Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Kaz

To be or not to be covered....

That's so incredible! I didn't know they could be that realistic. Would I love to have one of those...minus the hair. ;)

Cool pic Afet.....You really are our knowledge collector and I so love what you come up with.

I want one of them hairy legs just so I can shave it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG, that looks so amazing, it's incredible what you find Afet. Now I thought my skinergy looked good its not nothing on that-I want to swap!

ps bet you can paint those toe nails :P

Thank you, thank you! (You've been a wonderful audience!!! :P )

I'm only finding what is already out there, you just need to know where to look. But, I'm flattered, nonetheless. :D :D

I don't know if any of you looked at the Dorset Orthopaedics page that I linked to above, because there were actually a few ladies legs there too. I will attach the pics here too.

They are simply beautiful! I WILL have a pair of these legs myself one day. Do you think that if I say this to myself every day, it might eventually come true?! Mind over matter kind of thing?? :blink:

Who knows, but I'll keep trying anyway!

(picture taken from this page, from Dorset Orthopaedics website)

Oh yeah, forgot to say before, that I think these legs from Dorset have acrylic nails, so not only would they look really natural anyway, but you might also be able to paint them too! B)

Maybe one of our members who have a leg/s from Dorset Orthopaedics might be able to clarify this for us.

Keep saying it. You'll get there. I used to look at their website all the time but I'd never seen that page. Guess I was mostly looking at the HMMC.

I wish all the time that I could go there. At least you're already in England. It would cost me a fortune. Airfare, hotel, etc. in addition to prosthetic costs. For me, it's probably an impossible dream; for you it's not.

Let's keep hoping.

I feel for you Marcia. :(

I've just looked at the Dorset site again, and there are Dorset trained prosthetists available in Australia/New Zealand, as well as Canada too.

I realise that this is no good for you.

But, I think you know already that you can order just the cosmesis on it's own, and your prosthetist can cover your existing leg with it. It's called a Heather Mills McCartney Cosmesis (HMMC), which you've just mentioned above.

They'll never be quite as good - quality wise - as the custom made ones you can get from Dorset Orthopaedics itself, but they do look pretty good and will probably be a lot better than the bog-standard silicone cosmeses available to you now. Obviously, they'll be much cheaper too, than if you went to Dorset yourself.

The link, for those interested, is found here:

http://www.dorset-ortho.com/index.php?page...c7e3b9c3b430a23

I emailed Dorset one time about cost and they quoted me $5500 for cosmesis ONLY! whoooeeee! Plus, somebody posted here once that they only last a year. Too rich for my blood!

We're screwed.

When I went to the website and looked at the legs, I thought oollalla, look at those gams. Then as I read further and got to Marcia's posting, I thought for that kind of money I could get my face lifted and is probably more necessary. I'd love to have legs like those, but is definitely too rich for my pocketbook as is the necessary facelift. As it is, the updating of my prosthesis alone is breaking many a cookie jar.

Carole

Wonder why it's called Dorset Orthopeadics, when it's based in Hampshire?

Also if anyone had any hopes of the NHS producing anything like these covers think again. This is a quote from Dorset's site

"Patent applications have been filed to protect our unique methods, and we have recently been granted two United Kingdom Patents (UK Patent Nos. 2341322 & 2341325) for a method of making artificial limbs and a method of making covers for artificial limbs, respectively"

Granted this is a sensible business move but I reckon it stifles competition and consigns the rest of us to second class treatment. :(

Dermablend does some great products; I use them on my leg scars in the summer. :D

Reminder to self--start chanting evryday "I will have that leg," "I will have that leg". It's worth a shot-they look fantatic Afet-thanks and you're right there is a guy from Dorset in Sydney, my prot told me that a few weeks ago.

We all need a psychic to give us some winning lotto numbers?????

How could dermablend help?

My new prosthesis is almost completed, and it will have a foam cover, rather than "bare". That said, I've spent a lot of time recently without a cover. My sons have learnt the hard way that a "robot" leg is hard and has sharp bits. Don't others have kids who like to wrestle or try to topple you over? My 5 year old thinks it's really funny. He also tries to topple his dad, but G is better at coping - but I think you'd have to be pretty strong to take 22 kg hitting the back of your knee at speed without falling...

I've never had a very cosmetic cover - for years I had exoskeletal (fibreglass). I switched to a foam cover 15 years ago when the foot technology improved to the point that the weight of the pylon was out-weighed by the benefits of an energy-storing foot. With BK, there are always lumpy bits around the knee with socks, etc, so it's pretty obvious if I want to wear a short skirt. I wear longer skirts or jeans, and for business, I wear a suit with pants. It does sometimes catch at the knee, but since I walk with a limp, I can't hide it anyway ;). What I'm looking for is to avoid standing out, not to fool people who look closely, but I guess I've had longer to get used to it than most of you (40+ years).

Dermablend?

Maybe it helps limbs re-grow <_< :blink::rolleyes:

I wish they'd told me before.

Buck naked!

Here is me pretending to tee off at Ernie Els Winery, I am modeling the latest in coil spring technology ha ha :D

Demand the right to be unique!

Hey,

I ended up finding that pic of a man's leg, with all the hair, that I mentioned above. So I thought I better post it!

This picture was first published by Dorset Orthopaedic, and I found it on the Limbless Association website:

(P.S. I know what you're thinking....which one's artificial, right?!)

No way Afet-I can't pick that's too amazing.

I've decided that Dorset should just give us all legs, covers and what ever else we want for free; cause they can. :rolleyes:

Mel

I'd even have a hairy one if it looked like that, :D we could always shave it off :P

I'd even have a hairy one if it looked like that,  we could always shave it off

Snigger :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seeing this post today, for the first time i have not got my legs covered and dont intend on it, im not sure wot the general reaction will be... but hey its worth a go...