it all.... don't grab onto anything that isn't bolted down!!! :lol:

Your doing just fine, keep up the good works and PLEASE keep us posted on how things are going. ;)

Sheila LBK

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Hi All!

Doing okay, still so danged tired all the time!

The bruising has started to settled down, so that's a good thing!

I have my post op appt. with the surgeon today in about 45 minutes, so I will write with an update either tonight, or tomorrow.

Tahnks again for everyone's continued suport and caring!

Love you guys! :blink:

Janet

Janet, Janet, Janet....I have to be your mom here...remind you that we told you before surgery that it would take TIME afterward, to heal, and get adjusted. I worry that you are trying to grab life back too quickly. I was lucky, had a mother in law who came to help for awhile, then my dad. I literally sat in bed for almost five WEEKS...and you are wanting to be up taking care of a small baby at 11 days! It was hard to stay put....but I knew if I wanted my leg 'on time' and to get back to walking on time I had to let that leg heal WELL. (brenda drilled that into my head!)

I took her advice and only got up to go eat meals in the kitchen and go to the bathroom. My prosthetist had told me that if there were any small hole/opening in your incision the suction from the new leg would open it up and suck it out when you took steps...so I wanted that area to heal WELL before I got my leg.

I KNOW it is hard...trust me...I coud have never dreamed that in april/may I would be living a very normal life again. I was walking in a public garden (big) just a few weeks ago, walked in a one mile walk for breast cancer last week...but that all didnt happen days after surgery...it took months. But if you take it slow you can be active in just a few months and have no set backs.

And as the others have said...do vent here. We all have been there. Even when you go thru the first leg, adjustments, it is fine at the office then hurts when you get home...we all have been there. Brenda kept telling me that some day soon I would go days/weeks with a comfortable leg, and I am finally there....be patient, something none of us are good at...but remember, "this time next year"...

Keep posting, my friend, for yourself, and for other newbies out there!

judy

utah

lbk

Hi Everyone!

Things are going quite well of late.

My appt went well...in fact the surgeon said well looking at you, been 4 weeks right? I said no...14 days! He said I looked great and the stitches were removed, steri strips put in place. He called my leg guy and told me to go see him and get casted to start shrinking/shaping my stump. I see him next in 4 weeks.

Finally met my leg guy, and he is wonderful, as is the entire staff!

Frank (my leg guy) set me up in a plaster cast, with a hole at the knee. The cast has a belt with it an clips to a "D" ring set into the cast.

He called me the next day to see how things were. I told him the cast fell off! He said come in and we'll get you in a new one. Well new cast fell off the next night! LOL So I guess I'm shrinking well! :D The man even gave me his cell number so I could reach him on weekends if I needed to! Like I said, he's a great guy!

I go back again tomorrow, and we'll see what's next.

He said by what he has seen that he thinks I'll be getting my first leg in as soon as 3 more weeks, and wants to set me up with a bi-axial ankle vs. a Sachs foot. He wants to get me walking ASAP. He said he could tell by the way I moved and trasnsfered myself that I am strong (been doing the wheelchair thing for 2 years...so I'm pretty strong in the upper body), and this should go smoothly.

That really gives me something to keep in mind!

Well, getting late, but wanted to update my progress!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! ;)

After a report like that off the Dr`s all i can say is keep up the good work.

Don`t over do things tho, you don`t want any set backs.

It was really nice of you "leg guy" to give you his number like that, there`s not a lot of men would, ( is he good looking ), if so let me have his number, he can check my leg anytime. :lol: , sorry only joking lol!!

Its great to here you are doing so well, keep it up.

Lots of love xxx

Hey Janet, you will be walking before the summer! So nice that your professionals are giving you such good service and that everything is clicking along so fast. Must be a bit of a pain if your cast keeps coming off... a good sign for your future mobility though, which is why this whole process was started. Excellent to hear you are doing so well :)

Janet--sounds like things are going great!! The cast falling off happened with me too. It gets to be kind of a pain, but it's a good thing! Your leg guy sounds like a fantastic guy. You are very fortunate.

