Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Wendy

Swimming with no swim leg!

Hey MJ,

it looks just like the 'normal' leg just with a hard shell (water proof)

Hey ...a fin..thats an excellent idea! :D Need to talk to my pros about that one as i'm interested in diving...hmmm!

Hey Kaz, I'd call that a Big Bad Hiccup!!! I would have been horrified!!! :o I can't even begin to imagine how helpless you must have felt. But being the strong mined person you are, NOTHING could or would have stop you from getting to the jeep. Myself, I probably would have called 911, or the hotel!! :o :blink: You know, I'm not sure if the Ins would cover a swim leg or not, but of course like you said, bathing would be my first priority! I'll have to question next week, when I go in, to hopefully pick up my new leg!!! B) :D

Oh no, I wasn't discrediting my legs, as a matter of fact, I'm very proud of my legs, cos anything that can keep up with me shopping, is something to behold!!! :P :lol:

MJ, I have never seen one myself, but if it has fins, I'll pass!! It seems going down the ladder would be rather difficult.... ya think????? :o :lol:

Dabbit, if I were 6" shorter, I'd probably get sucked up in the robotic vacuum cleaner, that is, if I had one!!! :P :lol:

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

MJ, funny you should mention a swim leg with a fin on the end of it. I have actually seen a leg like this! :o You sure you're not secretly a designer for the prosthetic industry??!! :P

I saw it in an information pack/newsletter that I received from Dorset Orthopaedics. They must make swim legs like that.

Though Sheila, you're right, it would be pretty difficult to go down a ladder with it on! I would imagine that they're probably for divers. :blink::blink:

Wow, they actually do make them with fins! B) Which I'm sure you're right, must be for divers. Perhaps in my younger days, I'd toss myself off the side of the boat without a thought, matter of fact I have, :blink: but nowadays, I'd better stay with the ladder and let my hubby catch me, should I slip!! :o

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

As a bilateral aka, I think my comments in this category might be unique (I am not sure):

In Nov of the first year after my "evolution", we took a cruise ship to the Carribean. When in came time for tanning, I would wheel to that deck and lie around. I had to bum my way to the pool, "hop" over the surrounding edge, get to the water and lower myself in. For the first three days, I caused quite a commotion with people stopping to STARE etc.

I now float like a cork.

I couldn't sink if I wanted to.

I can tread water for hours.

Side stroke / back stroke / dog paddle all ok / frony crawl - really sucks!

Last April, we headed to Cuba (not recommended!!!) and stayed at a resort. Spent much time on the beach. Bummed my way to the water on principle. Crashing waves do not work well with a bilat!! Caused no more stares at the bottomless man than there was for the topless women!!

ED