Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
meggy2342000

Clothes shopping

Hi everyone, well i managed to get to town and have a lovely walk round on my own for the first time, without to many problems :) .

It was bliss, no kids playing me up with "can i have", no husband to hmm and tutt and complain about the prices and how much i am spending, lovely, i am in my element. :lol:

That is until in one shop i decided i would take a couple of pairs of jeans and a couple of t/shirts to the fitting room to try them on. I am absolutely boiling hot ( i would choose the hottest day so far this year B) ), i have walked all over town, all i want to do is buy myself some new clothes. To get to the changing room i have to negotiate the ramp(i would use the stairs but i don`t have a free hand to hold onto the rail). I am on a very basic first limb and going up and down slopes is still a bit tricky but i manage. I get to the changing room with my hands loaded, coat hangers digging into my wrists, carrier bags cutting off the circulation to my hands, walking stick lost amongst everything else and this is when i realise what i have to go through to try on the jeans.

1. take off my limb.

2. take off the jeans i am wearing.

3. put on the jeans i want to try.

4. put my limb back on to see if the jeans will go over them.

5. take off the limb.

6. take off the jeans.

7. put my own jeans back on.

8. put my limb back on.

I just couldn`t face all of this in the heat of the changing room so i gathered everything up again and went to the cash desk. I explained to the assistant and she said it was ok to take the clothing home and try them at my leisure :) . As the clothes were in a sale i wasn`t sure if i could do this and get a refund if i had to return them.

So i get home and after a long cool drink i try on the clothes only to find that they don`t fit so now i have to go back to town to return them and hopefully find some that do fit. :(

Now what do i do when i go back, go through the hassle of trying them on in the shop or take them home only to find they are not suitable again.

What do you do ???

Hi Lesley,

Another timely post, as I too have been buying some new clothes recently.

I have to say, without a doubt, that I NEVER try on in the store. It's just too much hassle, which I don't have the energy or patience for. And it gets TOO hot! No way, I just buy, with a view to trying on at home and then return if I have to, which is usually the case because of the extra weight I have put on since becoming an amputee. Grrrrr, I hate it when nothing fits!

I just make sure that I know what the refund policy is of the store that I am buying from. Usually, you've got 28 days to take items back for a full refund WITH YOUR RECEIPT, but in some stores you get less time, and/or you'll only be allowed an exchange NOT a refund, which can be annoying.

As with sale items, you'll only get back the amount you paid for them if you have your receipt. If the price has come down further since buying and you do NOT have a receipt, then you'll be refunded it's current price, which may be a lot less than what you actually paid for it.

The trouble for me is that I'm the worlds worst for not actually getting round to taking stuff back, because I hate going into town so I tend always to try on in a shop if I'm not sure, and ALWAYS in front of a full length mirror (which means I practically never find anything I like).

Lesley, how comes you had to take off your leg BEFORE getting jeans off? Just wondering because the jeans I wear you have no choice but to get 'em off first 'cos it usually took a good 'tyre-levering' to get them over my leg (not to mention the fat backside and 2 spare tyres besides) in the first place :lol: Is it because you need to get the prosthesis in and out of the leg of the trousers first? Just wondered-must be ways round it to make life a bit easier? :blink:

I've only had one shopping trip since the operation and that was last fall. Clothes buying is definitely going to be a challenge. I do luck out on the jeans because I gave them up a few years back due to painful gut with the Crohns. I look at the legs on pants and can tell whether they will fit over my prosthesis. I only get pants with legs that will fit over my shoe and all. If I'm fortunate, I get a dressing room for handicapped people that has a bench in it. I try the first leg over my good one with its shoe on, if it goes, I'm usually good to go. I'm not about to be taking off and putting on my prosthesis in a dressing room. Picky old lady I am. Since I'm still in the first prosthesis and not sure when I'll get the skin covering, I don't have to worry about dresses or skirts yet. One thing nice about summer is shorts will fit over anything. A friend of mine is a bit upset with me that I go out in public in shorts with my prosthesis showing. I told her that I hope when people look at me they thank God that they have two perfectly, wonderfully working natural legs, but I will not wear things that I'll be hot in because I'm ashamed of my new anatomy. Oh, that's a whole other discussion, isn't it?

I've found that although the clothes at Walmart are a bit on the cheapish side I enjoy shopping there because they have the motorized carts for the diabled. Until I get my final prosthesis, that hopefully will be a bit more comfortable for longer walks, Walmart fills my bill for comfortable shopping. Also, their dressing rooms are a good size with the bench in them. Comfort is the key.

Carole

Hi everyone

I can echo a lot of what has been said. Nowadays have to be in the mood to be shopping for clothes. I do actually buy quite a lot of things mail order, which can be tried on at home and sent back if not wanted.

Where I live, the fitting rooms in shops seem to have improved in recent years, I find the larger stores such as M &S, BHS, are better for me and often have a bench. I have also struggled with Jeans in a tiny cubicle with no bench, then there was a time when the fitting rooms were the large multi-person kind.

I have recently been looking for Jeans, having lost a slight amount of wieght, and feeling quite pleased with myself, ordered a few pairs of Jeans in the next size down ......... horrific, I couldn't get then done up!

CLOTHES SHOPPING!!! WOOHOO!!! WHO SAID SHOPPING!!! ;)

<deep breath> ;)

The inconvenience of not being able to try everything on in the store when I'm wearing my leg. That's one of those little niggles that I have not been able to deal with, and it's probably going to bother me forever.

My gripe with shopping these days isn't so much in the changing room, as I don't wear my leg much and I can try stuff on without much of a problem, but in the spaced-out attitude I get from salespeople, but that's more a matter of local idiosyncrasies and prejudice. Oh, well.

