Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
purdygurl

Amy purdy as lead role in movie

Hello everyone, It has been about 2 1/2 months since I have checked into the forum. I have been very busy the last few months having an incredible experience. about 2 months ago I was contacted by a director in Los Angeles. He was looking for a below knee amputee to play a lead role in his film he's producing "Whats Bugging Seth". The character described me perfectly "below knee amputee, age 20-24, brown red hair, has a great interest in music and art". I auditioned against 30 other actors I think a few amputees, they were going to use an able-bodie actor if they couldn't find what they were looking for. Anyways I was very excited that I got the part. So now "Alma" the character has 2 below knee prosthetics instead of 1. Anyways I have been in Northern California filming for the last 3 weeks and will be here until July. Its such an incredible learning experience, one of the hardest but most exciting things Iv done in my life, and its the first time an amputee has had a lead role in a movie. Anyways the hardest part has been connecting with "Alma" my character. We are a lot alike in many ways, Iv experience everything she has but Alma lets her insecurities get to her. Yet there is still a very powerful side to her. It has been therapy for me in a way because naturally whenever I get a negative thought maybe about myself or my legs, I immediatly replace it with a positive one. Im a very confident positive person and would never let my legs or things Iv gone through get me down. Im starting my own non-profit and acting and doing things my way. Alma on the other hand, lets her insecurities run her life, Iv had to bring those emotions up and express them instead of suppressing them. Iv had to show my vulnerable side without shrugging it off and let it effect me,just ride through while staring through a camera lense. THis whole month has been quite and experience. Anyways I just thought I would throw in a little note. I know that there will be some artcles coming out about the movie and some interviews shortly so keep your eyes open if your interested. Also I will be at the ACA meeting in Tennesse. There will be a runway show set up and I will be wearing my freedom innovations Runway foot. Hope to meet some of you there. Amy

Thanks AMy

YAAAHOOOO!!!!!

That is so COOL!!!!! It's nice when Hollywood uses a really disabled actor to portray a disabled caricter. It's so rare. Patric Stewart did a really good job playing Captain Ahab but he was just another AB actor playing an amputee.

If a white actor played a black person in make-up you'd never hear the end of it. Just look what happened to Ted Danson!

Good luck with the movie. Are you going to be back in Calif? If so where? Maybe we can meet for lunch. That is if you'll still have lunch with a lowly welder.

Eric

Oh WOW Amy!! :D That's fantastic news. I'm so happy for you!!

When is the film coming to England? I can't wait to watch it.

I bet you'll have done all us amputees proud. Good on ya!

Hi Amy

thanks for sharing that, what a great achievement.

When they filmed Saving Private Ryan, I understand that they did have a few amps in the battle scenes.

Now me, I'm trying to rent myself out as a pirate for Pirate films. I envisage sitting at a table in an old tavern, drinking ale, eating cooked chickens, nothing else just eating and drinking. I'm sure if I was offered money I wouldn't be offended. I don't even mind Johnny Depp talking his lines whilst I eat and drink, no probs.

Good luck

best as ever

Steve

(Who thinks maybe that last para should be in the Dream thread, ah! well)

Wow, how exciting can you get, you lucky thing.

I will definately look out for the film, if you could find out dates for when it is to be shown over here in the UK, let us know.

Keep enjoying yourself :)

FAB!!!!

Well done and oh, by the way - can we ALL come to the premier??????????? :P

Have Fun.

Sue - Cardiff - UK :rolleyes:

You guys are so funny, I enjoyed reading your replys. The Film will take a while to come out, we are still shooting Im actually getting ready to go to set in a few moments, but after its shot it goes through editing etc. hopefully by October it will be ready and going to film festivals, which will be so much fun. THen from there it will be picked up by a large production company and put on the big screen. So beginning of 2005. I will keep you updated.