Good luck with everything but remember Brenda's baby steps!!!

Oh, by the way, my falling happened when I grabbed the shower curtain, mistaking it for a solid surface. Imagine my surprise when all of a sudden I was in the tub!! I do believe we all have been there at least once.

Take care and have fun with leg guy!!

Caroln

Janet! I am SO excited for you! You are on the way! I agree, that you need an active foot...I had a flex foot the first three months, then got this great renegade foot. It is much more responsive. I think you are going to love getting up and around again....it is SO nice to be back in real life, after just a few months. Take it slow, and more importantly CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

judy

lbk

utah

Hey Janet! Glad things are going so well for you! Glad to hear you have a good and caring prosthetist. keep smiling :D Wendy

Hi Janet, so glad to hear your appt went well. Also that you got to meet your prothestist and that you like him a lot. That means a great deal, when you can feel comfortable with them, makes it much easier for you two, to work together as a team. You're doing just great girl, B) only don't push to much on yourself at first, ok? We have to listen to our bodies and when you hear it telling you, "enough today", then take a break and look forward to tomorrow, so you don't set yourself back any, wouldn't want to see that happen. :(

SHEILA LBK

MAINE USA

KEEP SMILING :)

Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies :unsure:

I had to go back to the leg guy agin, 3rd cast fell off after about 5 hours!

I told him he just does too good of a job! :lol: He seemed to act like he couldn't believe it fell off again, so he measured me and sure enough, smaller by another inch!

That means I have shrunk approx. 3" in a week! Talk about progress!

He called my Orthopedic Surgeon (who was very adament that I be in a hard cast for 3 weeks) and told him of 3 casts in a week, and how well I was shaping/shrinking, so now I am wearing a stump shrinker...he ordered 3 in various sizes for me.

It is nice since it is so light weight and it breathes. Also it's nice to be able to take it off a couple of times a day to massage my incision site and put some lotion on my dry skin.

The incision is healing very nicely according to my Doctors, and my leg guy is talking about getting me set up with a temp socket next week to wear with a belt, so it would seem that things are moving along well.

My balance is much better and I have noticed that wearing the compression sock has also helped with some of my Phantom Limb Pain as well.

My GP who also manages my Pain Management is encouraged by my progress as well,(he asked to see my incision site, and remarked at how good it looked too :D ) and my pain meds are being reduced, and he said he can't wait to see me WALK into his office. :D

You see he's only seen/known my since my accident so I have always been in a wheelchair. I will go back to see him next month. He said after next month I will just be on a only if I NEED to see him basis.

My attitude has also improved, as well as my fatigue issues, and my days of having the "Blues" are also seeming to be further apart as well.

Well that's my latest "Status" report! :lol: Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Janet B)

Hey Janet! Sounds like things are going really well for you :D - keep up the good spirits. Keep smiling Wendy

WOW Janet, I guess your body is really ready to make this happen! Fabulous that you are clicking along so well and that all signs are encouraging :) Happy days!

Hi Janet

WELL DONE TO YOU!!

Sounds as though your making fab progress - keep it up.

My limb came down in size really fast too - one minute I was just in my first leg and then 2 weeks later I was being re-cast!! Its all good though. :D

Take care, and I bet we've all fallen at some point - I've fallen off the sofa (overstretching and went to put my foot down to balance!!) and I've fallen over a rug too. :unsure:

Keep us posted on your progress.

Sue - Cardiff - UK

Congratulations Janet! I am so glad you are seeing the good side now. It is so exciting to be up and around. Soon you will be surprising yourself on a regular basis, like I do now....when you try new things and can finally DO it! I am rooting for you, my friend!

Judy

Utah

LBK

Janet,

That's so great that you're shrinking so fast now before you get your temp socket. You'll be a little more stable in size once you get the temp socket and hopefully this will keep you from having several temp sockets made. Keep us posted on your progress and remember BABY STEPS!