<another deep breath>

I also tend to buy two pairs of the same pants if I really like them. One pair goes straight to my seamstress for alteration and the other is left unsaltered and reserved for use with a prosthesis. I just hate the 'folded up and pinned down boot' look.

I have the same problem with jeans - only jeans for some reason!! <_<

I can't get them on over the leg - tyre lever is right!!! Have to take off the leg put the jeans on the then roll up the jean leg to over the knee (if it'll go that far!!!) then put the leg on and try...and try...to get them back over the leg. Ha, Ha, its fun at home....but wouldn't try in a changing room - I'd be all over the place and I'm sure no one wants to see a half dressed woman rolling about on the floor with a leg half off!!!! OOOHH What a sight!!! :P

Sue - Cardiff - UK :blink:

I agree Laura, it is something that niggles but in future i will make sure i am in no hurry and i will try to keep cool and not get hot and bothered, i think i will also avoid the places that make returning goods awkward for people. Luckily most of the good shops are very understanding and with consumer rights etc it shouldn`t be to much of a problem. :)

Another thing that crossed my mind was,

what if i am half way through trying on the jeans, no leg and no jeans on , and the fire alarm was to go off, oh my gosh!!!, what would i do. :(

I remember a few years back when my son was a toddler, i was trying on trousers in a changing room, just at the stage of in between when my son thought it would be great to throw the clothes out of the cubicle :blink: , both the ones i was trying on and my own, i could have dropped on the spot because they were the kind of changing rooms that have the mens to the left and ladies to the right and you could see right down the length of them all.

Lol my head off at Sue and Lesley, you pair honestly :lol:

no one wants to see a half dressed woman rolling about on the floor with a leg half off!!!!

Aww Sue, you ain't met my husband LMAO :lol: ;) Conjured up some tres amusing mental piccies of you tho' :) :P

And as for this.....

what if i am half way through trying on the jeans, no leg and no jeans on , and the fire alarm was to go off, oh my gosh!!!, what would i do.

.............and this

I remember a few years back when my son was a toddler, i was trying on trousers in a changing room, just at the stage of in between when my son thought it would be great to throw the clothes out of the cubicle

............dear lord, you crease me up Lesley-and err, I take it you have heard of Murphy's Law????

I was wondering how i was going to accomplish this and have never seen anything in writing about it, thanks for the ideas. One thing that my daughter tells me is missing from here is that you can shop online also (similar to mail order) she says they have various exchange policies so it's best to check up front. Thanks again for the ideas. God bless you.

MIKE

You said, SHOPPING!!! I'm ready, in your car or mine???? :D :lol:

When I first started out shopping, I was a nervous wreck. People waiting for the changing rooms etc, so I'd feel like I had to hurry and when I do that, believe me, I'm all thumbs!! So then I'd start to get :rolleyes: and come home with nothing, rather than having to run them back everytime. Now I do either one with no problem.

Of course I realize everyone is in a different situation, but I DON'T and never have taken the leg off while shopping. I just take my sneakers off and try the slacks or shorts on that way. Just like you would, if you weren't an amputee and I find it much easier. ;) But now I can usually judge, if they'll go over my leg or not and just bring them home, if not, well that just gives me another reason to go shopping again!!! :P :lol:

Sheila LBK

Southern Maine

Keep Smiling :)

~groan~ I hate shopping and especially for clothes. It's the lack of choice that really annoys me especially where shoes and suitable trousers and skirts are concerned that dont look old fashioned or 'frumpy'.

I do do some shopping online which tends to be okay in some respects but I find it almost as annoying in a different way-things never look the same in real life as they do pinned onto some skinny bint in a piccy in your web browser for some reason, much like catalogue clothes, grrrrr.

Hey its Lesley

and I have something to tell you about all this shopping

even when I had my tennis shoes on I would get them over

or I would just take them home which I sometimes do

and I agree with Carole I do shop at Wal-mart and I found some cute shirts

and a pair of comfortable stretch pants

and whenever Im the dressing room I get to sit

and I have all the time in the world

so I love it

and remember always buy pants that are baggy

doesnt matter if they are not stylish

as long as they fit

and they are comfortable

But yes I do wear shorts in the summer time

and then when school starts up again I love my pants

because it doesnt take me forever to put them on

just put my pants on over the foot and then put the leg on

pull em' up and I am good to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope I could help

Lesley

I can understand why people with first-time or temporary prostheses would need to take the leg off but why do the rest of you need to take the leg off?

Like Sheila I've always got changed the way a non-amp would. Shoes off and then try the clothes on. Admittedly I am a little slow but I think that's more about me than the leg! ;)

I can't wear very tight trousers or jeans because of the prosthesis but then I just look for either baggy trousers or stretch jeans, etc. Some stores do have tiny cubicles without a chair and that can get quite amusing but we amps are pretty good at balancing on one leg! :P

I can understand why people with first-time or temporary prostheses would need to take the leg off but why do the rest of you need to take the leg off?

Like Sheila I've always got changed the way a non-amp would. Shoes off and then try the clothes on. Admittedly I am a little slow but I think that's more about me than the leg!  ;)

I can't wear very tight trousers or jeans because of the prosthesis but then I just look for either baggy trousers or stretch jeans, etc. Some stores do have tiny cubicles without a chair and that can get quite amusing but we amps are pretty good at balancing on one leg!  :P

I could have written that... word for word

the other thing is, if you are an AK and you haven't got a turntable/knee rotator... get one, because that's what makes it possible for me to easily change trousers, shoes etc.