Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Brenda

Introduction / My First 5K / My Best Time Ever

vicki and Dennis,

Thank you for the kind words... Yes my family is very proud of me..

Dennis I am keeping a journal and jotting down things that i remember as a child even.

Brenda :D

hey brenda, u sure live up to the quote 'sky is the limit'. Reading your piece makes me feel like a complete loser! I've been an AK amputee for 11yrs now and i can barely walk. I used to think it was my fate, but hey! u've inspired me. i really hope that i can find a way to be as active as u are - i'm sure it will make me feel much better than i am. Congratulations! on your achievement and i hope and pray that u will go way beyond that. Good luck and God bless always.

Sandy,

You are in no way a loser. You just lost your way along the way and that can happen to the best of us. It happened to me shortly after my revision I got the poor me syndrom real bad when the leg hurt and I couldn't walk more then two steps at a time. It would have been so easy for me to put the leg in the closet and say screw it I'm in a wheelchair for the rest of my life or use crutches but my loving family and wonderful friends saw me through it all. I also met some awesome amputees on the internet that would encourage me as well and I am proud to call these guys and women my friends.

I read your post about loosing your feminity and not being able to wear high heals anymore and I can understand how you feel. I have worn high heals about a 1 1/2 inch heal height was all I could wear because of deformed toes on my left foot (I no longer wear heals but I can wear a flat sandel or flat heals) You can be sexy or apealing you just have to have a positive attitude you don't change your apperance b/cause of an amputation you change your apperance because of attitude. The most beautiful person in the world can be ugly because of attitude and the ugliest person can be beautiful because of attitude. I figured out a long time ago that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone is beautiful in their own way.

I am doing what I do to help other amputees to know they can do anything they want and I feel good when I help one person. I am glad you enjoyed my article and I am VERY HAPPY I INSPIRED YOU. :D

Keep your CHIN UP and you will do great things.

Brenda <_<

Hi Brenda,

LOL on the kid staring! You know that being visible and active is the best role modeling you can do! Congratulations on your time...did you feel the wind or was it all Brenda powered motion?

You inspire me to try harder, thanks for sharing your stories.

Always lurking around somewhere,

Lark

Lark,

No unfortunetly the wind didn't help me at all in fact it was a cross wind and kind of hindered me but all in all it was a good run. I loved it so much I'm taining for another 5K on 5/24.

I am glad that I have touched you life in a positive way.

Brenda :wub:

I thought I would give an update on how my training is going. I went out running tonight and ran the whole 3.1 miles and my time was 50.37.

Hey Brenda,

How was the weather? Shaved a bit off your time...how do you feel? Exhausted? Is it getting easier? Do you do anything to keep yourself focused on the end? Must get rough in the last bit, do you have a mantra or something to help you make that last extra push?

Nicely done,

Lark

YOU GO BRENDA,

Good for you. :o

Keep it up and keep letting us know how you do it, so we can get out

there too. :wub:

Phyllis

Thank you Phyllis and Lark,

Lark lets see the weather was a little warm but that is why I waited until 7:00 Pm to run. Yes I did shave a little bit off my time and I felt so great. I was not exahausted I tried to remember to breath deep so my recovery time was good. I use my radio to keep me focused and also I'll pick a mailbox light post or something and say I'm going to jog to that point then walk and I found myself running further when I did that because I would say well since I can run to here I'll try for the next mailbox or light post etc.

My therapist helped me a great deal when I was training for my first couple of runs she would run with me and would coach me on things to think about. One thing was remembering to keep my core as straight as possible, keep hands low and don't cross them infront of my body, breath deep and relax, pace myself by starting out slow and use the stored energy for my ending, and most importantly stretch before I run that helps the muscles.

Hi Brenda,

I wanted to wish you luck for your race. I am an above knee amputee from the Uk. I lost my leg in a Motorcycle accident in Paris just under two years ago and promised myself that I would run again.

It has taken me ages to get a running leg, but I now have a great Pink one. I also met Todd and Dennis in the Uk in February and was taught to run by Todd. They are an amazing pair. I am now up to 25 paces leg over leg. I have completed an application from to take part in a 5k run in the autumn, which I am aslo organising for the Limbless Association.

I wanted to wish you good luck in your race. :D

Kiera

It isn't where you came from it is where you're going that counts. Ella Fitzgerald (1917-1996)

Kiera,

Thank you... I'm so happy you got to meet Dennis and Todd they are such an inspiration. Good luck with your running it sounds like you are going to do great. Keep us posted on how you do....

WAY TO GO

Best Regards,

Brenda

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an update on how my race went on Sat. I ran faster and my time was almost 2 minutes faster as well. I finished with a time of 49.53. I had been really practicing so I could brake the 50 minute mark. I was very happy and on the last part of the race I really pushed myself and it was worth it. I did my personal best and had a great time.

