Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Brenda

Introduction / My First 5K / My Best Time Ever

Hi My name is Brenda and I'm a RBK. I was born without my right foot and on 8/1/02 I had a revision surgery to the leg. I have years of experience in the prosthetic world but just now learing about the new technology stuff. I have a very supportive family and they always believed that I could do anything that I wanted. I have played all sports like soccer, baseball, basketball, volleyball and others.

My new endevour is running for charity events like 5k's, 10k's and hopefully a marathon in 2004. I began my training and will be running my first event this saturday. I am really looking forward to it and I am actually a little on the apprehensive side since this will be my first ever race.

I hope I can contribute to this group or at least give encouragement.

Brenda RBK

Hi Brenda, It is really wonderful to hear how active you are. After my amputation, I tried to get back in to field hockey but chemotherapy put a stop to that and I never tried to become active again. (Aside from the occasional exercise video!) Don't let the race intimidate you, it is amazing to me that you are even thinking of participating in an event like that. Even if you came in last, (which we know you won't), it is still a huge accomplishment, for an amputee or abled body person, (but even more special for us.) Best of Luck :D

Iris

Welcome to the forum Brenda!!!! :) We are glad to have you join us. :rolleyes:

Our birthday falls on the same date; July 2nd, and we are both amputees on this forum. What a connection!!! :P :D :)

We have ourselves a real nice group of people here on the forum, looking to make the most out of what we have, and what else may be available to share. Thank you for your contribution to the forum and being a part of it.

By the way, where are you from, and where will you be running in the event this Saturday? We all will be cheering for your successful participation.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. :D

Best Regards: :rolleyes:

Hi Brenda!

I am sure you can do it. Believe in yourself. I have yet to get my 1st prothesis, but once I get it, I am determined to get myself up and running too, just like you!Just do your best. You have all our support! :)

All the best to you! :)

Agnes

:D HI BRENDA,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! ITS GREAT TO MEET YOU!

:rolleyes: MY NAME IS NIKI, AND I HAVE BEEN A BRK FOR 10 MONTHS. I AM 20YRS OLD AND NOT TO MUCH IS HOLDING ME BACK FROM DOING MOST OF MY NORMAL ACTIVITIES! :lol:

KEEP KEEN AND DO YOUR BEST! :D

KEEP IN TOUCH!

LUV NIKI AUSTRALIA :D

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and encouraging words.

JohnnyV, that is funny our b-days are on the same day and we are both amputees what a connection.... :lol: I live in Florida and the race is in my local area of Central Florida. I will post my results here.

I have also been interviewed and MAYBE just MAYBE my story is going to be in the papers, magazines... We will see.. keeping my fingers crossed.

Brenda

I promised to post my 5K results so here it is.

I walked/ran and finished in 53.29 minutes. I wasn't the last one to finish either and I was the only amputee there. I figured I did a 17.79 minute mile.... not to bad for my first race. I can only improve from here....

My therapist ran with me to help me with my pacing. She was such a great help to me.. My CP came and cheered me on. I am planning another race on May 3rd...

Brenda RBK :-)

Congratulations Brenda !!!

We all knew that you would do well, and are very proud to have you as part of our forum family!!! :lol: You have given in yourself, someone who we admire and really look up to!!! :D What an inspiration and mentor you are to us all !!!

Where is the track ??? :blink: I am ready to run in a race!!! I will have to start out in the 1K race, and will work my way up. :wub:

Thank you for sharing your experience wih us. :)

Love: :wub:

Johnny V,

The race was held in Melbourne, Fl about an hr drive from my home. I just practiced around my house actaully I ran around the block for safety reasons. Take it one step/ jog at a time and if you feel sore or pain stop.

I am very happy and proud to be a member of this wonderful site and I think it is going to do great things for the amputee world. I never really thought about being a mentor for other amputees until about 6 months ago. I am now a mentor of children and my local Rehab hospital holds a support group meeting the first wed of every month and have been mentoring through that. If I can help ONE amputee no matter how I help them then I know I have done SOMETHING great. There was nobody for me when I was growing up but my wonderful Family who were very supportive to me but I never had much contact with any other amputees.

:D

Hi Brenda!:)

Congratulations! :D You r really doing very well! :) And I'm really proud of you! :P Really looking forward to jogging around my area once I get my leg! :P Getting very impaitent now as I wait for another 1.5 weeks more when I can look forward to having my measurements taken for my 1st prostheses ever! :)

Can't wait to feel the wind brushing against me as I jog or cycle! :)

You take good care and keep us updated on all your race results! :)

Cheers,

Agnes

Congratulations Brenda!

That is so wonderful, you must feel so good with all of your accomplishments. To all the people who don't think amputees can do EVERYTHING, Here is to you! :D

Iris

Hi All,

Well I started training today for another race that I will be in on 4/26. I walked/ran 3 miles and took 4 minutes off my time finishing with a 49.24 minutes. I hope to get it down to 40 minutes before the race so I have a lot of work to do.

