Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
sueflayy

Pin verses sleeve/suction?

hey all

do u have pin liner? if so , how does cover work with pin?

if u dont have pin, why not? i have pin now and it is tough,, hard to get pin in, not sure if best for me

what are ur thoughts on pin verses sleeve/suction?

thank u

sue

Hi Sue,

I've got a pin system. I did sometimes find that the last notch won't ratchet in - but either I bounce on it slightly...or re position the pin..or use WD40 on the pin itself - slides in better. ;)

Now though, my prosthetist had made a sort of leather washer which slides on over the pin up to the top of the pin, near the distal end and then this helps the pin to get that last 'click' in. :D

I have also tried the suction liner - on the water leg - BUT if you come dowbn in size - even slightly - it may not fit properly into the liner and also the socket - this happened to me and the water leg has had to be re done. They tried lining the socket with a soft leather - but that did not help - I had lost 2 cm off the leg (no where else though!!) <_< With the suction you can't use socks to add extra thickness if you need to - at least with the pin you can.

I don't know - but maybe the suction liner would be best for anyone who's limb has stabilised over time and perhaps not for those who are still relatively new - mine was fitted 5 months post op and I thought I'd achieved my 'normal' shape and then lost another 2 cm. I wear a 28 Iceross Comfort Liner for the pin, and I've been told that I may need a 26 soon!! Wish that was my waist size!! :lol:

Sue - Cardiff - UK

My first leg was a pin system. I hated it. I have a passive suction system now. It is alot better for me. Easier on and off. Feels more natural. Just my opinion.

Tonya

I have suction legs at the moment. I tried pin system legs before but there was just too much distal pulling. I found them unbearble to walk in so I gave them back! ;) Maybe it was because I am bilateral and I tried them just 6 months post-op. Anyway, I am much happier now with my suction legs.

With the suction you can't use socks to add extra thickness if you need to - at least with the pin you can.

Mmmm, I'm not too sure about this. :rolleyes: I recently had problems with one of my legs going down too far into the socket and causing me pain, so my prosthetist cut off the bottom of a thick sock and put the top of the sock on my stump! :blink: I asked the same question, thinking that the half-sock would interfere with the suction, but she said it would be ok. I had no choice but to give it a go, and much to my surprise the leg stayed on with no problems at all. :D

Hi,

I agree with Afet about the pin system. I hated it. The distal pull, bottom of stump, was way too annoying for me. I have been trying the suction system, Ossur Seal in Liners. I really like them & want them to work. I just have a few kinks to work out. I started out using the Renegade feet with the system. Too boucy & unstable for me being a bk. Now I'm in the Runways. They can be adjusted for up to 2in heel height. I haven't played around with that aspect yet, just trying to get the socket fitted for now. As for a functioning foot, it seems to be responsive. I tried elation in the past & the foot wasn't responsive. Ok, so back to the Seal Ins. We added some shock absorbers to the pylon yesterday. It's not bouncy, personally I don't really feel it, but it is absorbing some shock. The main problem with the liners is staying in them. When I walk it's fine, best I've ever had. When I sit & cross my legs, the seal is broken & if I swing my leg a few times, the leg falls off. My stumps are kind of short & so maybe the seal isn't as far down into the socket as it should be. I am afraid I'd lose it. :unsure: My guy is contacting the company for a solution.

So, for all of you Seal In wearers........how's it going for you? At this point mine feel a bit heavier than my old set & I was wondering, when finished does the button stick out a lot? Let me know.

Linda