Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Brenda

Introduction / My First 5K / My Best Time Ever

Brenda,

You continue to be an inspiration to us all. Thank you for touching our life with your courage. We are all very proud to have you as part of our forum.

Best regards,

WOO HOO!!! After a long wait my running leg is finally finished and I go friday to try it on and they also want me to run on the treadmill so they can make any needed adjustments.

I will begin running again on Saturday and will be keeping track of my time as I go so I can see my imporvements.

Disney Marathon Here I come......

Brenda

Well my running leg wasn't ready just the check socket and they wanted me to run with the leg to make sure the socket fit so they could make any needed adjustments before the final leg was made. The foot is absolutely AWSOME!!! I wore the leg for about 3 hrs and ran on and off over that period of time they wanted me to run outside but a rain storm came in and kept me from doing that until about a half hour before I was leaving. After I ran outside my CP made a few adjustments then said I've seen all I needed to. Gave me the choice to take the leg home for the weekend or leave it with them so they could make the final leg. I let them keep it so I could have it soon. I go friday to pic it up and I'm so excited.

Brenda AKA Cheetah..... lol

cheetah.jpg

So you think of yourself as a cheetah... here all this time I've been thinking of you as "the roadrunner" LOL

Such great news about your running leg working out for you! Be sure and tell us how much of a difference it makes with your running time. Hope it feels comfortable and you can wear it longer, you won't have to stop and wipe this one right? Built for speed?! Is it the same weight as your other leg or will you have to adjust?

You are going to have the runners at the Disney marathon gaping as you whip by them all!!

Best of luck and speed,

Lark

Lark,

I love the picture of the Cheetah. I got the leg Cheetah foot and all what a wonderful difference. I ran to the stop sign and back twice and noticed my speed was a little faster. I am going tomorrow to train so I will be sure to post my distance and time. I think it will be a slow run so I can work my way up since I haven't run in a little over two months. The leg is very light I think the weight is about 1 to 2 lbs. I won't have to stop to wipe the sweat out so I should be able to take lots of minutes off my time. Will just have to wait and see.

I'm at least going to give everyone a run for their money.

post-12-1062177315.jpg

I ran today 3.1 miles today and my time was 46.16 which is almost 3 1/2 minutes faster than my last race. I haven't run any since June so I thought I did pretty good. I had the florida heat and plus I didn't feel to great this morning. Once my endurance builds up I think I can realistically run a 5K in about 30 minutes.

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

Wow, your running leg looks amazing! Does it have much spring to it? It looks like it would take the impact and distribute it away from your upper leg well. How does it feel? Now that you don't have to stop and wipe sweat anymore, your focus is going to improve as well as your running speed. Full concentration for putting the pavement behind you... a booster for you all around! Congratulations on your improved running speed, cutting over three minutes when you aren't feeling your best, nice one. Are you going to get a running shirt with your new emblem on it?

Cheetah bounds ahead!

cheetah_run_new.gif

GO Brenda!

Catch today and be happy,

Lark

Lark,

I think the leg is amazing and it feels so great. Yes it does have a lot of spring and does keep the impact away from the residule limb. I had no sores or read spots when I was finished which was great. I was very happy to shed the little bit that I did off my time especially considering that I wasn't feeling my best. My therapist told me I should have called and canceled but I was to excited to be running again. I haven't planned on getting a shirt but that is a thought.

Brenda AKA Cheetah..

Hi All,

I hate to keep posting stuff about me running but I thought you might be interested in seeing me in action with the leg.

post-12-1062178059.jpg

Excellent! Poetry in motion. Are you getting a better lift? Must be a help when you can push off from a stable base that lets you spring forward in a comfort. Beautiful.

Hey Brenda,

Seeing your new leg, instead of Cheetah, maybe we should give you the name "Roo" as in Kangeroo!!! Boing, Boing, Boing.... :lol: LOL It's probably a good thing you live in a warm climate too. I bet it would be hell getting a pair of long pants on with it. :) I'm just funnin with ya. go for it!

Kep B)

Bah! Don't listen to him Brenda!

Your new leg looks just like the svelt-like foot of a sleek and speedy cheetah B)

Mandy

Kep don't you dare dump your lame drivel on Brenda, she is runner with a beautiful, properly designed leg that is going to assist her to run faster, with stablity, comfort and confidence.

Terry Fox had to run his Marathon of Hope on a leg that was nothing more than what looked like a stick with a hydraulic spring from a bike. The advanced prosthetic that Brenda has is awesome. She can run with an ease that was unheard of twenty years ago when Terry was making his 26 mile a day trek across Canada. He had to run/hop in order to make progress. If something like this fabulous leg had been available to him he may have been able to go further and actually finish his goal of running across Canada before Cancer developed in his lungs and took his life.

fox1.jpg

Hey Lark and Mandy,

I have met Kep and know he is just pulling my leg so I take no offense to what he said.