Best Regards

Brenda

RoadRunner.gif

Brenda challenges the roadrunner for most distance covered in the shortest amount of time!!

Well done, your training is really paying off!

Persistence over time equals results...you are fabulous!

Stay real,

Lark

Lark,

Thank you for the kind words. I am one of those people when told you can't or shouldn't do something I prove them wrong. I haven't practiced at all this week because I had the case of the lazies but today I went out to run thinking I would do worse than my race. I actually surprised myself and ran 49.41 :D not much better but I'll take it. I also stop the clock when I have to take the leg off and wipe the sweat and that time was 42.29 so I know I could run down there in the 30's I just have to find some way of keeping my leg from sweating down.

Brenda

I'm living life to the fullest. :unsure:

Hi Brenda,

Gee, that must be a real hiccup in your progress to have to stop because of sweat buildup. Don't they have any of that wick away fabric that you could use so that there is better evaporation around your leg? You know I am coming at this from total ignorance but it seems awfully annoying for you, there must be other runners who don't have to do this. I can imagine that if your leg stays too wet you would have trouble with chafing and blisters, couldn't your running leg be ventilated somehow to allow for air flow and still be strong enough for you to run on it? Is there a gel pack/cooling insert that would help? Back to the drawing board and get whoever to help you get this fine tuned!

All things are possible until they are proved impossible - and

even the impossible may only be so, as of now.

*Pearl S. Buck

(1892-1973, American Novelist)

I love quotes!

Lark

Lark,

There are specialty legs for running but unfortunetly my current one is not one of them. I got this leg because it was good for walking but I could also run with it. The only problem is that I sweat and lose volume so therefore I have to stop and add socks or take the whole leg off and wipe it down. My inurance company would only pay for one leg and I guess the walking leg kind of dictated what I picked for a leg. I am working on getting some sponsorships so that I can have a running leg made. I'll let you know how it all goes I'm really looking forward to this endevour.

Brenda Living life to the fullest.

Hi all,

I go Tuesday July 1st for fitting on a running Leg. I am so looking forward to it and when I receive the leg am going to start hitting the pavement again and really concentrate on training for the Marathon. I also am trying to decide if I want to run one that is in my town in Nov have to make up my mind soon so I can train for it as well. Let me know what you think should I or should I not do two marathons so close together?

Thanks for all your encouragement it means a lot to me.

Brenda

Living Life to The Fullest

Brenda

I just wanted to say what an inspiration you are to amputees. Your enthusiasm on these boards really uplifts me every time I read your posts. Congratulations on what you have achieved so far and I'm sure you can only improve! :D

PS: Good luck with the fitting!

Mandy,

I never thought in a million years that I would be an inspiration to other amputees especially after so many years of very little contact with others. The one thing that I have learned in the last year is that we can inspire each other. The little things can mean so much and you never know whose life you will touch. I am thrilled that you found this forum and encourage you to post as much as you can.

Brenda

"...To find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better... to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hurray a running leg!! Congratulations! I hope it gives you an extra lift when you are steaming down the roadways.

3D_balloons.gif

Update on the leg.. I went yesterday for the fitting on my running leg and found out today that my insurance is going to pay for it at 100% no deductable and no co-pay...... Woo Hoo!!! I should have it in a couple of weeks and I'll be hitting the pavement to start my training again. In Nov I am going to be running a Half Marathon (13.1 miles) vs the Marathon that way I'm not doing two marathons so close together. I want to make running a life time career not a short lived one so I'm not going to push my luck.

I'll keep you all posted and thank you so much for all your encouragement and kind words they mean a lot to me.

Brenda

"... To find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better... to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi All,

I went the other day to try on the check socket and it fit perfectly so they are now working on the final product. They said it will be ready at the end of next week or begining of the following but I will be leaving on Vacation so won't be able to get it until I return. When I go to pick it up I have to spend half the day over there so they can watch me running to make sure the leg is going to work for me. I know it will so I'm not worried. I can't wait until I receive it and can start running again.

Brenda

I am registered for the Disney Marathon that will be held in Jan of 2004. I go to my first meeting on Aug 20th and I'm very excited about it. I should be getting my leg here in the next few days so I can start my training for that race and my other one that is in Nov. I hope I can compete in a few local 5K's as well.

Brenda

Go Brenda!!!

How awesome for you and a great inspiration for the rest of us!

:D

Congrats!! Show's all the others what can be done with a good attitude and of course support from friends,family, and good medical people. Waiting on my fitting for my protetics,yes kinda nervous. :unsure: You are a very good inspiration! Good luck in your quest. God bless everyone. :D Vince