If I'm not to sore I'm going to try again tomorrow so far so good but tomorrow could change it. :D

Brenda :P

Hi Brenda,

I was wondering what motivated you to begin running? Do you know people who are into it and suggested it to you or is this an interest you developed and just decided to start doing marathons? I'm not an amputee but I find this very impressive, I don't have anywhere near that much drive to get out there and pound the pavement.

Go, go, go!

Lark

Lark,

There are several reasons why I decided to run. One I went to a fitness for Everyone seminar with Todd and Dennis they are paralympian amputees who have set records for fastest running. (www.fitnessforeveryone.com) I also started doing therapy at a rehab where I met my wonderful therapist and she is also a runner and after going through some therapy I found that running was something that I wanted to do. Growing up as an amputee I never really was a good runner but back in the 70's prosthetics wasn't what it is today. I am so excited about doing this that I want to train and I want to run those races and yes I am going to try for the Marathon. I was thinking that I might not do the marathon next year but a half Marathon but the more I'm out there running the more I'm thinking this is a do able thing.

Brenda :D

Hi Brenda,

You are terrific...I am in awe! I kind of have a wishbone where my backbone should be about exercise and all that entails. I hope you feel the wind at your back often.

All the best,

Lark

Lark,

Thank you very much for the compliment.... I sometimes surprise myself. I was training yesterday for an up comming 5K and I was actually able to run a little further every time I ran. It felt better and I felt better. It sure feels good to have the wind in my back..

Brenda

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post to let you know that I'm in training and it is going pretty good. My times are not any faster but I'm running further every time I run. I am going to be running a race next saturday 4/26 over a causeway and back so I have been practicing doing that last weekend my time was 57 minutes today it was 55.15. I felt a lot better today then I have in previous runs and I was able to run further every time I ran. I actually ran down the whole causeway without stopping both on the way out and on the way back. This was a pretty big challenge for me because I never liked or never really went out of my way to walk up steep hills let alone run up.

My therapist has been helping me with my pacing so she would tell me things to work on and that helped me a great deal. The only real problem that I had was at the half way point I had to pee something fierce and it was all I could do to hold it to the bathrooms back on the other side of the causeway. :P

The local paper of my area is doing a story on me and it will be published on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I kind of feel funny having someone interview me but I want people to know that we AMPUTEES can do whatever we want to in life including running.

I say live life to the fullest.

Best Regards

Brenda :huh:

Our Brenda is famous everybody. :rolleyes: Her fantastic story of inspiration has caught the attention of the press. :D

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/...toryA50167A.htm

Good luck to you Brenda, with your participation in the 16th Annual Melbourne Art Festival 5K Flamingo Run, this Saturday April 26th, 2003 at 8 a.m.. :) As always we will be rooting for Brenda and her success in this event. ;) We are proud to have Brenda as a member of our forum, and the inspiration that she provides us all with. :wub:

Hi Brenda,

Congratulations! I just read your story from the newspaper. How

wonderful for you and your family.

Also it's great for me to hear if you can run, I know I will be able to walk. I go tomorrow for my first consultation with the Doctor for my prosthesis and am so nervous and anxious.

I am now armed with much new info re:Harmony etc and what to ask for.

So wish me luck.

Phyl :o

Phyl,

YOU CAN DO IT..... I remember after the revision surgery being anxious to get my check socket b/cause I wanted so much to walk again.

It's sites like this that are so helpful to new amputees so they can post questions about components and find out what others are using and then bring that information to their prosthetist and ask them the questions and get a great leg.

I have been really lucky as far as my legs are concerned and my Prosthetist is so caring and concerned with each and everyone of his patients. I hope your's is the same.

Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted. :D

Great article Brenda!! Have a safe and terrific run. :D

Vicki

Hi all,

First off I wanted to say thank you for all your kind words and the encouragement you provide me. I know I have been an amputee for many years and should except it but really it wasn't until the last year that I really excepted it and didn't let things like people staring bother me. Having found this site and others like it was a good thing for me because you all encourage one another and I know that I am not alone like I used to feel so many times.

Tomorrow has been weighing on my mind so much and I've even been sick to my stomach I guess it's the excitement of the race. (I've never done anything of this magnatude before)

Anyway EACH of you HAVE given me SO MUCH and I thank you. The MOMS out there you are wonderful to come on a site such as this and post your fears and sorrows my HAT goes off to you.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU

P.S Heather thank you for a wonderful site.

Hi everyone,

I ran my best time ever today. I actaully finished in 51.51 and ran 2.5 miles out of the 3.1. The weather was rainy, windy and cool but I think it helped me with my time. I wrapped the foot part of my Leg to keep it from getting wet b/cause I don't want to ruin it.

Now for a funny part of the race. I am on the home stretch running at a slow pace so I could powerhouse the ending when this kid was staring at my leg. His dad said stop staring and of course since I heard him I yelled back he can stare if he wants. :lol:

Congratulations !!!!! :lol: What an accomplishment.. I know your family must be super proud of you.....

Vicki

:D Hey...hey...Brenda !!!

A beer will be drunk in your honor ;) Thank you for giving us your experience

of the day.....I hope you are keeping a journal of this....someday you will

have enough for a book ;)

Hugs & kisses,

Dennis