Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Wendy

Swimming with no swim leg!

Hi all!

I was just wondering what everyone does when they go swimming with no prosthetic swim leg. Do you cover your stump and if so with what?

I swim all the time but I don't have a swim leg. I just use a sock to cover my leg - I'm really not comfortable with it bare. Any suggestions!

Keep Smiling Wendy

Wendy,

When I was a young girl I used to swim with no leg on at all and never really thought about what other people thought although it was pretty uncomfortable hopping around the pool at times. When I stopped growing as much when I got a new leg I would use the old leg as my swim leg (Better than hopping). Up to my revision surgery I always had a swim leg now I'm back to no leg. I have only been swimming a few times since the revision and it's been at my sister in laws house where I'm pretty comfortable if I don't have a cover on the leg and also at a good friend of mine. Have yet to swim at the beach or a public pool. I guess when I go to TN in Aug I'll have to see how it is to swim at the pool. I probably won't swim but you never know.

Wearing a sock is a good idea since you don't want to get your stump sunburned (been there done that and it's very painful).

Hi Wendy , Great question . I actuallu just recently started to go back to the poll and had a huge mental fight about should i be covered or not . I decided to cover up because i am very self concious about al the scars . I wear one of these super thick support stockings on my leg and even in the summer when i go outside . it is a bit darker than my real leg but looks sort of like tanned . Hmmm , now if there was a support stocking that was like with way cool colors and patterns . MJ would be in heaven .

These days, I go swimming quite a bit and go with my leg bare as I think the fact I have no leg is a shock to some and they're gonna stare whether it's covered or not. My son comes with me and we have this arrangement where he 'parks' my leg so it won't get wet-works for us. I can understand too why some would want to cover up, but have yet to find a sock that would stay put the rate of knots I motor round the pool :rolleyes:

MJ, couldn't you 'tie-die' a support sock thingy? Either that or make a pattern of it and go shopping for funky fabrics ;)

CAZZY , THAT is a great idea . I never thought of that . I did go shopping this past weekend and saw these way cool pair of tights with flames on them ... almost bought them too . Oh well , i never said that i wore clothes like what everyone else would wear . TYE DYE .. that is such a super idea ... i'm going to try it tomorrow .

TYE DYE .. that is such a super idea

^^^^^^see, I do have my uses ;) :lol:

....errrrr, or you could do that 'Batik' thing or whatever the hell you call the thing you do with the melted wax-or what about screen-printing??? Wow, I'm on a roll now :D

Actually CAZZY , one time I thought about getting this totaly crazzy tatoo around my residual leg with .... umm never mind ... tell you off line if you really want to know .

OMG-do tell, do tell, I'm a tattoo fanatic. I used to even LIVE with a tattoo artist and still bare the proof :lol:

CAZZY , just sent you a reply off line ... never did it though ( talking about the tats ) .

Goodo chuck ;) Back on the sock subject, there's the sleeveart site which was mentioned on another thread-maybe just to give you some ideas it's http://www.fredslegs.com

MJ,

I was going to suggest the sleeve art as I have several pair myself. I love them when I wear them. I wear them mostly during the summer months as in the winter they are covered up with my pants. They are lots of fun and I get lots of comments on how neat they are. Brings out the best in me... LOL

I have the fish, dolphins, the purple zebra and a couple of others that are not on the site any longer and ones that I can't remember the names.. HeHe..

OMG..OMG..OMG..OMG... I just came back from that site .....OMG... it's like hair dye for legs ...oMG....OMG....oMG... crazy visions running through my head .... MJ , breath , breath ... deep breaths , deep breaths ...innn, ooout , iiiin , ooout .....

<<<<<<<<<is fanning the MJ. Breathe girly, BREATHE. There see, and now I looked and I got the Batik spelling right too-10/10 to moi :P

I am glad you asked that, because I would love to go swimming and I am glad about all the responses you got. But I have no transportation so I cant go and it makes me so mad.

But I will try ya'lls advice if I ever do go

thanks friends!!!!!!

lesley

With having a boat, that makes things a lot easier for me to go swimming. I just hang on and go off the back ladder, we stay close enough inland so I'm not over my head, that way I feel more secure when I step down off the ladder and can touch ground. I really don't have to wear anything over my residual, not many see me out there, but I prefer to wear one of my older stretch socks, it just feels better to me. I was told, to definitely keep it covered at all times, so not to get a burn, or even a bite from anything out there flying or crawling around. Which sounds pretty creepy, but I suppose it could happen..... yikes bugs, get me outta here, quick!!! :rolleyes: :lol:

Sheila LBK

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Hi All!

