Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ampskier

Das Boots

I work as a welder so I wear steel toed work boots. Made from leather and very stiff they are extreamly hard to get on and off my prostetic leg. I had a zipper put in the boot so I can get into it from the back. This makes it a lot easyer, but it makes the boot weaker. Any other tips?

Umm, aside from zips I still don't know about this one Eric. I worked on building sites for a number of years but could never wear the rigger boots that are the current trend on there (not that I was desperate to join the fashion statement thing or anything, honest B) ). Anyhows I ended up with these lace-up safety boots called Goliaths but I doubt they'd be so good for welding as they are only about ankle high. If it's any consolation I need chainsaw boots, but do you think I can find any I could get into?????? <_< Maybe we should design a range of decent safety boots for various applications just for people with these sorts of difficulties ~nods~.

Eric, there is a company called IRON AGE that makes everything from full metatarsal boots to steel toed sneaker they make pull ons and ones with velcro fasteners if i can find an addres or 800 number i'll get back to you. Oh before i go i want to say watch out breathing those welding fumes and don't work too hard.

MIKE

Crazzy1 What I did was took my boot to a shoe repair place. I told them what I needed and for $20 they put a nifty zipper in the boot that works great.

Thanks Eric, I can see me ending up having to do something like that although Ziggy's suggestion also sounds pretty good. The thing with the chainsaw boots though is that they have to have a lot of reinforcement and full shin protection in case you slip (I don't plan on becoming a bilateral just yet), so it might compromise the safety of 'em if they put a zip in :rolleyes: !!! The other problem I have is that they only ever make these things in MAN's sizes and I'm a wee girly with a size 5 foot-I can't be the only female who does have a need for something like it surely?!?!

The boots that I wear have laces so it's just like puttin on a pair of tennies. (they are Harley Boots that I bought for riding the Harley) Eric I think there are some steel toed boots out there that lace up you might want to check at an Army Navy store or even a gun store that's where my hubby buys a lot of his work boots and they lace some even have zippers already in them.

Brenda I weld so I can't have sparks going into my laces. Might set my foot on fire.

Crazy1 Put the zipper in the boot for your fake leg only. If you cut that one off it's no biggy, just more firewood.

As finding girl sized boots. I'm sure they make em' There are female welders. One of the best welders I know is a woman. Don't know about girl lumberjacks. Must be more than you though. Look around Origon.

Hi folks,

Having been in the retail clothing/shoe biz for 30 plus years, I've seen most everything.

Eric, instead of putting the zipper in the back of the boot, have it put in the inside seam. A heavy duty zipper put from sole to top of the boot won't make the boot flimsy. There are some boots that are made with a zipper in them already. You might also need to find a boot spoon to help get it on easier.

Cazzy, there are boots made in women's sizes to fit your needs; they are just hard to find and expensive when you do. Most men's boots start no smaller than a man's size 6 and being a womans size 5, they will be too long and wide for your foot. Your best bet might be doing an internet search. Search for steel toe, lineman boots, or chainsaw boots. You might want to put "women's" in the search. I guarantee that someone, somewhere does make them.

Hope this helps some.

Kep :)

Yea they put the zipper on the inside side of the boot

Hi, I don't need welding boots, but to find a pair of winter boots, size 5 also, that I could get my foot into was almost impossible. :angry: I went everywhere and finely found them, tho it ended up being at a more expensive place and I didn't really wanna pay that much for them. :blink: But whatcha gonna do, when you want to go out side, and the snow is up to your knees, sneakers tend to get a bit chilly. :blink: Anyways, I still had kind of a hard time with them at first, had to kinda force'em on with a shoe horn. Then I thought, why not us a piece of plastic wrap, around my foot, I did and the boot went on so much easier. I remember as a kid someone doing that for me. Gosh, I can't believe I remembered that far back!!! :lol:

Sheila LBK

Southern Maine

Keep Smiling :)