Kep,

Don't pull my leg to hard you might pull it off. LOL

Well actually there is no chance of you doing that because it is vacuumed on and from what my cp has told me it will hold for about 7 hrs before I go flat on my a@$... OOPS can I say that. LOL

Brenda AKA Cheetah..

Since Brenda is okay with what you had to say Kep, I guess I misunderstood your tone and I apologize.

Brenda & Lark,

Thanks for posting those pics of Kep & Brenda's legs. I just got my 1st walking leg and am having some probs. Walking is O.K., but it is bulky and I had no idea how a hip disartic.AK leg would look and feel.

After seeing the things you & Kep did and how those 2 look, I will now try harder to make sure it is used and not parked in my closet.

Thanks again for the pics, they were really helpful.

Phyl

Phyl,

A Hip disartic is a lot harder than a BK or AK so don't be so hard on yourself and yes they are a lot more bulky. I'm glad you are not going to leave the leg in the closet because I have seen a Hip disartic amp walk with her prosthesis and she walks quite well. Yes it is harder but it can happen. She uses a cane outside the house but none at home where she feels a lot more safe. I have not seen her in a while but last I knew she was still doing great. Keep your chin up and your sprits high.

You can do it!!! B)

Brenda AKA Cheetah

post-12-1062194278.jpg

Hi everyone,

My training is going pretty good and I've been able to add distance and also able to lower my time as well. I thought I would give you a few of my runs so you can see what I've been able to accomplish.

I ran 6 miles in 1hr 30min 23sec that was a 15.04 minute mile..

I ran 3.1 miles two times once my time was 46.23 which was a 15 minute mile

my second time was 42.23 which was a 13.40 minute mile.

I have consistantly run between a 10 and 15 minute mile and I feel very good with this time right now anyway.

I will post other times in my training period and if I don't post them for a while it's cause I don't want to bore you to much.

This leg is proving to be a asset to me in everyway.

Brenda AKA Cheetah

Brenda,

No way are you boring anyone here with your progress reports. You energize and inspire us. Decreasing your time and increasing your distance is terrific. January's marathon is going to be a triumph for you. Have you seen the "Kangoo jumps" jogging boots? I saw a picture of someone jogging with them in the paper the other day. Just a thought, I'm not sure if it would really throw off your balance but one of these on your other leg when you are training might really save the wear and tear on your knee. picture13.jpg

Lisa Osborne, World Aerobic champion 97 & Kangoo'Robic Master Trainer - Australia

picture21.jpg

Lark

I had the privilege of meeting Brenda and seeing her run this past weekend at the Fitness for Everyone Clinic in Tampa. I am looking forward to cheering her on in January at the Disney race.

Talk about Boing, Boing, Boing (Kep's words), those Kangaroo boots are wild. I wonder if it feels like being on a mobile trampoline!?!

I bet Brenda will knock their socks off, without the roo boots. You go girl!!! :lol:

:wub:

Hello Brenda,

I think it's wonderful, especially you posting the pictures, you make it look so easy. Way to go. Oh, i check out that web site "Fitness for Everyone" is really inspiriational just listening to the videos on these guys. Can't wait til they come close to Dallas, Texas.

Take care, and stay Fast...

Irene

Lark,

I think I'd kill myself with those boots so I'll pass........ Thanks for sharing though.

Brenda

I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to work them either. Balance wise they look like a real challenge, supposed to take the stress off your joints though, sounded good that way. Did I give you a laugh?

I just found a picture of the testing process

cat1.gif

b4coffee.jpg

Lark,

Yes you did give me a good laugh. I was trying to figure out if these would work with my running leg but I don't think so plus I think I'd kill myself even if they did. Nice thought though. Tomorrow I go and train with my coach and group that I'm training and we are supposed to run 6 miles. This will be the first time I have run with a group since my last race back in May. I feel a little bit of a competitve side of me coming out(wonder if I'll be able to leave them in the dust) :D

Brenda :P

I'm not going to post any of my times right now but wanted to let you all know that I am going to compete in a 10K(6.1miles) race on sunday. It happens to be at Disney so I will get a feel for what it will be like on Jan 11th. I am very excited about running this sunday and will let you all know how I do. I also have a few other races scheduled one on Oct 24th, Nov 8th and then Nov 30th. I raced this pass saturday I was supposed to run an off road race but it had rained so much I was afraid that I would fall so I changed my race status from a runner (3.1 mile run) to a walker (2 mile walk). I walked it in 25.15 minutes and was 28th out of 143 walkers.

Brenda AKA Cheetah.