Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Stumpy1

sweaty leg

I (even though I am a new amputee) have a tip to share.

For those of you who in summer months or in climates where heat gets extreme, my orthotists' assistant has given me my new best friend (being I live in Florida, sweating is a big problem) she has given me a bottle of Certain Dry anti- perspirant, it is a over the counter prescription strength product that closes the pores for about 24 to 48 hours. You put this on at bedtime and the next day you're good to go. I have no address to find out where you can purchase in your area but there is a toll free number on the bottle for the manufacturer/distributor.

The manufacturer/distributors number is 1-800-331-0221, they are out of Edison NJ, I am sure those of you in other countries can perform a product search online to see if you can get this in your areas as well.

Hi all,

I've got ALPS Prosthetic Anti-Perspirant Spray from my prosthetist - seems to be working ok at the mo. I just spray my limb, wait for it to dry and put on the liner.

The heat does make my liner warm - so I make extra sure to scrub it at night when I take it off.

Sue - Cardiff - UK :rolleyes:

Hi there!

I have never heard of these products -though I have talked to my pros different times about sweating and my liner slipping down, thus pinching my skin. I have had a few blisters as a result.

Why are these things not told to us???????????????

I really don't understand :rolleyes: it's things like this when there are products to help and NO INFOMATION and not being told. WHY......................

Keep Smiling Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I mentioned the sweaty liners (urgh sounds awful!!) to my prosthetist and he came back into the room with the ALPS spray for me.

Their address is on the bottle: Alps South Corp., PO Box 60429, St Petersburg, FL 33714-0429. OR http://www.easyliner.com OR info@easyliner.com.

Mine is 4 fl oz in a fine mist spray. Its quite good and I've had no irritation and it is odourless as well - unlike a sweaty liner!!!!! :D .

Hope this helps.

Sue - Cardiff - UK :rolleyes:

I agree Wendy,

See I was told of this certain dry and was given a bottle of it, and I am in St Petersburg and have never heard of this Alps company...but I will be sure to pass the information on to my orthotist and his assistant so they can offer the info to others. Thanks to you too Sue.

Marie

Hi,

I live in Singapore, very near to equator, daytime temperatures ranging from 30 degrees C to 34 degrees C and very high humidity.

I have however very different experience than mentioned in most of the postings here. Mine is opposite. During weekdays when I have to spend most of my days in aircon environment, the skin on my stump tends to get dry, which can cause slight irritation sometimes. And when I go cycling during weekends and my stump perspires, my stump feels better than any other times. Could it be because I have a PTB socket and use Silipos against the skin? I believe Silipos takes the extra perspiration and yet leaves the skin moist hence keeping the skin very comfortable. Also, we never run aircon at home (our apartment being on 12th floor); perhaps my body system is adjusted to high humidity and suffers in aircon which is more dry. I remember that years ago before my amputation when I had to travel to Hongkong couple of times, my whole body started drying, lips cracking etc.

I have a cure for aircon dryness however; if my skin starts feeling too dry and irritated at the back of my knee, I wrap the back of my knee with the Glad Wrap (the one that is used for wrapping food) and that helps containing the moist on the skin and irritation goes away. I always keep a roll of Glad Wrap in my office.

Anyone with similar experience?

Kind regards,

Jukka

I'm going to try the certaindri on the days that I run as I sweat something fierce. The one good thing is my socket volume doesn't change but my sleeve does tend to slide down my leg. I'll let you know if it works.

I have an even better idea. Instead of putting harsh cemicals on your body try movine to the moutains where it's cool. This has been very helpfull for me. Unfortunatly I'll probably be working in Reno where it's quite hot in the summer. Here's hoping the job at Alpine works out.

I know there have been discussions on this before but today I was noticing that I am really struggling with a sweaty limb, now that summer has hit. Mainly because my liner slides down. I have to take it off, wipe it out, and put in back on, a PAIN! I know people have suggested putting an anti-persperant on it but I was looking in the store and there are only anti-persperant/deodorants, which means they have perfumes in them I dont want. What brand of anti persperant do you all use?....spray or roll on?

Judy

LBK

UTah

Hi,

I was given a spray by my prosthetist which is really great:

Its made by ALPS and is a prosthetic anti perspirant spray.

They make so many other products also for prosthetic use:

www.easyliner.com

Well worth a look. Ask your limb centre for some - apparently some stock these products.

I had the same problem before the spray - I could slide the liner off in the hot weather and its not great for causing rashes also. I now use the spray, wash the liner every night with an anti-bacterial handwash (Carex Milk and Camomile Moisture Pump) and I use this on the leg also - haven't had any problems with rashes since. :D

Hope this helps.

Sue - cardiff - UK :unsure:

Thanks sue!!

Judy

Utah

Hi,

I posted earlier my comment that I feel better if my stump perspires.

I met on last Sunday a guy who said that he also perspired a lot in beginning, but then it stopped. His theory is that it is the brain that controls the sweatting and it stopped because the brain adjusted to it and is now sending a message that it is not worth to perspire so much in a particular location in your body when other parts of the body are not perspiring. Any comment on that? This friend of mine is using olive oil on his stump, which is a product of the nature, and says his stump skin has no problems.

I also would like to comment on using antiperspirants to close the pores. I think it is not healthy as this works against the natural body system. Why did people in cold climates invent sauna for body cleansing? It was because they did not perspire naturally and felt the need to find an alternative in opening the pores of the skin to get the toxins out of the body and to keep the skin healthy too. These early inventions are somewhat accidental, kind of trial and error inventions, experience based. I respect all the old wisdom passed on to us, but I can also see that many of us modern people turn to all kinds of quick fixes provided by chemical industry and medical profession and at the same time forgetting that there were many experience based healing methods.

In my own case I feel that my own perspiration is also a lubricant that protects my skin. I even find that when I cycle under a hot sun, I do not get any sunburn as my perspiration is a natural protection. If I sit in a sailing boat in the same conditions and do not perspire, my skin burns if I do not use any suntan lotion.

Maybe it would be healthier to try different types of materials against the skin instead of chemicals. However, I do not know how these silicon sleeve systems work as I am not a user; is it possible to put any sock underneath, against the skin? I am using Silipos sock against the skin and that works for me.

Kind regards,

Jukka