Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Agnes

My 1st prostheses

Hi Folks!

Alas! The wait is over! :lol: I had brought my leg back from the limb centre! What a long long wait!

The leg is not really 100% completed though, coz my prosthetist had not attach the skin covering to it yet, but he told me that i can bring it home for practice til next week when I turn up for my next appointment.

What a great feeling it is to walk again! :rolleyes: Before I got my leg, i was still hopping around on 1 leg with my crutches. But today, when I got my leg, I was actually WALKING! Really couldn't believe it! :P

But my prosthetist had instructed that I can only wear my leg for 15 minutes, 3 times a day for 2-3 days and subsequently increase it to 30minutes each time. hmmmmmmm, how long will it take for me to be able to don on my leg for the whole entire leg??

I will going back to work come 2nd May 2003 and I can't wait to go back with 2 legs! Do you all think I will be able to wear it for the whole day by then??

I am sooooooooooooooo excited!

Agnes,

That is SUPER.. I know it always feels so good to get a new leg and it feels even better when it fits.

I hate to say this because it seems to be the standard but here I go. Be PATIENT. Yes it is very important to do what the prosthetist says and wear it like he says. It will help your stump get used to the leg being on there and also it is still tender skin and will take time to build up resistance(I'm not sure if that is a good word or not) to the leg being on for 8 to 18 hrs a day.

Because I'm bull headed :P as the day is long I had a set back because I didn't want to do that and wore the leg and walked on it as much as I could. Bad decision.

Keep at it and remember you will have some BAD :rolleyes: days but you will have GOOD days to. :D

Keep us posted.

Brenda

Hi Brenda!

Was walking with my leg today for 15 minutes and when took it off, I could see some red patches and a blister. Do you think it is a big issue? Advisable to continue walking with the leg or should I rest for a few days and see how things go?? Is this caused by a bad fitting of the leg?? :(

Advise needed desperately...

Agnes :(

Agnes,

The red spot can be ok but the blister not good. Is the blister on the stump itself or is it around the top where the liner ends? I would say stay out of the leg for a day or two and let the blister heal then try again. If the blister is there the next time you take the leg off go to the leg guy and show him. Is the leg rubbing in any areas? Is it too tight where you notice the blister? It is a little bit of a pain at first to get the leg adjusted but be patient and keep at it. How did it feel to walk? I bet it was great.

Sorry for so many questions and I hope this helps you.

Brenda :D

Congratulations Agnes, :D

You are doing really well, and i sure in time you will have your leg on all the day. And like Niki you will wear your boots and jeans, Good on you. Keep up the good work.

Vicki Williams Australia