Doggie, your very funny :) Iv met a couple of the guys who did Saving Private Ryan. There is Alot of stunt work out there if your willing to do those scenes, I turned down a film because they wanted to blow my legs off, every war film they need amputees, I just don't want to get stuck in that type of work. Talk to you guys later. Amy

amp skiier, you live in tahoe? I snowboard and will be moving there one of these days. I will be in the Monterey Area for another week thats it, then back to So Cal. Do you work with the DSUSA program up there? I am starting a non-profit that will work with DSUSA to start some snowboard programs. Anyways keep in touch. Amy

Hey Purdy,

tell your director etc, there are loads of experienced actors on this forum, look back to the thread where the members actually wrote, directed and acted out a scenario twist on James Bond.

What more could a film maker want :lol:

Er... emmm Meggy,

I was just wondering how come you didn't include a pirate sitting in a tavern, drinking ale and eating chicken in your 'movie'?

:D

as ever

Steve

Amy,

As a matter of fact I do work with DSUSA. Infact my web page is a link the DSUSA site. I work with the winter program and I want to work with water skiing but the ski days are on my work days.

I ski, so of course I think all snow borders are bad guys ;) I'd like to accually try it. Is it very hard with fake limbs. I work with the Adaptive ski school and there is not ONE single snowbord instructor. Maybe you should give Kim a call. Volunteer training is in December.

Good luck,

Eric

Amy,

I'll be in TN as well and might be in the runway show I applied but haven't yet heard so I'll be looking for you either way. I am arriving on Aug 4th and leaving on Aug 9th.. Maybe we will get a chance to meet.

Congrats on the Movie sounds exciting...

Sorry doggie, i don`t recall there being a pirate sitting in a tavern, drinking ale and eating chicken,

But!! i am sure there would be a way of incorporating one into the storyline somehow. :rolleyes:

Congratulations Amy! First magazines and now movies! You are going great. I hope you are learning lots and enjoying the journey. I'll be looking for you on the interview circuit and on the big screen :)

Amy, I'm so pleased for you, it's like a dream come true. I hope you won't forget all your old friends on this forum when you're rich and famous B). I can just imagine all these one legged people arriving at Leicester Square in London to watch your premiere, sorry if I've offended anyone, but just think of the publicity!!!

A green with envy middle aged woman!!! :(

Love Pam

XX

Amy, Congrats!

But Pam, it's still not too late.....we are still casting for the Dr. YES which will shortly be filming....hehehe :D A star may yet be born !!!

Thanks you guys for all your support. It is exciting and Im enjoying the journey. Its definatly not glamorous at least not yet. Its like 18 hour days.It would be great to have the support of fellow amputees when this movie comes out. Its a pretty positive thing to have a "handicapped" person which Im not handicapped Im Footdicapped :) anyways to have someone with a disability not play the stereotypical "Disabled" person. My character has a lot to her and she goes through different emotions and grows and, I just feel lucky that Im a part of it. AMy

Hey Kaz maybe I could audition for the bad guy, makes a change for it to be a woman, maybe Gold Limb!!!!!!

Pam

XXX

I got my newest issue of OandP magazine and there is a great article in it about Amy, who goes by "purdygirl" around here. She told us last spring about a movie she had been cast in and this article talks about what a great actress she is, and how her movie is coming out soon.....does anyone else get "OandP" magazine?

Amy, if you are checking in, we are really proud of you...cant wait to see your movie!

Judy

Utah

LBK

No I don't get that magazine...is it an amputee based one? If you wouldn't mind give me some info on it, I might check it out.

CONGRATS purdygirl!!!!

What's the name of the movie going to be?

:ph34r:

I don't get that magazine either as I live in the UK, but am really routing for Amy. I am a bilateral amputee like Amy, so she definitely gets my support.

Yeah Amy, we're really happy for you and proud of your achievements! :D

LadyC: The movie is called What's bugging Seth?

I get that magazine because I'm a member of the Amputee Coalition of america or ACA. I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting Amy while I was in TN at the annual convention. What a wonderful person she is! Amy you GO GIRL!

Way to go Amy! I will definitely be in line to see the show! Congratulations!

Caroln