Thanks for the responses!

I've only used a regular sock though last year I used a toe sock(the sock that has the individual toes on it), the kids thought it was cool :lol: .

I've had the same problem with the sock coming off while swimming - we all end up diving looking for it B)

I love the ideas and I'll check out that site.

Keep Smiling! Wendy

Hi all,

The first time I ever went into a public pool was on a trip to Florida. I was sitting in the sun by the pool sweating my butt off. There were only a few older people around. I couldn't resist the thought of diving in so I asked my mom to ask the lifeguard if it would be ok to go in with pants on. I have a lot of scaring due to the meningitis & it's embarassing as well as frightening to others. :huh: So the lifeguard says it's fine, but wants me to prove I can swim. :blink: Had to swim the length of the pool, up & back. :angry: Wonder if he makes everyone who swims take the "Endurance" test! <_< I didn't give much thought to him. Besides thinking he was a jerk. A lot of people started coming in & I was refreshed & wanted to get out, but how without the stares? :blink: My mom held a towel around me so I could try to put my "parts" on. People looked without looking, you know. Parents told kids not to. WHY NOT? Geeze, I would have. It must have been quite the show. :P Needless to say, it was the last time I went swimming in public.

I think being bilateral makes it harder to get around without prosthetics. Atleast if you had one leg, you can walk to the pool, sit, pop it off & slide right in. :rolleyes:

Probably never going Public again, but if I had swim legs, I'd consider it, like at the lake. But I think I'd get those tight pants that surfers use to cover up the scars more than the legs themselves.

Linda

Hi Linda

I agree with you, am also bilateral, and find this makes it much more difficult in getting into the pool, in that you attract much more attention. You also have to find somewhere to keep the legs dry. When the children were younger we were able to occassionally hire a small pool, where we couldd swim as a family. Now what we could really do with is our own private pool!

Just a thought, but do any of you have a 'Sports centre for the disabled' in your areas? We have one but I think it's fairly unique, although it is a good opportunity for those with disabilities to do things like swim without being the surrounded by lots of ordinary folks who stare. The one we have has quite good facilities too like hoists and graduated steps into the pool so you can make a more dignified entry/exit.

If there's nothing like this, one 'normal' sports centre nearby has a couple of 'disability swimming sessions', where no-one else uses that bit of the pool and people can go along in the company of others with a variety of disabilities and not feel like they are 'odd man out' type of thing. It only takes a few extra staff and a couple of volunteers a couple of hours a week to provide, so it may be worth enquiring to see if they would consider doing something like this?

Hi all,

I go swimming at a local pool and take off the leg at the side of the pool. My son moves it to a safe place where it wont get wet and covers it for me. I then just slip into the water - I dont cover the remaining limb and I dont worry any more about how people will look. :P

For the beach I have a water activity leg - I havent tried it in the swimming pool yet! Its waterproof and has a suction liner rather than my usual pin one.

The water leg is an NHS one and its fab - I can body board again!

At the pool I use my leg to get me to the side of the pool and then just whip it off and slide in - I dont cover the leg with anything - but I do clean it thoroughly afterward and moisturise as well. Works for me.

Sye - Cardiff - UK :rolleyes:

I am so thankful for this thread. My husband I had been talking about how to work out swimming, as this is the first summer I am legless. I love the ideas posted here. I LOVE the idea of the socks with toes! May have to do that, if not purely to embarrass my big kids! Thanks for all the good ideas!

Judy

Utah

LBK

Judy , i have a few pairs of the ones with toes and they are like the coolest things around . Mine are the ones with RAINBOW stripes patterns on them .( like , what a surprise :P :P :P ) like the ones shown here :

post-7-1086107627.jpg

Hey Marianne - those are the exact socks I have only they were the shorter version. :lol:

I checked out the fredslegs site - very nice covers - food for thought!!!!!!

Keep Smiling Wendy :)

Hi

I went swimming yesterday. My family had a fish fry by the family lake. After eating some of us decided to swim. I just went over to the dock and shucked off my leg and slipped in. I can not tread water like I used to. We had fun. Getting out of the water is what I have to be careful about with everything wet and slippery. I might have to consitier a water leg some day.

See ya

Clint