Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jenio1012

help....new leg

I am new to this site, and want to say how nice it is to read and understand feelings of members. I have been an amputee for over 20 years and have never meet any other amputees. And let me say how hard daily living is among those who frankly don't understand the trials we go through. My situation is hard to explain, but I need a new prosthesis, am BK right amp., and have no insurance! The one I have now has cut my leg and stump very bad, to the point where I wear bandages daily and can not paly with my 6 year old son. I was once very active and now feel helpless, if anyone has any ideas or could offer advice it would be great. Also would love to chat with anyone.

Thank You

Jenni

Hi Jenni

Welcome to the forum.

I live in the UK and get my limbs from the NHS free of charge , i am afraid i cannot help you with any advice on your insurance situation, i am sure someone will be along very soon with lots of advice. It will probably help if you tell where you live.

You do seem to be having major limb fitting problems at the moment. It is not very nice when it hurts so much and not being able to play with your son must hurt you emotionally as well, one is as bad as the other. :(

I am usually around on the site most days, feel free to pm me or email me anytime you fancy a chat :) and of course use the forum to vent and chat to others as well, this is a wonderful place for help, support and advice, everyone is really kind.

Once again welcome to the forum

Hi Jenni and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear of your predicament...I know how frustrating it can be when you have a prosthesis that hinders instead of helps you. I assume you are from the US as you mention not having insurance. If you were in the UK you could use the NHS services.

In most countries there are organisations which can help. I'd imagine the Amputee Coalition of America would be able to help you if you are from the US. I don't know their contact details but others might.

I hope you get the help you need soon.

Edit: Found a link for you http://www.amputee-coalition.org/

Best Wishes

Mandy

Jenni,

Welcome to the forum. We are glad that you found us. You don't have to be the only amputee that you know any longer. You have started your journey of self empowerment by meeting and networking with others who are much like yourself, having to deal with limb loss.

Do contact the ACA (Amputee Coalition of America). That is a great organization and resource to help you find answers.

The rest depends on you and your desire and DETERMINATION to make a difference in your life. Than you will be able to help others that find themself in your situation. You will need to keep us posted in order for that to happen, and we want to be here for you, and hear back from you. Let us know if there is anything else that you need.

Wishing you all the best. :)