Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jberna

How to talk to kids

I have noticed that since it is finally getting warmer in Utah, and I am wearing shorts in public more, I have had lots of kids notice my leg. About two weeks ago I had one little guy, under six, questioning me about it....I just couldnt find the words to describe it to him. I try not to ever say, "they cut off my leg"...too scary for little people!

Then suddenly HE said to me, "so is it like a robot leg?"....I said, "YES!" He totally *got* that, was great with it and ran off to play.

Since then, when I have kids ask, I use that term and they all seem to understand that. The words "artificial" and "prosthetic" just dont mean anything to them.

Then yesterday I was in a store, in the return line, and a little girl was staring at my leg, then whispered something to her mom. I addressed the little girl and said, "do you like my leg?"....."it is like a robot leg"....

Her moms eyes got wide and she said, "that is what she just whispered to me...asked me if you had a robot leg!"

I know brenda uses another term, cant remember what it is....but "robot leg" seems to work well for me, when talking with kids.

judy

utah

lbk

Hi Judy

a family friend has two young children, when they saw my leg they were open mouthed, eyes popping out of their little heads. They thought I was the 'Terminator' :D

(I told them it was just a 'bit' part :D :D )

Since then I've started to notice other youngsters looking in fascination at my 'leg',

then looking at me.

Eat yer heart out Arnie :P

best as ever

Steve

My leg is " my bionic leg " just like Lyndsay Wagner had, trouble is i cannot run as fast, i don`t have her strength and what i wouldn`t give for her bionic man. :)

We know Johnny is old now. He used the word "dig".

One thing to rember: KIds are NOT stupid, simply inexperenced. I tell kids that my leg got sick and the Dr's had to cut my leg off. I don't think it's scarry for them. Most kids I've met are simply curriouse.

My room mate's 4-year-old came to visit and thaught it was the coolest thing in the world. He went home and told his mom ALL about it.

What I really dig is the fact that I'm hopping that you will live to be there some day too Eric, so respect your elders. You can learn a lot from them. LOL :lol:

Too funny. I feel like I'm getting old. People that were born the year I was a freshman in HS are now almost old enugh to drink leagaly...

Excuse me for butting in Judy, going off topic for a moment.

Thought I'd reply to the 'old boys' :P

Hi Johnny and Eric, it's good to remember that youth and skill will always be overcome by old age and skullduggery :D

Now being an 'old boy' myself I have found that out many times to be true :D

Best as ever

Steve

Its lesley

and I just wanted to reply to this one

even I know its late

but Im 17 and people in my math class

think its really cool, but Its crazy that when we talk about it

there like "ewwwww I want to see!"

Lesley

I let my son invite a few of his friends round to have a bbq and watch the football last night and not one of them commented or asked about my leg. Of course they do know about it but obviously as long as the food kept being handed out they were happy enough.

That is until France scored a goal, they were most upset then.

They were very good kids though, they left our garden ( if i can describe it as such, more like an overgrown patch of grass, and my husband a greenkeeper, ha lol!!) just as tidy as they found it and did all the clearing up before going home.

Can I borrow those kids...... LOL I have to ask mine upteen million times to do their chores... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Brenda:

As the mother of a couple of teen girls, you know the drill. It's the visiting kids who will clean up. You'd be surprised how well your girls act when "out in public".

How are your daughters' rooms? When mine was a teenager, she had the messiest room on the planet! I used to tell her if someone came in a vandalized it, it would be an improvement! Now that she's agrown up mommy, she's one of the neatest folks around.

All in all, I hope you're enjoying your kids as they grow up as much we've enjoyed ours. As I recall, one of yours is a fullfledged teen and the other is quickly on the way, right. Enjoy!