Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Afet

ANY STARS OUT THERE?

Hi everybody,

Ok, the title of this subject is a bit bizarre, I know, but I thought I'd try and lift the mood a bit. :blink:

The other week, I was in the gym of my Limb Fitting Centre having physio, and this guy was there, an AK amp, being fitted with what looked like a C-Leg, and was walking up and down the gym. We looked at each and smiled, but I felt as if I knew him already. He looked really familiar, but I just couldn't place him. :huh: Anyway, I carried on having physio, then went into the ladies limb fitting room for my fitting. As I was sitting, waiting for my prosthetist, I looked around the room, as you do, and saw a poster for the Limbless Association. It had a man on it, an AK amp wearing his prosthesis, standing on a giant hand and the caption was, "There's nothing artificial about our support." I looked closely, then I realised that I knew that man! It was the same guy that I just smiled at in the gym!! B)

I was at my Limb Centre again today, and paid more attention to the posters around the rooms.

I was bored OK??!! :blink::huh:

I saw another poster with an amputee running with a New York backdrop behind him. I thought it may have been Johnny, but when I looked closer, it wasn't! So, that brings me round to my question, at last! :P

Have you ever appeared on one of those kind of posters or commercials/adverts (you know, Prosthetic companies, Associations)? If so, which one are you on?

Or would you rather not say?! :ph34r:

Let us know so we can look out for you!

I was on some posters for the March of Dimes. But I dought you'd recognise me. That was 31 years ago and I used to be really cute.

Eric

Hi Afet

can't help here, I've not even been on a 'Wanted' poster :D

As for Eric, who used to be cute; he is and so are we all here :P

Apparently a nurse told my wife that I was a 'nice bit of stuff' the other day :o

Sorry to go off topic.

best as ever

Steve

No fifteen minutes of fame for me yet either.

My son is the one in this family that strives to get the limelight, point a camera anywhere near him and he will pose :blink: , been like this since he was a baby. I don`t know where he gets it from as both his dad and i shy away from being centre of attention.

I've never been on a poster or add for prosthetic company but I've been in the paper many times. Does that count?

Thanks for all your replies! :D

Brenda, I was originally thinking of the posters you might see at your Limb Centre, but the topic title does say, "Any stars out there?" so I guess your newspaper articles do count! I read the one about one of your runs that somebody posted once. Very inspiring.

Trwinship, maybe all the fame went to your ex-legs head and it decided to 'cut off' all the ties from it's past! :lol:

Boom-boom! ;) Sorry! :P

This might sound a bit corny.. :rolleyes: but i think everyone here on this forum is a STAR.

I mean...it ain't easy what most of us have been through, dealing with it and coming out a winner is what i call being a SUPER STAR.... :D

cheers to the human spirit ... !!

oh, and yes, i was in a brochure for a prosthetic company ... but i didn't like the pic. at all... :P

Township. Don't feel bad about your leg not calling or writing. It's really hard to use a pen and impossible to use a phone without an opposible thumb

I hope i am not going to put my " big foot " in :P lol!! but Eric and trwinship you two are going off the subject.

"Toe" begin with this thread was about members whose limbs had been used on posters.

If i was you Afet i would "put my foot down with a firm hand" and insist they keep to the subject, honestly i " wouldn`t stand for it", especially as i am not wearing my limb at the moment. :blink: lol!!

Sorry no Star here either. The closest I ever came was when my Vascular Surgeon asked me if he could call me his "Poster-Child". He thought it was remarkable after going through so much, in such a short time, yet still able to keep a smile on my face. I said to him, well if someone saved your life, wouldn't you smile too. :D

Only, I agree with Kaz, we all are 'Stars' on here. It isn't easy going through what most of us have been through or will be going through and still come out a winner! It takes a lot of willpower to focus on the tomorrows, but we all find a way to do it, and will continue on, for as long as we are here, b/c we are survivors!!

So "CHEERS" to you Kaz and to the human spirit!!

Sheila LBK

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

I completely agree about us all being stars. I personally believe that all amputees are SURVIVORS. We have each lived through, in our own various ways, something that people can't imagine, and if they do, then it would be their worst nightmare.

I was just curious if any of us have appeared on posters so I could look out for them and put a face to a name, that's all! :D

And, I can hardly have a go at trwinship as I attributed to him going off topic too. I'm always putting my foot in it!! :lol: