Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Kaz

To be or not to be covered....

Looks like I'm in the minority among the guys. I am a DBKA, and do have the legs covered. As a pastor, when standing in front of the congregation, I don't want their attention riveted on my legs. Oh, I'm sure the kids would be fascinated.

As it is, I need to walk with fore-arm crutches, although many people don't realize I'm an amputee, at first glance. I just think that having two uncovered prostheses might be overly distracting.

However, in the period after each amputation before I got my prosthesis, I was leading worship in my wheelchair, minus the limb. And that was accepted well.

Hi Sue,

thanks for your tips! I just checked the ossur website, but I didn't find the cover for the elation foot - which I'm very interested in as I use an elation - can you tell me what it is called exactly or send me a link please?

Afet,

Thank you, too. I thought the Dorset cosmesis are torn over the prothesis like a glove - am I wrong, and can you explain me how they construct their feet, please? I didn't find anything about this on their homepage.

Greetings, Daniela

Daniela,

I would assume that the Dorset legs ARE fitted over the socket like a glove too, however I am not sure, as I do not have legs from them yet. I also don't know how the heck they manage to make the feet! :D I only know that they are hand finished to make them look very realistic.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to write an email to the people at Dorset Orthopaedics asking them these questions. I recently had a question regarding referral from the NHS, and I got a helpful reply within 2 days. It's worth a try!

Sorry I couldn't be more help. :unsure:

If you want the truth I had never even considered 'uncovered' as an option, purely because it was never ever suggested or discussed at any stage by a prosthetist. In fact, I cant think of any male amps off the top of my head either who don't just automatically get their limbs covered where I go either. I feel kind of cheated now :( ESPECIALLY 'cos I love tattoos and would LERV a laminated picture thingy-am so jealous now <_<

The weather has been a bit up and down here just lately (typical English weather) but there has been a couple of times just lately when it has just been to hot to wear jeans so i have been wearing cut offs and shorts. I didn't feel awkward with showing my limb even though it is not yet covered. I think to begin with i was looking for people who would stare but i got so bored i gave up and didn't take any notice, hence i wasn't bothered in the slightest about not having a cover yet.

I am embarrassed to admit that I had not clicked on this thread in the past because I thought the title referred to whether NHS "covered or not covered" the cost of something...teach me to be so narrow thinking! I clicked on today, to see what the discussion was about and was surprised to see something I could relate to!

I knew I would not *hate* my bionic leg, but also knew I would look forward to a skin covered one ASAP....mainly because I have felt *different* my whole life and wanted just ONCE to walk down the mall, in shorts and have no one look twice...and I figured that would come with my skin leg. BUT now that I have had my bionic for a good four months, and am learning to walk better on it every day, I have grown attatched to it. I love that I dont have to baby it, can clunk it around, do gardening, ride bikes with my kids, dont worry about scratching it. Even went white water rafting in it a few weekends ago and only had to rinse it out afterwards....

So I know I will get a pretty leg some day in the fall, but am in no rush right now. I know people look/stare more now but I kind of like it...since I am just a regular mom in walmart like the rest of them, not letting this slow me down.

Eric, I love the comment about the knee *brace*...when I was doing my research for my surgery I met an amputee woman, my age, who had similar problems..everyone would approach her wanting to share "knee surgery" stories, assuming she had a knee brace too! She would politely tell them her KNEE was fine, it was the rest of the leg below it that had some issues!

Good thread...helpful stuff to read thru as we all decide what is best for us.

judy

utah

lbk

Hi all,

I have 2 legs, one with a cosmetic cover and one without. I find that I wear my "uncovered" leg more often than the one with the cosmetic cover. I agree with Judy, you don't have to worry about messing it up. I recently had my permanent leg made and had the Skinergy cover/cosmesis put on it. It looks great, even has toenails I can paint. I have an adjustable foot so I can wear different heel heights. The cover will wrinkle around the ankle when adjusted for different shoes but will easily smooth out. Keep the leg away from your pets. I've already replaced the cover because my cat chewed on it and put tiny little fang holes throughout! My prosthetist laughed when I brought it back in, he said he's had dogs chew legs up but never a cat! (this cat thinks it's a dog, he even walks on a leash).

Marsha

Iv'e never had a leg covered and until a couple of weeks ago didn't even know they existed. It's onlt taken me 36 years to find them. Ok I'm a bit slow. Or is it my prosthetist who is slow?.......hmmmmmm

Now I'm determined to get a cover but can only find ONE place in all of Australia who supplies them. Damn. Sooner or later though I'm going to get a cover and a flexi foot. Where there's a will there's a way.........or a reletive.

Goodness Catherine, 36 years thats a long time. I have been a limb user for about 35 years and have always had "legs that look like legs" except for pylons in the very early days. The legs (in UK anyway) were usually made of metal in the 70's so were shaped like a leg and usually sprayed pink (or whatever).

For me its important that the legs look the shape of legs, have seen a lady with a pair from dorset orthopaedic and really couldn't believe how natural looking they were, apparently they cost £17,000 (bilateral b/k). However, after wearing them this long am happy with the NHS foam look, but really would like it replaced when it goes really thin and no longer resembles a leg shape!

Ann

Hi Anne,

I guess we Aussies are just running behind as usual.

Things need to change I think.

Thanks for the info.

By the way mine IS painted pink but in no way does it resemble a leg at all.

My newest foot doesn't even have toes.

Cat

lol. I thought where I lived was behind the times Catherine. My traditional leg is also painted pink, but is a proper leg shape! Is this a permanent leg? I don't have toes on either of the legs but can live with that. As long as I am mobile that is the main thing.

I am surprised would have expected the Aussies to be ahead of the UK.

Ann

Yep Anne it's my permanent leg, it's actually almost 4 years old and looks rather "used" lol.

Iv'e got a new pne that doesn't fit real well despite having had it adjusted 4 times so far. Have another appointment next week and am determined that this is the last. Scrap heap time I think.

I like the toes to be honest. Seems vain but hey, I'm old enough to be vain ;) .

Having been through all the posts here I think we are wayyyyyyyy behind in leg design. Maybe there's just not enough of us for them to worry too much about us.

Was reading that Aussie amputees make up one qaurter of a percent of the population. Near as I can figure that's about 50,000 of us.

Cat

Hey guys,

I've got my leg covered and it looks really good - most people would never know. Its covered with Skinergy from RSL Steeper in London. My team just ordered the 'skin' and then fitted it over the foot and leg - It feels and looks like real skin (quite creepy really - but FAB!) Similar to the Dorset Orthopedic - but available on NHS.

It has shaped toes and a split toe design for wearing flip flops / sandals etc. and also has toe nails that look real! Also has 'veins' so it looks even more like a real foot. The skin colour is also a pretty good match. Today I have sandals on that have a toe post and toe loop design - but also have a heel strap (Marks and Spencer £12.00 in the sale!).

I do think covering is an individual choice and as long as you are comfortable and confident - then its ok.

Sue - Cardiff - UK

I think I will weigh in on this one. I am a 30 something attractive woman who is a an AKA non user and I wear skirts, shorts and I wne swimming today ina public pool. I am what I am. Yea people stare and kids say things but at least I am out there.

I'm kind o the new kid here but as a non user , I would like to stray the course.

When I first lost my leg in 1982 I was a college student, and my leg was paid for by DVR (o rehab) and the cosmetic cover was squakey not exactly as cosmetic as I was lead to believe and definitely ackward looking and did make noise

I remember the first time I saw myself in the walking mirror and I though it's better than nothing and the govt wasn't going to pay for more. I lived in Albuerque New Mexico(Very HOt) and at first I wore only jeans ,but then I got a rash and my doctor told me that the stump needed air. So then it was on to shorts and ect., Even with my prosthetic on the difference was always noticable. I tried to wear a leg for years after that but I never could stand the pain and I didn't think any cover looked real. When I see an amp wearing shorts (Usually a man ) I think it is so sexy, because that man or woman knows they are attractive they don't need to cover up, their self confidence does it for them.

In the last twenty years i have met amp after amp who will do anything not to leave their house (or car) when the leg (or legs if they could afford it) were out of commision. I evern owrked in an O&P facility and was amazed at several amps who sent thier prosthetics in to be fixed without them in it! How much that life has to offer do those amps miss when they focus on covering up rather that living it to the max.

remember when it comes down to the deed most of us are naked and many other normies have some ugly marks covered up too!Today I wore a skirt out all day and then I went swimming in a park pool. It was a nive day except my neck hurts.

Hope you can realte, I would love to hear from another non user on this one

Unique ;)

Hi Unique,

I agree that it is a confidence in yourself issue - as well as personal preference - I felt confident when I had no cover also - but I am a confident person anyway! I just choose to have my leg covered - but I still wear skirts and shorts whether covered or not.

I take my leg off to swim in the local pool and it doesn't bother me at all - my kids are great with it and I have always taught them to be themselves anyway - even before my accident. They don't give my leg a second thought.

I was at my local airport last night - picking up my dad - and there was an elderly couple in the arrivals bit - I had my flip flops on and at the mo the ridge of the foot can clearly be seen - this lady was constantly staring (so rude!) and whispering to her husband - and I couldn't care less - but my dad came through and whilst trying to get through the crowd - he was watching this lady watching me!! As I welcomed him home he asked me if I had noticed and I replied yes, she's been staring for the last half an hour - it reminded me of the film Pretty Woman - where she's waiting for the lift and the older couple are staring at her and she turns to Richard Gere and says something about her panty hose running - and then says ooops I'm not wearing any - just to see their faces - so funny!! (just my sense of humour and I love that film!) :D

Sorry - I'm waffling on a bit - but I think we should be comfortable with whom we are and what we do, and if you want to be covered do so, and if not so what!

Sue :rolleyes:

Hear Hear Sue, Well said. Best compliment I ever received was from a friend who I was telling about this wonderful forum. She said, " It's funny but I've never thought of you as an amputee. You're just you." I was terribly flattered. We are just normal people. It's lovely when people can look beyond what they see to the person underneath.

Cat

I prefer to be a naked as the day they made me. My shells are crbon fibre grey thread with blue and platinum C-leg units. I am what I am so there's no sense in hidung it for me anyways.

ED

For me having the leg uncovered is very important, it helps the Psychological aspects of amputation. I'm sure it helps against phantom pain & other nerve issues.

I think it also helps how you are treated by colleagues & peer group.

I always relate it to the guy who starts wearing a wig! Everybody know he has lost his hair, he's only falling himself. :o

For you girls it must be more difficult, but I have never judged a book by it's cover and anyway metal has always been a great turn on for me........Bikes, cars,aeroplanes, guitars ( I know there wood/plastic)............even golf clubs!

Keep on rockin' :lol:

Paul

I have 1 leg that is covered that I generally use for going out for dinner ect. Then I have another leg that is not covered that I wear to work, doing yard work or just running around the house. I work in a factory so I find that if I wear the one with the cosmetic cover, it gets dirty to fast....or it will get caught on the line or something and I'll put a hole in it..... so in shorts or in pants.... no cover unless dressing up.

Not really an issue for me.... people are people.. they'll look regardless, I'm not ashamed. I don't expect people with facial deformities to wear a mask... I shouldn't be guilted by peoples stares to cover my leg up.

Like Ampski, I weld, I am a metal artist, and this never entered my mind! If the cover caught a spark that would be scary. Maybe a leather apron will work.

30 years ago a friend (woman) had the soft cover and I chose the hard wooden leg. I walked better, but she looked better. From that point I decided I would rather walk better. I am a very practical person anyway. But things have changed, legs are working better...two worlds are coming together. I have been convinced that it is the way to go. Only I can put it to the test! I am an outdoors girl..ride my mule, fourwheel around the countryside, garden, fish, kayak, and travel..but I like to dress up and look as sexy as I can get away with.

If the cover doesn't keep up with me I will rip the sucker off. Just kidding-probably get replaced 100 times.

Just came back from the ossur site...wowow!

Leave it to a socialized country to make the neatest advancements. I love Iceland!

I am Swedish decent and love the fact that Northern Countries are working for the betterment of mankind. This is money well spent.

If things don't work out...I am heading to Iceland to get my next leg.

Hi All:

The only real experience I have had to date with "coverings" is that attained when I was in rehab.

I am male.

The foam covered legs just looked like old Italian lady legs / BaBa legs / not "man"legs.

Pinko exoskeleton units looked like doll legs to me.

I do not know of any hairy amnly unit coverings and don't think I would be interested in them if there are.

"Naked" I look like "I robot" and I am fine with that.

ED

Ed,

I know you're not interested, but it's my understanding that there is "skin" made with hair for men.

I guess it could be for women too if they so desired.....